Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Shape NCAA Football: Band Locations

• Facebook
  • Display
    Maybe EA can code it so schools prestige of three stars and less don't send their band to the Hawaii Bowl? Yeah, I think searching any further on this one is an exercise in futility. At least we have one pic to kinda, sorta back up the listing.

Great job fellas! Thanks to everyone who made this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Maybe EA can code it so schools prestige of three stars and less don't send their band to the Hawaii Bowl?
    Not going to lie; that would actually be a pretty cool thing for them to feature further on down the road after they're able to incorporate the basics. Have 3/4-empty stadiums during the really lame bowl games and whatnot haha. Some of the pictures from the lesser-known bowl games were really sad as I was looking through them, as it seemed like only the players' family members were there to watch.

Just a heads-up; a user at the TraditionFootball.com forum post by the name of "NDCOLTS1979" has been posting some band sections claiming to have gotten information from the band directors/athletic directors at each individual school. There are a couple of discrepencies from our own work here, which is why I'm bringing it up here. Don't know if we want to take the time to re-check these instances, but I'll list them here. No photographic proof was given with these posts to confirm the information, only seating charts.

Wake Forest: We have Section 17, they have Section 20. Both are on the same side of the field.

Virginia Tech: We have Sections DD-GG, they claim that Virginia Tech has two separate bands; one that sits in Sections CC-GG named the "Marching Virginians" and one that sits in Section 101 named the "Hightie-tighties."

Virginia: We have Section 105, they have Section 104; right next to one another, both in the student section.

New Mexico: We have Section EE, they have Section DD; right next to one another, EE is premium seating while DD is part of the student section. This may be valid, though our original information came from a New Mexico student.

EDITED TO PROVIDE FACT-CHECKING
    In our posting for Wake Forest, we have a clear picture of the band on the field and part of Section 17 open in the student section. Maybe the band has moved to 20?

WAKE FOREST IS IN SECTION 20. Here's photograph proof:

In our posting for Virginia Tech, I didn't know that there were two bands to be looking for; with that information in mind, this picture from my original post seems to show a second Virginia Tech band in Section 101:

This new picture is useful too:

It would also seem to confirm that the visiting band is in Section 104 on the other side of the seating behind that endzone.

Confirmation of visiting band in Section 104:

In our posting for Virginia, Section 105 had been specified by an OperationSports.com user; Section 104 is just as likely, but the photographs that we had to work with had an odd perspective.

With this photograph, I still feel as though Section 105 is closer; if you look at our original seating chart, Section 104 starts at the 10-yard-line. In this picture, the empty section starts at about the 20-yard-line:

In betting terms, this would be called a "push"; the sections are right next to each other anyway. Thoughts?

As far as New Mexico is concerned, CDJ saw one thing in a photo and that was "refuted" by an OperationSports.com forum member who is a known New Mexico fan; I'm almost willing to go with the new suggestion of Section DD for the band, however, because that is in the student section. Unfortunately, we seem to have not found any really convincing images at this point in time, and my current search for an image has also been a failure overall.
    Last edited by Paakaa10; 01-24-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Updating a whole bunch of things.

VT updated. Away Band in 104 or 104-105?

UVa: We have two pics (one newer than the other, check out the field art) that have them both in 105. They have changed the field art since then, so I suppose it is possible they've moved over one section in the last two years, but how likely?

NM: I think DD may be right. I found a pic last night that at the time I ignored, but appeared to place the band 'right' of midfield. I'll try and post it here in a bit.

EDIT - Wake updated. That explains what seemed to be an out of date seating chart. Problem was that they revamped section numbers and moved band; we had an older pic for that reference.
    Last edited by cdj; 01-24-2011 at 11:10 PM.

As shown clearly through the four bands that had new information come up in other locations, we should be fairly vigilant about making sure that we're fact-checking our information as much as possible. We may want to consider broadcasting this thread once again--saying that we have all of the band sections down but are looking for confirmations from people who go to the schools or are familiar with the band section setups--so that we can start funneling information here once again and correct anything we might have gotten wrong the first time around.

I don't think we have any intentionally incorrect information; but simple things, like Wake Forest having an expansion done to their stadium which added new seats for use by the band, are going to come up and hopefully we can continue to keep this database as up-to-date as possible so that it is still relevant whenever it can be used by the NCAA team. I have a feeling that this project will be ongoing for some time now, even though we've established at least a start to all of the band sections at this time.

VT updated. Away Band in 104 or 104-105?
    I saw that you put 104-105, and I agree with that; I've even seen some photos that seem to span across three sections, but I'm sure it depends on how large the band is.

