Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Conference Musical Chairs

• Facebook
  • Display
    That would suck. I don't want to see us play our division only each year. I like playing LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc. every now and then. We have our rivalries we play every year... Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Tech, and I want to see those continue, but it seems like some weird things are going to happen.

Honestly, I think one of the conferences you mentioned will go down if it happens with three 16 team super conferences. The ACC will lose teams to the SEC more than likely and get teams from the Big East which will probably ruin the Big East.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Mountain West opts not to expand

No Boise State to MWC now.

Opts not to expand ... yet.

Boise State was talked about quite a bit, they're just waiting to see what other fallout there is.

Honestly, I don't quite follow the strategy. Get Boise now, then expand with the Big 12 teams that are available in the coming months. Last I checked you could expand more than once ...
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

At this point with everything being talked about, I'd like us to just go back to the Big 8 At least then we could play Oklahoma every year. I was against going to the Big 10 initially, but now I'm liking it more and more. It's completely turning into a "screw those not in Texas" conference. The idea of replacing Colorado with Iowa the day after Thanksgiving would be cool....still got Mizzou for the built-in rivalry. Oklahoma is never going to be the same rivalry thanks to the Big XII anyways, so why say "what about tradition" when the Big XII completely killed some of the greatest tradition by having Nebraska and Oklahoma play two years on and two years off. So as the days go on, I'm warming up to the idea of being in the Big 10 more now.

Here's another question - what is EA's NCAA team going to do about these scenarios next year if new conferences are formed but don't start until 2012? That could be a pain in the ass. Let's hope they let us create our own conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Here's another question - what is EA's NCAA team going to do about these scenarios next year if new conferences are formed but don't start until 2012? That could be a pain in the ass. Let's hope they let us create our own conferences.
    If I remember right, when the big shift happened the last time, they programmed it that after the first season, the shift happened correctly. I'm sure it'd be a bitch to program but it could happen.

It's also possible that when they put custom conferences in last year, they may have started work on a custom number of teams for conferences. If they did, then they would be ready for it, and they would just have to work on the conference logo assets.

At this point here are my thoughts:

-Ideally, if there was a guarantee that expansion to massive superconferences would NEVER happen, and the landscape of college football would remain largely similar to what it is now: I would hope Nebraska would stay in the Big 12. We are in a prime position under Pelini & with the facilities and recruiting base, to DOMINATE the North Division for years to come. If you can do that, it comes down to one game that you have to beat Texas or OU in most years to get to a BCS and possibly a NC game. That is about the easiest road to return to college football's eliteprograms (win/loss wise) every year. It really doesn't matter that the conference is run by Texas, because all you have to do is beat them on a consistent basis & the money will take care of itself.

-Since there is ABSOLUTLEY NO WAY that conference expansion does not happen within the next 5 years: I think Nebraska should and will go to the Big 10 conference. There aren't any teams available for the Big 12 to add in an expansion scenario that have close to the appeal of the Big 10. Who could they add? TCU? New Mexico (St)? Colorado St? PASS!!! I think Nebraska needs to look ahead to what is only a matter of time, and get the best seat available to them before the music stops. A conference with Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Iowa, Wisconsin, & possibly Notre Dame sounds like a much better conference to the alternative IMO. Yes it'll be a tougher road to National prominence, but it's the move that has to be made IMO.

I wish things stay the same but Nebraska in the Big 10 would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I wish things stay the same but Nebraska in the Big 10 would be fun.
    Oh yes

Sounds like a decision could come by the end of the week. Osborne wants to get it done and decided on ASAP.

I'm thinking Nebraska and Mizzou are gonna hit up that Big 13 deal. I would be shocked if ND makes it 14, but that's what I would like to see happen. If NEB and MIZZ go, welcome to the PAC 16. The PAC 10 has the most to offer, and makes the most sense in the current setup for Texas and it's lump sum demands. I don't see it any other way. If Nebraska and Mizzou stay however, everything could take a big chill pill, and we'd have to wait until the new contracts with tv and blah blah blah are up, which could be many, many years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    I'm thinking Nebraska and Mizzou are gonna hit up that Big 13 deal. I would be shocked if ND makes it 14, but that's what I would like to see happen. If NEB and MIZZ go, welcome to the PAC 16. The PAC 10 has the most to offer, and makes the most sense in the current setup for Texas and it's lump sum demands. I don't see it any other way. If Nebraska and Mizzou stay however, everything could take a big chill pill, and we'd have to wait until the new contracts with tv and blah blah blah are up, which could be many, many years down the road.
    From what I gather, it could be done as early as next year.

Recruit
    I hope somehow, Baylor is included in that Pac 10 deal, but I doubt it happens. I think us Baylor fans will be left out in the cold.

CDJ just told me that the Big East may come for the Big XII left overs (KU, KSU, ISU). Imagine if KU joins that conference in regards to basketball .... JESUS

The Big East-Midwest?

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Wow, I don't know if I like that or not. The Big East is already having trouble with travel costs having to fly all up and down the East Coast. Adding midwest teams to that would make it even more difficult. Would be pretty damn cool for basketball though.

Quote Originally Posted by UGA14 View Post
    The Big East-Midwest?
    Just like the Pac-Mid 10

Nebraska might join the Big Ten as early as Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Nebraska might join the Big Ten as early as Friday!
    Sounds like a done deal....just posted on Twitter. I was told Orangebloods.com is pretty reliable.

RT @ChipBrownOB: Orangebloods.com: Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten. A formal announcement will come Friday.