Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: General College Sports Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    there are consequences for those actions when/if caught.
    Not nearly harsh enough to slow it down. The reward is FAR greater than the small risk of getting caught. Some of the most heavily cited teams for violations are consequently the ones trumpeted over the past 10 years as being the best in college football wins and hype on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Not nearly harsh enough to slow it down. The reward is FAR greater than the small risk of getting caught. Some of the most heavily cited teams for violations are consequently the ones trumpeted over the past 10 years as being the best in college football wins and hype on ESPN.
    Again, I don't disagree. If I were King of college athletics there would be SEVERAL universities right now with a Death Penalty and several more with a DECADE+ long post-season ban.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Again, I don't disagree. If I were King of college athletics there would be SEVERAL universities right now with a Death Penalty and several more with a DECADE+ long post-season ban.
    which would kill profits and raise tuitions and make real unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    kill profits (don't care)

raise tuitions - DOUBTFUL - college athletics do NOTHING about tuitions - if anything the lack of major sports would force Univ to lower tuition due to noone wanting to go to a school with no football/basketball program

unpopular - again don't care I'm King and noone can take away my crown.

kill profits (don't care)

raise tuitions - DOUBTFUL - college athletics do NOTHING about tuitions - if anything the lack of major sports would force Univ to lower tuition due to noone wanting to go to a school with no football/basketball program

unpopular - again don't care I'm King and noone can take away my crown.
    well, ultimately we know the monster is too big and your solution wouldn't work anywho.

I read somewhere else that the NCAA will play nicey nice now because when the playoffs start growing they don't want to left out of the money making picture. I don't know how that works but its just what heard.

see, the NCAA is trying to paint a nice image now LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    Wrong on tuition.

What it would kill would be paying for all the secondary/non-revenue sports.......that's what the big money from big football and basketball do -> pay for the rest of the athletic department.

Agreed!

CLW, you're a lawyer, what's up with ?
    John Wayne's family, university 'Duke' it out
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/09/showbi...ute/index.html

NCAA board votes to allow autonomy

The power conferences in major college sports just got more powerful -- maybe a lot more so.

The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted 16-2 to allow the schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.

"This keeps Division I together," board chairman and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said. "I'm thrilled that Division I and all its virtues can be maintained, and I think this is the pathway to do so."

The top 64 schools in the richest five leagues (the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) plus Notre Dame can submit their own legislation by Oct. 1 and have it enacted at the January 2015 NCAA convention in Washington, D.C. Several presidents said Thursday that the full cost-of-attendance stipends, which could be worth between $2,000 and $5,000 per player, likely would be the first item taken up. The NCAA approved those stipends three years ago, but legislation was halted when the full membership voted it down. Four-year scholarship guarantees are expected to be on the early agenda, as well.

"I think you'll see those issues be acted on very aggressively, right away," NCAA president Mark Emmert said.

Other new rules the biggest conferences could enact include loosened restrictions involving contact between players and agents, letting players pursue outside paid career opportunities and covering expenses for players' families to attend postseason games. Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play.

Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance stipends. That could create an even larger competitive imbalance between schools in the power conferences and those in leagues like the Sun Belt, MAC or even in the FCS.

"There is a risk the gap will grow; I think we ought to be candid about that," Rice president David W. Leebron said. "We're in a world of radically different resources. But those schools with more resources ... will have some ability to spend those resources in ways that are actually more rational, particularly with a priority on student-athlete welfare."

Hatch said there was "some conflict" and disagreement in the board's discussion about autonomy, which passed without a unanimous vote. Ultimately, though, even those schools that don't stand to benefit from the new structure did not want to lose their relationships with the power conferences and desired to protect competitions like the NCAA basketball tournament.

Well, the death of college sports can't come soon enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    "This keeps Division I together," board chairman and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said. "I'm thrilled that Division I and all its virtues can be maintained, and I think this is the pathway to do so."[/I]
    I checked and lightning did not hit Mr. Hatch after those comments. How this did not happen? I have no cluse.