Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's left to be announced?!

• Facebook
  • Display

What's left to be announced?!

I've been wondering; after all of the "there's more" comments... what more is left to be announced? What kinds of things do you guys think might still be under wraps that we'll be shocked by?

To kick it off, I'll give my two cents that it has something to do with audio. I know they've already hit on presentation, but one of the MAJOR gripes last year was the lackluster audio. Between bland, repetitive, often lifeless commentary, and a crowd that sounds like they're watching grass grow, this part of the game is due for an overhaul for the other presentation elements to mean anything.

I find this "audio" possibility particularly intriguing coming off of this week's announcement of Gus Johnson being in Madden 11.

So please, reply with your thoughts on this or other potential forthcoming "features" or announcements!

That is very possible. If you remember one of the twitter's from one of the CD attendees (not from our site), was: "Get ready to blow your subs out in ncaa 11", or something like that. Audio is definitely on my agenda of things to watch for. I honestly believe that this 3rd blog is going to hit on something that we aren't even expecting. There's some recruiting direction that he gave from the end of the 2nd blog, but he wouldn't intentionally give away the biggest part of the blog, so there's something we aren't thinking about at work here. I won't dare to venture on what it will be though.

Other blogs we do know about include the inevitable Uniform blog, apparently and awesomely including the pro combats based on TCU screenshot. We know about a stadium upgrade blog. Also we know about TB 2.0 and SS 2.0. And still we should get another presentation blog on the rest of ESPN integration, seeing as they left blog 1 on that open to further enhancements (this could be part of the audio you have referred to above). Those are the for sure ones we know about. We're only like 3 weeks from E3, so it's gonna come in waves here. And I am JACKED!

Side note: Someone on OS (right after they came out) mentioned the possibility of new facemasks being added, based on waves of community feedback about some more popular masks not making it in. This was based off of an ncaa 11 artist dev's comments about the feedback being somewhat overwhelming in favor of more. No confirmation at all but I would love to see that too.

Things I'm hoping to hear about yet:

*new ratings for players (QB accuracy short, medium, long, etc)
    *camera angle options
    *new sliders this year (fumbles, injuries, fatigue, arm strength, man vs. zone coverage, etc.)
    *accelerated clock
    *coach carousel (retire, hire/fire cpu coaches, maybe OC/DC)
    *online roster editor
    *recruiting difficulty option?
    *will the cpu play calling change based on personel (ie, if spread QB gets hurt and slow footed backup comes in, do they still run the option?)
    *what changes have they made to the game planning stuff (ex. run commit)
    *did you fix the menu lag that existed in NCAA 10 that didn't exist in NCAA 09?
    *how have they improved the half time and post game shows? Any real commentary for it or just video clips?
    *Will there be a college football weekly wrap up show with looks at games around the country?
    *improved crowd sounds (defense chant last year very embarrassing)
    *what teams are in the demo, how long are the quarters (or is it OT game) and how many options will we get with the demo (difficulty, sliders)
    Last edited by Rudy; 05-22-2010 at 05:59 AM.

People have commented on the passing trajectory being tweaked. I'm curious to see how this will be. I've always found that EA did a good job in horizontally spreading the field but did a poor job of vertically spreading the field. LBs could jump too well and it was hard to drop a pass in over a guy in a zone (without it getting swatted) and in front of a safety.

Also, am I the only one that has wondered why they haven't had a true pass rush rating for defensive players? Rushing the passer isn't just speed and quickness. It's instinct. Awareness is too often used for all facets of the game but there are some players who may be lost in coverage or against the run but can really rush the passer. And there are plenty of physical studs who aren't good at rushing the passer as someone who has a good feel for it (moves and counter moves). I often compare rushing the passer to playing the post in basketball. Certainly a good set of physical attributes make you better but you still have to have a feel for the game. A lot of great basketball players can't play with their back to the basket and a lot of combine studs suck at rushing the QB in the NFL.

Two nit-picky things that would make me happy:

First, when saving Highlights, I'd like for there to be radio buttons or check boxes by the pictures so I can select the ones I want and save them all at once instead of having to save them one by one.

Also, I'd like the Stadium Sounds feature to be like MLB The Show where I can choose any point in a song for the custom sound to begin.

Just a couple things that have annoyed me that I've never mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Two nit-picky things that would make me happy:

First, when saving Highlights, I'd like for there to be radio buttons or check boxes by the pictures so I can select the ones I want and save them all at once instead of having to save them one by one.