UVa: We have two pics (one newer than the other, check out the field art) that have them both in 105. They have changed the field art since then, so I suppose it is possible they've moved over one section in the last two years, but how likely?
    Indeed; I just feel like at some point we have to stop and say, "We have pictures that show this, so we're saying this" and if we're off by one section, then we bite the bullet. Somebody who's going to flip out over a band being off by a single section is never going to be satisfied anyway.

EDIT: If you want to, even just putting Section 104 OR 105 would at least narrow it down and then the dev team could make that call for themselves whenever the time comes for them to incorporate this information into the game.

NM: I think DD may be right. I found a pic last night that at the time I ignored, but appeared to place the band 'right' of midfield. I'll try and post it here in a bit.
    DD makes more sense because it's student seating; hopefully you can find that picture again just for "peace of mind" purposes.
    Last edited by Paakaa10; 01-24-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    I saw that you put 104-105, and I agree with that; I've even seen some photos that seem to span across three sections, but I'm sure it depends on how large the band is.

Indeed; I just feel like at some point we have to stop and say, "We have pictures that show this, so we're saying this" and if we're off by one section, then we bite the bullet. Somebody who's going to flip out over a band being off by a single section is never going to be satisfied anyway.

DD makes more sense because it's student seating; hopefully you can find that picture again just for "peace of mind" purposes.
    I agree. I think we have to go with what pics say. It makes more sense to risk being wrong on a picture.

The pic is on their official site from their lone win last year of the GW kick. Given then length of the kick and what I think is the band in the background, they are clearly right of center. I will list them as DD and then hunt down the pic again.

Virginia
    This interactive Virginia Seating Chart, an official link from the Virginia website, says Section 104, Rows A-Y.
    http://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/universi...B_OEM_ID=17800

Link was found here: http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewAr...ATCLID=1104209
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

New Mexico

This photo almost suggests CC with the ball on the 28 yard line. What is the yellow/gold band in front of the student section in CC on this seating chart supposed to represent? Band, perhaps? Still goes against what user stated with DD then. It appears they split DD & CC, as you can see an aisle in the pic.

Personally, I think we go with DD now. (Until the next photo rolls in. )

Last edited by cdj; 01-24-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Virginia
    This interactive Virginia Seating Chart, an official link from the Virginia website, says Section 104, Rows A-Y.
    http://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/universi...B_OEM_ID=17800

Link was found here: http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewAr...ATCLID=1104209
    Nice find. I'll add this in.

We may want to consider broadcasting this thread once again--saying that we have all of the band sections down but are looking for confirmations from people who go to the schools or are familiar with the band section setups--so that we can start funneling information here once again and correct anything we might have gotten wrong the first time around.
    There's not much more we can do to broadcast this thread

I've PM'd a couple guys on the board that follow some of the teams that have been more difficult, and I think that's about all you can do. And at the end of the day, I think the team will be appreciative of whatever information we can give them. If we're not sure, put that and they can follow up with their contacts or by calling the ticket office. I know Chris said on an earlier page that he's heard of problems getting communications from schools in the past ... when I was an Ohio State student, I ended up talking to people that were charge of arenas around the Big Ten and other conferences, just by making a few phone calls for an article I was writing. Not even for a paper, just as a student in class. It can't be that difficult to get confirmation of a few teams here and there. No matter what, it's considerably easier than getting 120.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Virginia
    Rats... foiled again! Haha. Good find with that, glad to get it sorted out 100%.

There's not much more we can do to broadcast this thread

I've PM'd a couple guys on the board that follow some of the teams that have been more difficult, and I think that's about all you can do. And at the end of the day, I think the team will be appreciative of whatever information we can give them. If we're not sure, put that and they can follow up with their contacts or by calling the ticket office. I know Chris said on an earlier page that he's heard of problems getting communications from schools in the past ... when I was an Ohio State student, I ended up talking to people that were charge of arenas around the Big Ten and other conferences, just by making a few phone calls for an article I was writing. Not even for a paper, just as a student in class. It can't be that difficult to get confirmation of a few teams here and there. No matter what, it's considerably easier than getting 120.
    True enough. I know that we've been fortunate enough to get the publicity we have on this so far, but part of me just wants word to get back out there that we have a full list here at The Gaming Tailgate and we're looking for people to fact-check our information and let us know if we've got something wrong. There has been some good information from other forum threads that have listed this call for band sections, but there's also a lot of people just re-posting really popular colleges which we had taken care of within the first few hours of researching last Friday. Doesn't do them any good to spend their time that way and it certainly doesn't do any good for the project overall unless they're correcting something we've put together already.

Updates on Toledo & New Mexico State Band Sections

Only a couple updates today in terms of what I've gleaned from other places where this call for information has been posted.

