Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Help Shape NCAA Football: Cannons

• Facebook
  • Display
    The information for Indiana University not having a cannon is incorrect. There is a long barrel modern military style cannon just outside the stadium by the main entrances. There are two actually, and I believe they were taken off an aircraft carrier. They fire after every touchdown although I am not sure if it is just one or both.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by wardhoosier View Post
    The information for Indiana University not having a cannon is incorrect. There is a long barrel modern military style cannon just outside the stadium by the main entrances. There are two actually, and I believe they were taken off an aircraft carrier. They fire after every touchdown although I am not sure if it is just one or both.
    If that's the case, we need to know for sure if it's both or just one, but thanks for the info!

Thanks, wardhoosier! We have updated the listing with your info.

Regarding Stanford, there actually is a cannon, but it's very hard to describe.

The Stanford Axe committee, which other than taking care of matters with the Axe, operates the train whistle, flags, and other things on the sideline, describes the cannon as:
    a large boom cannon
    Source: http://www.stanford.edu/group/axecomm/

In this video, it is the white thing in the bottom part of the screen. Basically, they shoot it off, take off the white covering, and by my guess "reload" it.

If more information is needed, I'll be willing to look deeper.

Note: Cannon is shot right after the train whistle, and shot after touchdowns and the team entrance (see video), but I'm not sure about extra point (edit: pretty sure it is used on extra points, as I believe the use of the cannon on the first video actually is an extra point.), I'll check it out.

Last edited by ebarws6; 04-11-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks for the info! Stanford has been updated on the list.

The BYU cannon is fired after every score and it is in the NE corner of the Stadium right by the field. We use a decommisioned 75mm Howitzer with either training blanks or 10Guage shotgun blanks with a 75mm adapter shell.

Quote Originally Posted by shoichikun808 View Post
    A previous poster said that Hawaii uses fireworks when they score which is false.

There is a cannon on the field right next to the UH band in the stands. After the game fireworks are fired depending on the outcome usually.
    apparently i was wrong. good catch shoichikun. i took the liberty of sending an email to one hawaii blogsite, and got back a responce on the cannon.

its slightly bigger than the standard black model, found on this site: http://www.carriagehouseny.com/nauti...inchester.html

its fired after every touchdown and before the extra point, and after field goals. it's located in front of the band section, not off to the right, in the north endzone. despite its size, he said it was incredibly loud.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post

Can't find any video...
    I really can't believe the lack of video/pictures showing where our cannon is. It's located at the west end of the North endzone, elevated away from the field.

The only video showing the relative location of the cannon that I could find was in a highlight package from the UCONN/Ohio ball game from 2009.

The only time you can see a closeup of the cannon is at ~2:38. The tents located next to the cannon are only in the North endzone.

Although the wiki says that it shoots out an "o", that rarely happens, especially if it is windy or humid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    I really can't believe the lack of video/pictures showing where our cannon is.
    Eh ... it is Athens/Ohio U. Good find though. Wish there was more stuff, but one is better than none.

EDIT: I did find this from Facebook of all places:
    * The Cannon at Peden Stadium

The loudest Ohio tradition is just in its tenth season. An 1800s-style military cannon was designed and built to help celebrate Bobcat touchdowns and extra points. Residing in the north end zone, the cannon is also used at other times during the game, including heralding the team's initial entry onto the field, and is typically operated by a campus military regiment.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 04-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Thanks for that Jughead. I spent like 2 hours scouring videos trying to find something for them and I just gave up after that.

Definitely a good find though by both you and Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by ebarws6 View Post
    Regarding Stanford, there actually is a cannon, but it's very hard to describe.

The Stanford Axe committee, which other than taking care of matters with the Axe, operates the train whistle, flags, and other things on the sideline, describes the cannon as:
    Source: http://www.stanford.edu/group/axecomm/

In this video, it is the white thing in the bottom part of the screen. Basically, they shoot it off, take off the white covering, and by my guess "reload" it.

If more information is needed, I'll be willing to look deeper.

Note: Cannon is shot right after the train whistle, and shot after touchdowns and the team entrance (see video), but I'm not sure about extra point (edit: pretty sure it is used on extra points, as I believe the use of the cannon on the first video actually is an extra point.), I'll check it out.

is that a football game or an Arbor day celebration ? Stanford trees dancing all over

Recruit

Tennessee uses the Vol Navy after each score

Tennessee fires fireworks from outside the stadium from the "Vol Navy" on the TN river after each score.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    is that a football game or an Arbor day celebration ? Stanford trees dancing all over
    First video was the homecoming game so we had a huge alumni band and all the alumni trees came back. There were about 6 or 7 dancing in the endzone if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ebarws6 View Post
    First video was the homecoming game so we had a huge alumni band and all the alumni trees came back. There were about 6 or 7 dancing in the endzone if I remember correctly.
    line of the week= " all the alumni trees came back" haha

I'd now say our list is final. Did one last sweep of posts on various fan sites and only Kentucky fans came back with clarification.