Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 12 Blog: Coach Carousel

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    They're not based on real coaches
    But yet he is rated at an A+?

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    You can edit coaches in the Dynasty (Edit Coach Info tab) and PB is right - once you are the head coach, the mode is designed for you to be the reason you succeed or fail.

I played out an entire season as the Akron OC and ended up with 76% Job Security and offers to be OC at Arizona and Baylor. I failed some goals along the way and that would probably only increase with higher goals at bigger programs.

The tough part is designing a mode like this where casual players (who only play a few seasons of Dynasty) can get a head coach job while also making it realistic in nature so you can't go from (created coach) Akron OC to Ohio State HC in one season, for example.

Though, "hardcore" players like us are going to set difficulty level and sliders for a more realistic and challenging experience, which should slow our movement up the rank. We may have to establish some house rules on moving up the ranks, but I think the experience can be customized enough to make it as challenging as users want.
    Yeah perhaps a "slider" that could adjust the goal difficulty (i.e. more punishment for missing a goal(s) less credit for making goal(s) and/or just harder goal(s) to meet) would help. I'm sure people will come up with all kinds of interesting rules/guidelines that are easy to follow and make for a better/more realistic coaching career.

They're not based on real coaches
    Be careful. Next think you know you will be a defendant and/or a witness being deposed in a lawsuit b/c of some Coach's "likeness" was used w/o their permission.

So if I start as the OC at Syracus with my custom playbook and I put down that my alma mater is Syracus, there is a good chance that one day I will be offered the head coaching gig at Syracuse right??? Second, on average, how long do you act as a coordinator before you start to entertain head coach jobs???

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah perhaps a "slider" that could adjust the goal difficulty (i.e. more punishment for missing a goal(s) less credit for making goal(s) and/or just harder goal(s) to meet) would help. I'm sure people will come up with all kinds of interesting rules/guidelines that are easy to follow and make for a better/more realistic coaching career.

Be careful. Next think you know you will be a defendant and/or a witness being deposed in a lawsuit b/c of some Coach's "likeness" was used w/o their permission.
    Uh oh...the resident lawyer caught me.

In regards to Boise....they have "been there" but never gotten over that hump, so maybe a little drop in the job security to fire the coach up? He may have had goals of going to the BCS title game because so many starters came back...and they didn't get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    So if I start as the OC at Syracus with my custom playbook and I put down that my alma mater is Syracus, there is a good chance that one day I will be offered the head coaching gig at Syracuse right??? Second, on average, how long do you act as a coordinator before you start to entertain head coach jobs???
    It's possible. I have seen quite a few instances in my many many sims where they have promoted from within.

It depends on where you're coordinator at and how you do. It's possible to get a head coach job at a small school after year one of a good performance.

i think it's really up to you and how you want to play it... i'm sure if you do well right out of the gate you'll get offers from minor schools... it's up to you to take it or leave it....plan your own path ...that's half the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Bomb View Post
    i think it's really up to you and how you want to play it... i'm sure if you do well right out of the gate you'll get offers from minor schools... it's up to you to take it or leave it....plan your own path ...that's half the fun
    Yep, you can set yourself up rules like a) you have to honor your contract b) you can't move from a small time OC/DC to HC until you're a OC/DC of a BCS school, etc.

Another Q popped into my head. Let's say you arte offensive coordinator. As you are watching the game (defense) are you able to 1. challenge a play and 2. call a timeout and 3. swelect play style (conservative, aggressive, etc). I suspect you can't but just curious...

Another Q popped into my head. Let's say you arte offensive coordinator. As you are watching the game (defense) are you able to 1. challenge a play and 2. call a timeout and 3. swelect play style (conservative, aggressive, etc). I suspect you can't but just curious...
    None of the above as you're watching a super sim, I believe.

The only way you can do 1 or 2 is possibly if you're watching the play go instead of super sim, but I never tried doing that.

People.... "LIKE" the video clip of facebook and once 643,000ish is hit, we will get part two of the video!!!

Yep, you can set yourself up rules like a) you have to honor your contract b) you can't move from a small time OC/DC to HC until you're a OC/DC of a BCS school, etc.
    Yep, I'm already in the process of setting up rules for myself. So far, my first draft of coaching rules consist of:

• May only be OC/DC for first 5-6 years of dynasty.
    • May only move on to higher rated OC/DC jobs after end of first contract.
    • May only make jump to Head Coach if going to a mid-major school.
    • May only make jump to Head Coach of major school after 5 years HC experience at mid-major.
    • Must honor contract years in full, except:
    • May leave via escape clause if offered a coaching contract from Navy (alma mater)

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yep, I'm already in the process of setting up rules for myself. So far, my first draft of coaching rules consist of:
    Those are some excellent rules. I plan on doing one similar (more of an outline than just rules):

• Starting as an OC - must complete first contract (most likely 2 years)
    • Must spend no less than 3 seasons as OC of first school (most likely a program)
    • Next stop as OC can't be higher prestige than prestige of previous school (most likely no higher than a program) but can't be in a power conference.
    • Must spend at least 3 more seasons as OC at next stop and finish first contract offered from school.
    • At this point, can accept HC job at or schools only but have access to and power conference teams as OC.
    • If HC at lower school, must stay there until brought up to status before moving on - If OC with power conference team, must stay at least 3 seasons and/or finish out first contract.
    • At this point, all and HC jobs are open game outside of power conferences.
    • After 5 seasons there (finishing at least first contract with new team), all schools available.
    • Only exception, is if, after first HC gig, offer for OC or HC for alma mater (WVU) becomes available can opt out of current contract to go home.

Yeah, I'm going to work on it some and flesh it out more between now and release day. Those I just basically came up with in a matter of minutes of thought. I definitely like your set up how you have things currently. I might have to borrow some of those ideas and incorporate them into my rules/outline.

Yeah, I'm going to work on it some and flesh it out more between now and release day. Those I just basically came up with in a matter of minutes of thought. I definitely like your set up how you have things currently. I might have to borrow some of those ideas and incorporate them into my rules/outline.
    That is what's great about the feature it has to be designed for any one to use, but you can set up your own set of rules. If you get offers from teams that you dont think you should or wouldn't receive irl you can decline it. Once you do this the CPU will fill its position then a smaller program will have a open spot that you may be interested in. The cool thing is we have more options and I cool with that.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Yeah, I was just thinking of a way to really make it last and I think being the OC/DC for a few years will really help progress the dynasty much quicker. Saying I get the requests that I think I will at the time that I have planned above, I'm looking at least 6 completed seasons deep into the dynasty before I even have a chance to taste a HC job and at least 9 seasons deep before I have a chance of going to my alma mater. Should definitely help make the dynasty more interesting as I could take the long route (OC power conference school before getting the HC/OC gig at WVU) and it would probably be 12+ seasons before I get a job at WVU.

Before starting any of my dynasties, I plan to just sim through a good 15 seasons of one to see what happens. Hopefully we don't have progression issues like last year at first. Really ruined any chances of going deep into a dynasty early.

Oops... one other coordinator Q... who controls special teams???

Oops... one other coordinator Q... who controls special teams???
    Not positive but I think whomever's it falls under (ie OC controls FGs/Punts, DC controls FG Block/Punt Returns).

What is the youngest age you can start as a OC/Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill10 View Post
    What is the youngest age you can start as a OC/Coach?
    22-68 is the age range for coaches. They will start to retire at 65, unless user-controlled.

IIRC, when you create a coach you do not edit Age. You can edit Age when editing coaches from Edit Coach menu either on the front end or within Dynasty (if you can edit at all during Dynasty, you may not be able to).