Thread: What would you do to improve Superstar Mode?

• Facebook
  • Display

What would you do to improve Superstar Mode?

This mode has so much potential, but is so terrible. year after year nothign changes and it does not get any better. There are never any achievements, there is no skill upgrade, and there is nothing to do but play games. thats it. any ideas to make things better.

In Superstar mode, every few years, the team's coach would change. If the player is productive, and has been with the team, he could help influence personnel decisions.

Honestly in all my years of Madden I have never played it and have no interest. It would really need something to draw me in as I prefer the overall franchise experience. Now if that could be worked in fully, then maybe the mode has potential???

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Make it more like 2k's NBA My Player setup and you'll be fine:

• Bring back the DNA selection setup -- Make it a bit more streamlined (you choose a position and player type like Pocket QB, Scrambling QB, etc) but also make it give your player more of a background - Your player was a career backup at his father's alma mater where he was the best player to ever come out of that school yet you're constantly living in his shadow and working twice as hard as anyone else to make up for your lack of athletic abilities or whatever - Come up with some things that actually make your player a human being instead of just a bland shell
    • Play your part in whatever college allstar game they want to "advertise" -- this part would allow you to add points from the base build of the type that you choose when you created the player
    • Do the combine including the player interview, position drills (come up with something entertaining for them), 40 yard dash, vertical, bench press, etc -- adding more points based on performance standards for your player's abilities; Obviously scrambling QBs are going to wow people with speed and agility (cone drill) but aren't exactly the best at throwing the ball accurately
    • Do the OTAs and Training Camp -- Again, more position drills along with actual film study(to simulate teaching the position and responsibilities of that position to a player that's new to the offense) all of which only gives you points to add to the player, not arbitrarily adding points to whatever; the film study stuff doesn't have to be anything too intense, but something like you being a MLB and having to know what your assignment is based on what the formation the offense is using and what defensive play is chosen would be pretty interesting
    • Don't make the player an immediate starter -- Make you have to work your player through the depth chart with practice giving you points to add to your player's skills; As you increase in ability, your player gets more playing time (based on the depth chart - obviously, if you're the 2nd QB on the depth chart behind Peyton Manning, it's gonna be a while before you even see the field) and, obviously, would get added to special teams and such most likely before actually being the starter at their position. But, the player doesn't have to be the highest rated player at their position to actually move up the depth chart (something that NBA 2k11 does VERY well)
    • Include player interviews in the locker room not at a podium -- It's surprising how interesting it is to have them ask questions about your player in NBA 2k11 after you have a dismal game or an amazing game - only thing is as a bit player, it's highly unlikely that they'll want to talk to you (unlike 2k11 where it's easy to make an impression in the game, be it good or bad, I could see that being more difficult as a special teams only player or something) unless you make a big impression on the game (kickoff for a TD, big fumble recovery returned for a TD on a punt return, etc) which would make the interviews that much more of a big deal when you do make a big impression and get the attention for it
    • When you change teams or get drafted relatively high, it should be a big deal -- When a team drafts you high or you're a talented player coming to a new organization, it's a big deal (unless you're a small role player) so there should be a news conference where you walk up to the podium (after your coach/owner talks about you some) and have a nice generalized statement about how nice it is to be here, blah blah blah (all players have that) and then you have questions from the reporters that you have to answer (building on your background and fleshing it out through the questions from the reporters as an example for the incoming highly touted draftee)

In general, just give the mode more LIFE. Make it about more than just statwhoring your way to breaking every record imaginable at your position.

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Make it more like 2k's NBA My Player setup and you'll be fine:

• Bring back the DNA selection setup -- Make it a bit more streamlined (you choose a position and player type like Pocket QB, Scrambling QB, etc) but also make it give your player more of a background - Your player was a career backup at his father's alma mater where he was the best player to ever come out of that school yet you're constantly living in his shadow and working twice as hard as anyone else to make up for your lack of athletic abilities or whatever - Come up with some things that actually make your player a human being instead of just a bland shell
    • Play your part in whatever college allstar game they want to "advertise" -- this part would allow you to add points from the base build of the type that you choose when you created the player
    • Do the combine including the player interview, position drills (come up with something entertaining for them), 40 yard dash, vertical, bench press, etc -- adding more points based on performance standards for your player's abilities; Obviously scrambling QBs are going to wow people with speed and agility (cone drill) but aren't exactly the best at throwing the ball accurately
    • Do the OTAs and Training Camp -- Again, more position drills along with actual film study(to simulate teaching the position and responsibilities of that position to a player that's new to the offense) all of which only gives you points to add to the player, not arbitrarily adding points to whatever; the film study stuff doesn't have to be anything too intense, but something like you being a MLB and having to know what your assignment is based on what the formation the offense is using and what defensive play is chosen would be pretty interesting
    • Don't make the player an immediate starter -- Make you have to work your player through the depth chart with practice giving you points to add to your player's skills; As you increase in ability, your player gets more playing time (based on the depth chart - obviously, if you're the 2nd QB on the depth chart behind Peyton Manning, it's gonna be a while before you even see the field) and, obviously, would get added to special teams and such most likely before actually being the starter at their position. But, the player doesn't have to be the highest rated player at their position to actually move up the depth chart (something that NBA 2k11 does VERY well)
    • Include player interviews in the locker room not at a podium -- It's surprising how interesting it is to have them ask questions about your player in NBA 2k11 after you have a dismal game or an amazing game - only thing is as a bit player, it's highly unlikely that they'll want to talk to you (unlike 2k11 where it's easy to make an impression in the game, be it good or bad, I could see that being more difficult as a special teams only player or something) unless you make a big impression on the game (kickoff for a TD, big fumble recovery returned for a TD on a punt return, etc) which would make the interviews that much more of a big deal when you do make a big impression and get the attention for it
    • When you change teams or get drafted relatively high, it should be a big deal -- When a team drafts you high or you're a talented player coming to a new organization, it's a big deal (unless you're a small role player) so there should be a news conference where you walk up to the podium (after your coach/owner talks about you some) and have a nice generalized statement about how nice it is to be here, blah blah blah (all players have that) and then you have questions from the reporters that you have to answer (building on your background and fleshing it out through the questions from the reporters as an example for the incoming highly touted draftee)

In general, just give the mode more LIFE. Make it about more than just statwhoring your way to breaking every record imaginable at your position.
    My thoughts Exactly. I was going off Mlb/NBA 2k versions of my player. but yea it would be something like that. The mode is extremly bland. and needs plenty of work. i like all your idea's. i would like to incorporate more drills tho. like ESPN sports science drills seem pretty cool. those need to become a reality.

it plays like a silent movie the last 2 years.

It basically needs - everything

I hate these modes and will probably NEVER use them other than PS3 trophies.

The ONLY mode I have even remotely enjoyed is Road to the Show.

I have never played Superstar mode. Tempted to try one this year...can you go from Road To Glory all the way into Superstar?

i'm pretty sure it was transferable the last 2 years ...? maybe

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I have never played Superstar mode. Tempted to try one this year...can you go from Road To Glory all the way into Superstar?
    Yes, but unless they fix it, going from NCAA to Madden caused really weird things to happen (like your player starting out fairly low rated overall even though he had 99 everything in NCAA because of NCAA's stupid easy to get 99 everything).

It's no fun to play right now, but add in some of the stuff like NBA 2k11 has with it's My Player mode and it suddenly becomes interesting and fun to play. As I said above, give LIFE to the game mode and you'll be greatly rewarded with people actually playing the damn thing.