Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Shape NCAA Football: Cannons

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Jinx!

Bowling Green
    "The Pershing Rifles is the only organization that has the prestigious honor to fire the cannon at all the home football games at Bowling Green State University." http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/mils.../ClubsPage.htm I'll try to find pics.
    Last edited by ArkHogs; 04-07-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Better source.

Army

Army:

Cannons are Modern Military, you can see one of the cannons in this vid.

I distinctly remember a shot for every point scored, but I also remember that there were big guns (Howitzers) outside the stadium (across the lake) and seeing lots of white smoke from that direction. But it's been a while since I've been out there so maybe things have changed?

First off, thanks and welcome to all of our new members who have joined the site to help out with this project! We hope you'll stick around, so feel free to introduce yourself in our Welcome & Introduction thread. I promise we're nice guys and won't bite.

I made a few changes after finding some additional info:

- Starting last season, Rutgers has their cannon on the field.

- A member here says no, but an OS member says that Oklahoma State does have a cannon. May need to verify that one.

- A member here says Clemson only fires cannon during the team entrance, but an OS member says they fire it after every score. Another one to verify.

Greetings and Salutations fellers!

The guys at MaddenMatrix are assisting with this effort, along with a number of other communities.

There may be a little duplication (as expected), but I'm sending my folks over here to REVIEW the list Chris is maintaining instead of creating a separate list (much more efficient that way).

http://www.maddenmatrix.com/forums/s...ted=1#post7586

MadScientist08
    MaddenMatrix.com
    EA SPORTS Game Changer

Awesome, thanks for the link/heads-up on that, MadSci. I have been keeping tabs on all sites that I know have a thread for this and double-checking/compiling that info as well. I think we're getting to the point where we have the majority of schools that have cannons. Though, I worry a few may slip through the cracks. As you posted at MM, it is great to see the community work together on something like this.

North Carolina does not have any type of cannon...however they do shoot fireworks....

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    A member here says Clemson only fires cannon during the team entrance, but an OS member says they fire it after every score. Another one to verify.
    Looks like it's definitely used more than just in the team entrance:

That's during the kickoff. Can't seem to find it anywhere else though, but haven't looked extensively.

Community Project

My pleasure Chris.

Yeah, I take this as a challenge now. We have to do well on this if only just to improve the game! For a couple of these, we may have to call some athletic departments.

Awesome, thanks for the link/heads-up on that, MadSci. I have been keeping tabs on all sites that I know have a thread for this and double-checking/compiling that info as well. I think we're getting to the point where we have the majority of schools that have cannons. Though, I worry a few may slip through the cracks. As you posted at MM, it is great to see the community work together on something like this.

Freshman
    This is what my brother told me about Akron...

They actually stopped using the cannon since they moved to the Info. The National Guard used to do it, but they haven’t found an area that would be safe to use it. Now when they score the Cheerleaders run the flags through the endzone and they play an AC/DC song (which I doubt EA would be able to use for the game but I digress)

The biggest thing is that they have fireworks every game when the team is introduced (that would be nice to see) and Zippy leads the team out onto the field. Also after the alma mater and national anthem, they play an intro video showing various spots in Akron and highlights of the team while playing a newer version of “In the air tonight” (again music that EA probably won’t add in)

After first downs the announcer does the “…for another ZIPS FIRSTDOWN!!!”, they also some distinctive animations on the scoreboard and jumbotron

There is the info he told me, hope this helps with anything. The fireworks is awesome on their entrance.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Can't find a video of them actually shooting it, but you can hear it in this video twice when they show Clemson scoring (first one is at ~1:07):

I'd say the other person that said they shoot it off each time they score is correct though I can't find any video showing it shooting, you can definitely hear it being shot when they score and see it being shot during the kickoff in the other video so I'd say it's definitely used for more than just the team entrance.

BGSU
    "But after each play, the Bowling Green cannon went off in celebration, pouring smoke over the field." http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...y-1000489.html Can't find a pic/video though

Florida State uses fireworks, no cannon.

Kansas State fires a big t-shirt cannon between quarters. Not sure if this counts.

Wisconsin - No
    Link

Georgia=No (cousin is a student).

Oklahoma State

From Pokes404 on Operation Sports:

Oklahoma State uses the new military cannon; however, it's located on the roof. The field is simply too crowded.

In the picture provided, if you go straight up from between the "a" and "t" in "okstate.com", you can see something on the edge of the roof. That's the cannon. It's fired after every score, and at the end of each quarter. No fireworks.

I've never heard it at a game. All the noise i usually hear is Pistol Pete firing.

- A member here says Clemson only fires cannon during the team entrance, but an OS member says they fire it after every score. Another one to verify.
    Proof they fire after a TD also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NmOPq54zfY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO9Z9...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Indeed. Apparently he's retired the sticks though so not likely we'll see him make a return anytime soon.
    sad, I used to keep him on PSN just hoping one day he would make a return. PM me his email id like to catch up a little with him