Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General College Sports Talk

• Facebook
  • Display

General College Sports Talk

From Bryan Fischer at CBS Sports:

Nebraska getting the boot from AAU is interesting b/c the university's chancellor Harvey Perlman is in charge of the NCAA's bowl task force

Wow. I didn't even know they were in danger of losing it. Shows how much attention I pay to Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Nebraska getting the boot from AAU is interesting b/c the university's chancellor Harvey Perlman is in charge of the NCAA's bowl task force
    Since the two (NCAA and AAU) are almost utterly unrelated, I fail to see how that's 'interesting'. Meh.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Since the two (NCAA and AAU) are almost utterly unrelated, I fail to see how that's 'interesting'. Meh.
    True, but what terrible media coverage as you are about to enter a new conference and this is your lead-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    True, but what terrible media coverage as you are about to enter a new conference and this is your lead-in.
    And that new conference is all AAU schools and had even stated that AAU membership was something they were looking at when considering new schools to bring into the conference. While Nebraska didn't get into the Big Ten alone based on their AAU status, so it didn't necessarily help them very much in regards to the whole picture of their school, it also didn't hurt their chances of the Big Ten accepting them.

someone in the big 12 was just mad and greased someones palm to do this. More NCAA corruption fodder

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Oh, absolutely. It's a blow to Nebraska, certainly, and potentially a blow to their academic acceptance by the rest of the conference. But I fail to see the connection made by the CBS reporter between the AAU and the NCAA bowl task force. Unless the theory is that Nebraska was dropped by the AAU because of what the bowl task force is doing -- but that doesn't even make sense.

The AAU has some very ... quirky ... criteria. And Nebraska's university structure puts them behind the 8-ball in terms of AAU membership. It's not the first time they've been at the bottom of the list.

Hopefully ESPN snags him up....

CBS and Gus Johnson have parted ways. http://bit.ly/mp3SqM

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Hopefully ESPN snags him up....

CBS and Gus Johnson have parted ways. http://bit.ly/mp3SqM
    I'll hire him to do 24-hour running commentary on my life.

After a great afternoon of watching Tora! Tora! Tora!, I was all ready to watch Denver take on Virginia in the first semifinal game of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament. If only I knew this game was going to be so bad. Denver's completely letting me down, currently losing to Virginia 9-2 at halftime. Come on Pioneers! Pull it out of your asses! You're on a 12 game winning streak, you held off a tough Villanova team in the first round, and knocked off #3 Johns Hopkins in the quarterfinals. Surely you can beat Virginia!

Ugh. I think it's time to break out the bottle of whiskey, or some other hard liquor. A little over 6 minutes still to play in the 3rd quarter, and it's now 13-3 Virginia winning. I was really hoping I'd get to watch Denver in their first NCAA Championship game Monday afternoon.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/201...on-espn-espnu/

Special Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski to Air June 30 on ESPN & ESPNU

ESPN and ESPNU will provide a unique 90-minute program showcasing a candid and in-depth discussion with two of the most distinguished and legendary coaches in sports Thursday, June 30. Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski will feature Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and Duke men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski on one stage offering insight to the lessons they have learned throughout their lives and passed on to others. The show will air at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and continue at 9 p.m. on ESPNU.

Hosted by ESPN college football and basketball studio and game host Rece Davis, the show will explore topics such as coaching, ethics, integrity, friendship, legacy, pressures and issues associated with intercollegiate athletics, working with student-athletes, and more. Also, the special will examine each coach's roots and the importance of family throughout their lives.

“These leaders have achieved an extraordinary level of success, but their biggest accomplishments are the lessons they have learned along the way and the passion they have for sharing those lessons with others,” said Dan Steir, ESPN senior coordinating producer. “Difference Makers will reveal the essence of both men and what motivates them to continue to impact those around them."

ESPN will shoot Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski on Monday, June 20 in front of an invite-only audience at the Eisenhower Auditorium on the campus of Penn State. Penn State is distributing tickets to the event.

In addition to Paterno and Krzyzewski, the show will include thoughts from guests who have had personal experiences with each coach. Matt Millen and Michael Robinson, who played for Coach Paterno, and Jay Bilas and Jay Williams, who played for Coach Krzyzewski, are scheduled to appear.

The program will include the multiple-topic discussion with several questions from the audience at Penn State during the first hour on ESPN and audience member questions for the entire final 30 minutes on ESPNU.

Coach Paterno said, “I'm looking forward to working with Mike Krzyzewski and participating with students from Penn State and Duke, hopefully we can create something meaningful for others."

Coach Krzyzewski added, "Certainly, I am humbled to share the stage with one of the greatest coaches of all-time in any sport and at any level. I have ultimate respect for Coach Paterno and everything he's accomplished at Penn State. Beyond all the victories and accolades, he is a great leader and teacher. I look forward to spending time with him, and learning from him, at such a special event that involves students from both campuses."

Davis said, "I'm looking forward to the rare chance to have two of the most influential figures in sports share life lessons. The impact that Coach Paterno and Coach K have had on their players outside the competitive arena will be a major part of their legacies. I look forward to hearing how they have adapted to the times in terms of motivation, leadership and team-building. I'm honored to be part of what I'm certain will be a thought-provoking and entertaining discussion between two guys who define class, winning and integrity."

-30-

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Wow, that sounds REALLY interesting. Will definitely have to make sure to watch that one.

I wonder if theyll ask Paterno why he recruits so many white wide receivers ?
    Last edited by ram29jackson; 06-08-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Mr Paterno, would it be more appropriate to call your school "white Linebacker U" ?

The show will air at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and continue at 9 p.m. on ESPNU.
    I completely understand that ESPN has other commitments that they must air ... but damn, that's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    Mr Paterno, would it be more appropriate to call your school "white Linebacker U" ?
    Really?????

Lavar Arrington
    Brandon Short
    Cameron Wake
    Navaro Bowman
    Derek Toyles
    Andre Collins
    Walker Lee Ashley
    Reggie Givens

Do I need to keep going? How about this years starters - Khari Fortt and Gerald Hodges.

I wonder if theyll ask Paterno why he recruits so many white wide receivers ?
    Those are, without question, 2 of the Top 5 Most Insane/Ignorant Posts in the history of TGT.

You really have no clue whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Really?????

Lavar Arrington
    Brandon Short
    Cameron Wake
    Navaro Bowman
    Derek Toyles
    Andre Collins
    Walker Lee Ashley
    Reggie Givens

Do I need to keep going? How about this years starters - Khari Fortt and Gerald Hodges.
    Joe has been around alot longer then just those guys and with 3 linebackers at a time in a backfield, your list is still small...that aside i am of course joking, but it is something to chew on for a bit haha

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Those are, without question, 2 of the Top 5 Most Insane/Ignorant Posts in the history of TGT.

You really have no clue whatsoever.
    haha I am partially kidding, but if you look at it..it appears Penn State gives minor punshments to its white players compared to harder punishments for its black players historically ..I dont really know, but the fact is Penn State will never get close to a number 1 ranking because they try really hard to get guys with character...Penn State has never had a defensive secondary with any closing speed...