Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Madden NFL 12 - Cover Predictions

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    With no union history to use as a guideline, will they be able to use the likenesses of rookies? If so, how? What is the work-around?
    From what I gathered in the "Twitterverse," all players drafted this year will be placed on the teams that they were picked by for Madden NFL 12, regardless of whether or not a season is played. I don't know exactly how the logistics work out for that, but that's my understanding of what will occur if a new CBA isn't in place by the time game code goes final. Don't take my word as the absolute truth here, but I read it on more than one occasion on Twitter from people involved.

Here is a story from Kotaku writer Owen Good summarizing the Madden NFL 12 situation and linking to appropriate messages to clarify that the game will see full release--CBA or not--in August with all teams, players, and rookies:

http://kotaku.com/#!5781272/imminent...en-12s-release

Broken image. Those Amazon images don't work for some reason.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    Here is a story from Kotaku writer Owen Good summarizing the Madden NFL 12 situation and linking to appropriate messages to clarify that the game will see full release--CBA or not--in August with all teams, players, and rookies
    The problem ... is this:
    While the NFLPA has decertified, evidently its agreement with EA Sports still provides for the use of the group license that allows EA Sports to use real players on the teams. Team and league symbols are licensed separately and also not threatened by the labor unrest.
    I realize that EA has no reason to lie, and no reason to say that they'll release with full rosters if it's uncertain. But no one, from EA or otherwise, has out and out said "We can still use the players because ________". Until they do, I'm still uneasy about the whole thing. No Players Association means no deal with the Players Association. It's possible they have conditions in their contract that cover it, but until they say it as such, I'm going to be at least leaning up against the fence, if not sitting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    With no union history to use as a guideline, will they be able to use the likenesses of rookies? If so, how? What is the work-around?
    They would have to get the permission individually from each of the players most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    They would have to get the permission individually from each of the players most likely.
    The rookies will be in the game. Once they are drafted, they are part of the union. However, the union cannot engage in collective bargaining on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    The rookies will be in the game. Once they are drafted, they are part of the union. However, the union cannot engage in collective bargaining on their behalf.
    Right but the Union as you put it has decertified and therefore no longer exists and cannot speak on behalf of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I realize that EA has no reason to lie, and no reason to say that they'll release with full rosters if it's uncertain. But no one, from EA or otherwise, has out and out said "We can still use the players because ________". Until they do, I'm still uneasy about the whole thing.
    Finally got the NFLPA answer, courtesy IGN:
    Those who love playing football on their console as much (or maybe even more) than watching the real deal on TV can rejoice. Despite the current labor strife, which has seen the NFL Player's Association decertified and the owners lockout the players, Madden NFL 12 will hit stores in August.

For those curious how this is possible, the licensing arm of the NFLPA still exists. Though it's no longer a labor union, the NFLPA isn't dissolved. So the contract EA signed with the NFLPA continues unhindered, as does the agreement with all 32 NFL teams.

Thanks Jeff. That explains how rookies could be in as well.