Toledo -- Band sits in Section 14, not Sections S & T as previously listed.

The 2010 seating chart is on the second page of the .PDF file located here: http://www.utrockets.com//pdf8/706688.pdf
    This is essentially the same location in the stadium as previously specified by my original posting, only now we have the correct section number from the most recent seating chart.

This information came courtesy of user "GoToledo" at OperationSports.com.

New Mexico State -- OperationSports.com user "WIAggie" claims that the band sits in Section T, not Section U as reported by JBHuskers here.

This is another one of those situations which is a "push" as far as I'm concerned. The picture that JB included in his initial posting here seems to clearly line up with Section U. Sections T & U are located directly next to one another, making it something that only the most attentive person could get upset about.

This seating chart from the New Mexico State athletics website shows how close the two sections are:

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any photographs aside from the one which JB originally posted:

I still agree with JB over the OS user based on what I can see; but, as we've seen since starting this search, sometimes sections change and the pictures we find aren't recent enough to mirror what is actually true.

NMSU

Watching this video (skip towards the end), I think it rules out Section T and certainly looks like Section U.

NMSU
    Watching this video (skip towards the end), I think it rules out Section T and certainly looks like Section U.
    I skipped to the end of it but didn't notice anything specific to define which section the band sits in; maybe I just missed it? Regardless, I have no information which would lead me to discount JB's initial report of Section U, so I'm willing to stick by that.

I skipped to the end of it but didn't notice anything specific to define which section the band sits in; maybe I just missed it? Regardless, I have no information which would lead me to discount JB's initial report of Section U, so I'm willing to stick by that.
    Section T is on the 50-yard line and both sections even with the 50 are filled with people in this video. I think it rules out T, though it doesn't 100% mean U is right either. Though, the Section that appears to be U in the video looks empty (joining several others though).

Section T is on the 50-yard line and both sections even with the 50 are filled with people in this video. I think it rules out T, though it doesn't 100% mean U is right either. Though, the Section that appears to be U in the video looks empty (joining several others though).
    Ah, okay; I noticed the 50-yard-line sections having people in them--thus, as you say, speaking to those sections NOT being band sections--but I guess I went into the video looking for confirmation of Section U haha. Such is the difficulty of working with video and pictures of schools whose football teams apparently don't have a mass following; which empty sections are empty because the band should be there, and which sections are empty just because the stadium is never full?

EDIT
    Side note: I wonder if the team will ever be able to accurately reflect the traditional attendance of the smaller schools--that is, not having them be a full house in the game--or whether that would jeopardize the working relationship with those schools and the NCAA license to have their program reflected "poorly"--even though it would be realistic--through low attendance figures.
    Last edited by Paakaa10; 01-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Hawai'i is confusing the hell out of me right now; from the pictures included in the original Hawai'i team post, it is abundantly clear that they are on the north side of the stadium in Section RR. From the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl pictures, however, the band is sitting in Section R; also on the north side of the stadium. The Hawai'i Bowl picture is from 2006 as far as I'm aware, while I don't know the years of the Hawai'i pictures.

The Hawai'i Bowl pictures from another user showed Hawai'i's band in Section R. When I went back to try and find the other band location in the Hawai'i Bowl, a 2008 picture showed Hawai'i's band in Section R. Based on the orientation of the field logo across pictures, the one picture I had of another band seemed to place them in Section RR. But only that one picture appears to show a band there, and in others there is no band but there are fans in the seats.

Wish we had a resident Aloha Stadium expert here.

EDIT

But if we absolutely, positively had to make a final gun-to-my-head call, I would say that Hawai'i sits in Section RR when they play home games and that the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl places the designated away team in Section R and the designated home team in Section RR. Maybe only some schools actually justify the expense of sending a team band out for the bowl game.
    following up on this, i got a responce from Tombo Ahi, who runs the Hawaii football fan blog. he said that the student section sits in the orange section of PP and QQ.
    the UH band sits in the upper half of the orange section RR
    if the away team band comes to hawaii games, they usually sit in orange section R or S.

for bowl games at aloha stadium, hawaii is usually the visiting team and so they sit in the away team band section, orange section R.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    following up on this, i got a responce from Tombo Ahi, who runs the Hawaii football fan blog. he said that the student section sits in the orange section of PP and QQ.
    the UH band sits in the upper half of the orange section RR
    if the away team band comes to hawaii games, they usually sit in orange section R or S.

for bowl games at aloha stadium, hawaii is usually the visiting team and so they sit in the away team band section, orange section R.
    Excellent! Thanks for going out of your way to get this information; it definitely helps us put together a more reliable answer for the data table, and we can feel pretty good about the photographs we've included as resources on it.