Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Shape NCAA Football: Cannons

• Facebook
  • Display

Norther Illinois
    "the canon NIU fired after each score was blasting fireworks until the 3rd qtr" http://collegefootballquest.com/GameDetails.aspx?gid=55
    Sorry, that's all I could find on NIU.

Last edited by cdj; 04-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    I've been trying to check out official college athletics sites and Wikipedia listings for football teams and stadiums to find any mention of cannons. Most of the college athletics sites have a "Traditions" page--which, for me, would be the logical place to mention a cannon used on game day--but I haven't been getting many hits on cannons aside from the Texas one I found earlier.
    I agree with G. If you don't find it, assume they don't have one. If "School" + "cannon" returns nothing notable -- assume they don't have one. Basically, assume they don't until we find out that they do.

-- No Cannon.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by OSUCowboyofMD View Post
    Utah State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Cwb...el_video_title

...you can hear it at 1:48
    pause it at 1:59 and i think thats it in the top corner on the field, if not, its most likely on the other side
    You're absolutely correct, that is the cannon. It's a modern military version, and we do fire it off after every score. If it helps, that is the north endzone, where there are no bleachers directly behind it, just a building with training rooms and the such.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I agree with G. If you don't find it, assume they don't have one. If "School" + "cannon" returns nothing notable -- assume they don't have one. Basically, assume they don't until we find out that they do.
    A lot (most?) of the cannons are typically maintained and fired by the on-campus ROTC, so putting 'ROTC' into searches helped find a few as well.

Kentucky

2008 - The University of Kentucky football team just hosted Norfolk State. Kentucky just won the game 35-3 and you can see the smoke still on the ground from the cannon blast after the win.

EDIT - Looking at YouTube videos, UK has fireworks that shoot off after each score that put a fog on the field as shown above. Currently, I lean towards them not having one in spite of the comment posted above.

I cannot find any further info on a cannon for Kentucky, so any extra help on this one would be appreciated.

From ArkHogs:

"A popular pastime during the Patterson administration was firing the cannons of the cadet battery at nigh or setting off fireworks. A December 1894 edition of the Lexington Daily Press reported "Young Nehilists at the State College Explode a Bomb Under the Window of Col. Swigert's Quarters on Saturday Night and Follow This Up With Another Active Bomb On Sunday Night. Matters Pretty Lively." In reality, it was just the "Midnight Artillery" celebrating a football victory." http://www.as.uky.edu/academics/depa...s/History.aspx Only fired after a win..

UPDATE -

Fan message board says no cannon.
    Last edited by cdj; 04-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Army

[PICTURE]
    Sports Illustrated named Michie Stadium #3 in the world in its list of the top 20 sports venues of the century. "It's a scene straight from The Long Gray Line, surpassed only by the view of the Hudson River from the west stands at Michie Stadium. The Corps of Cadets, seated together and dressed in gray and black, evokes memories of when Army was one of the most formidable of college football powers, and cannon blasts shake the 76-year-old edifice to its foundation every time the Black Knights score."

From WickstarRunner:
    Army:

Cannons are Modern Military, you can see one of the cannons in this vid.

I distinctly remember a shot for every point scored, but I also remember that there were big guns (Howitzers) outside the stadium (across the lake) and seeing lots of white smoke from that direction. But it's been a while since I've been out there so maybe things have changed?
    Last edited by cdj; 04-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Penn State University has no cannons.

Oklahoma State

From Pokes404 on Operation Sports:

Oklahoma State uses the new military cannon; however, it's located on the roof. The field is simply too crowded.

In the picture provided, if you go straight up from between the "a" and "t" in "okstate.com", you can see something on the edge of the roof. That's the cannon. It's fired after every score, and at the end of each quarter. No fireworks.

From pokes404:
    I've uploaded some more definitive proof.

Picture (you can see the cannon on the top left)
    http://s1036.photobucket.com/albums/...n.jpg&newest=1

Video (cannon can be heard and flash can be seen at the top of the screen around the :10 - :11 second mark).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfiKRD0eWtU
    Last edited by cdj; 04-07-2011 at 08:16 PM.

I wonder if there's any chance we'll get the Sooner Schooner to do a lap after touchdowns this year? Probably not

"A popular pastime during the Patterson administration was firing the cannons of the cadet battery at nigh or setting off fireworks. A December 1894 edition of the Lexington Daily Press reported "Young Nehilists at the State College Explode a Bomb Under the Window of Col. Swigert's Quarters on Saturday Night and Follow This Up With Another Active Bomb On Sunday Night. Matters Pretty Lively." In reality, it was just the "Midnight Artillery" celebrating a football victory." http://www.as.uky.edu/academics/depa...s/History.aspx Only fired after a win..

Definitely make sure they add the "WHOOP" to the end of the cannons being fired....Texas A&M tradition!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MCdonnieG; 04-07-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Western Michigan

Last edited by gwing; 04-07-2011 at 11:01 AM.

UL Lafayette no longer uses a cannon (buddy of mine is the source).

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post

Washington State

Brought back in 2010, unsure if tradition will continue. - LINK
    Pretty sure it will continue. Here is a picture of the location marked with red dot. The building which it is on is not in ncaa 11. Fired after every Cougar score, and at the end of the ball game in a win.

Martin stadium cougar cannon.jpgMartin stadium cougar cannon2.jpg

(source is a buddy of mine)

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post

(source is a buddy of mine)
    You mean the man himself?

Quote Originally Posted by texacotea View Post
    You mean the man himself?
    Indeed. Apparently he's retired the sticks though so not likely we'll see him make a return anytime soon.

Troy

At :07 you can see a modern cannon behind the endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkHogs View Post
    Jinx!