Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passing progressions ?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Nice Wolverine... I will try this out! And thanks Morsdraconis... I appreciate it!

Thanks for the information, sorry for the delay in posting, have been out of the NCAA loop, then new baby came 2 weeks ago so I've been busy with him. Picked up NCAA 12 so now I'm ready to buckle my chin strap and get back into College Football.

SMU has the Pistol this year so I'm excited to learn some more effective running plays.

Towards the end of my NCAA 11 time I was getting better at passing the ball, good enough in fact that some of my ODs where complaining about my scores vs the cpu. I've never been in this boat so it was strange. All I was doing was quick reads and high percentage passes. The problem is I was able to move the ball quickly and didn't eat much clock with few incompletions. I was told by other members that my passing stats were too high (maybe they didn't like what Colt did at Hawaii a few years back, who knows)....the main problem I had was I didn't have a solid running game to chew clock at the end when I was up. Hopefully the addition of the Pistol will help in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    the main problem I had was I didn't have a solid running game to chew clock at the end when I was up. Hopefully the addition of the Pistol will help in that area.
    Just want to say something about this philosophy... but before I do you must understand that the two coaches who have had the greatest influence on me are June Jones and Mike Leach. I am particularly drawn to Leach because he thinks "outside the box." Now... as to what you stated above, please understand that you don't have to run the ball to "chew clock." You can chew clock w/ a short passing game.

Yesterday I was playing a bunch of different games just to check out various teams, and I was only playing one quarter. One game was {CPU} against {Me}. I took the opening kickoff and intentionally ran the guy out of bounds at the 4 yard line. I then went on a 19 play, 96 yard drive that took 8:55 off the clock. {I play 10 minute quarters}

So... just know you can chew clock passing the ball. Know your receivers routes... all 5 of them... and read the defense... I was in 5-Wide the entire 19 play drive and all 19 plays were passing plays. The QB was 17 of 19... and this was on Heisman level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    Just want to say something about this philosophy... but before I do you must understand that the two coaches who have had the greatest influence on me are June Jones and Mike Leach. I am particularly drawn to Leach because he thinks "outside the box." Now... as to what you stated above, please understand that you don't have to run the ball to "chew clock." You can chew clock w/ a short passing game.

Yesterday I was playing a bunch of different games just to check out various teams, and I was only playing one quarter. One game was {CPU} against {Me}. I took the opening kickoff and intentionally ran the guy out of bounds at the 4 yard line. I then went on a 19 play, 96 yard drive that took 8:55 off the clock. {I play 10 minute quarters}

So... just know you can chew clock passing the ball. Know your receivers routes... all 5 of them... and read the defense... I was in 5-Wide the entire 19 play drive and all 19 plays were passing plays. The QB was 17 of 19... and this was on Heisman level.
    I agree, I enjoy the RUN N Shoot and Air Raid teams in real life too, even though I'm an AGGIE I really like Mike Leach, I think it was a big mistake what texas tech did, but in the end it came down to money, they didn't want to pay his bonus...

I agree with the short passing game...I guess what I need to do is play in my offline dynasties. The problem came when I played in Online Dynasties last year, no here at TGT, they didn't have a problem with my play style. It was in other ODs, they would complain that my passing stats were "too high" my completion percentage was too high and I had WAY too many passes attempts compared to rushing attempts.

So I was trying to please the masses and wanted a rushing game to even the stats out in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

I agree 100% about the shorting passing game, it works great with the RNS PB.

Now that I have kid #2 here and my gaming time will be less, I'm only going to join ODs that enjoy playing the game. Not knit-picking things. I figure it should be more like real life, Houston for example, in real life they run the Air Raid, they have very few rushing attempts, but since they pass the ball SO much the rushing game works, when they do run. However at the end of the game when they score a bunch of points and 3 QBs have had PT you never hear people in real life complaining about how few rushing attempts they had vs their passing stats. I think the fix for me is, to find some good honest ODs and enjoy the game.

I think the fix for me is, to find some good honest ODs and enjoy the game.
    Yeah, don't get caught up in people and their bitching. Football is a funny game... there are purists that believe you have to establish the run and you should always do certain things, certain ways. Jones and Leach thumb their nose at that old philosophy and the game is much better for guys like them.

As long as you're playing straight and not cheesing, who gives a flying #### if you have 60 pass attempts and 5 rushing attempts? Would those guys bitch if you were playing like Barry Switzer's Sooners and had 60 rushing attempts and only 5 pass attempts?

Do what you want and have fun. Screw those who don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    Yeah, don't get caught up in people and their bitching. Football is a funny game... there are purists that believe you have to establish the run and you should always do certain things, certain ways. Jones and Leach thumb their nose at that old philosophy and the game is much better for guys like them.

As long as you're playing straight and not cheesing, who gives a flying #### if you have 60 pass attempts and 5 rushing attempts? Would those guys bitch if you were playing like Barry Switzer's Sooners and had 60 rushing attempts and only 5 pass attempts?

Do what you want and have fun. Screw those who don't get it!

Good man! :-)

Dr. Death, excellent points!!! Good write up on page one explaining some basic RnS reads, etc. Good stuff, much appreciated.

Yeah the passing game is more difficult for me this year. I'm forcing a lot of throws, and therefore throwing too many picks. If any of you passing gurus would be willing to be lab with me i'd greatly appreciate it.

Well I did some reading up on the 60 GO. I took it to the practice field and was tearing it up.

Going to have to see how it works against the big teams and not just my practice squad.

One thing June Jones talks about is a "flat defender" what is he referring to? Is that the defender that is just playing loosely? I'm not sure how to pick out which is the flat defender?

One thing June Jones talks about is a "flat defender" what is he referring to? Is that the defender that is just playing loosely? I'm not sure how to pick out which is the flat defender?
    The flat defender is whoever drops into the flat. So in cover 2 the flat defender would be the cornerback and in cover 3 it would be the outside linebacker.
    I'm sure others know more about this than me, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I wish I could figure out how to edit sounds, the part at 44-47 seconds makes me laugh my butt off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5aMJ...layer_embedded

I wish I could figure out how to edit sounds, the part at 44-47 seconds makes me laugh my butt off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5aMJ...layer_embedded
    listentoyoutube.com

that site allows you to get the audio from youtube vids in an mp3 format.

i also use audacity. its a free sound editing software thats very simple to use and very easy to navigate around. its perfect for capturing certain parts of a song or something for use in custom stadium sounds.