Also, I'd like the Stadium Sounds feature to be like MLB The Show where I can choose any point in a song for the custom sound to begin.

Just a couple things that have annoyed me that I've never mentioned.
    I'd kind of like the ability to create highlight reels... whether they be for games, centered around a single player, or the whole year of a given team, it'd be awesome to create entire reels with ESPN wipes throughout

I think we've still got a significant defensive announcement on the way. Like Jayrah, I'm also expecting a major crowd/atmosphere enhancement.

The third Dynasty Blog will be about enhancements to CPU logic in Dynasty, so I'm expecting that to make a big splash. I don't mean that it will blow us away, but it will be absolutely huge for dynasty players.

The one thing I'm still looking for is the E3 announcement. It might be the thing that blew the CD guys away, I'm not sure. But Tiburon is finally poised to make a big splash at EA with both NCAA and Madden. Teambuilder was a major announcement last year ... sure, some parts of the Community weren't impressed, but it was still the right level of announcement for E3. Online Roster editor is possible, but I don't see it coming this year.

Similarly, I don't think Coaching Carousel or enhanced QB ratings are coming this year. They might be, but they're the type of the announcement I would have expected earlier in the year. They're significant announcements for the hardcore fanbase (us), but the casual user doesn't care about them. Would have expected to see them announced around the same time as the ESPN Presentation enhancements.

The key to look at when thinking about future announcements is to consider the marketing department. What's likely to make the biggest splash, and if its not something that will make a big splash, otherwise why wait this long? If you compare the features you're wanting versus what has already been announced, a pattern may (or may not) begin to emerge.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindRedBaron View Post
    I'd kind of like the ability to create highlight reels... whether they be for games, centered around a single player, or the whole year of a given team, it'd be awesome to create entire reels with ESPN wipes throughout
    ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH! This is one of the features that I've been missing for so long. Hardball 5 had this in 1995 on the PC. Not only did it have Highlight Reels, but the computer selected the "best" plays of the game for you automatically. Like the highlight reel that's shown at the end of each NCAA game, but the user had full control over saving them, which was awesome.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 05-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Starting at 2:00, Madden Creative Director Ian Cummings talks about enhancements to the audio in Madden. Hopefully we see something similar in NCAA: http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=415715

I hope they don't announce a big red circle will appear on the field wherever the ball will land. It looks like it's in the game on every pass attempt too (I'm not sure though). I think that's a bad feature in Madden that needs an option to turn it off.

in the nate ahearn and gus johnson interview there's a new kicking bar shown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5vTS...eature=related 1:40 mark. Wonder if they'll change up the ncaa kicking bar and or system.

Nope. Madden redid the kicking system but NCAA already said it was staying the same as last year's system.

Hadn't seen that. Dangit, I was hoping for the new bar in NCAA.

Hey Jeff, what do you envision as a "defensive announcement"? Perhaps I'm more skeptical than you in that regard, but I really just don't know what they can bring to the table. Obviously, player lock will be there, but what kinds of advancements to defensive gameplay do you think they would have?

If there is anything related to gameplay, I can see Co-op make its way into NCAA. I personally don't think it'd be a big deal, as I doubt I'd take advantage of it that often, but it would be a "shocker" in the CD guy's eyes. It is a pretty big feature, but I wouldn't use it. Beyond that, I tend to think we are game-played out. (but I'm more than happy to be surprised)

Thoughts?

I think a pure defensive camera, one that doesn't constantly pan around like player lock, would be a really cool feature. In terms of defensive features, the ability choose a CB to cover a specific WR would be good. The ability to shade inside or outside with DBs would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Nope. Madden redid the kicking system but NCAA already said it was staying the same as last year's system.
    That's too bad, the kicking system is in need of an upgrade. But personally I think the blocking AI will upgrade the return in special teams dramatically as a whole. I am hoping it won't be a return fest though. Not sure how that will play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I think a pure defensive camera, one that doesn't constantly pan around like player lock, would be a really cool feature. In terms of defensive features, the ability choose a CB to cover a specific WR would be good. The ability to shade inside or outside with DBs would be nice.
    Yeah the CB and/or S being able to shade would be nice. I actually think that might be in. On the latest video we had, there is a play with Louisville on offense, where the S has come up on the slot. I don't know the shading on him, but he is positioned to take away a slant route, with his back to the middle of the field, as opposed to head up. He backs out, but his positioning is interesting. The matchup feature from madden, would be a good addition defensively.

I sure hope the bump and run is better than we've seen from a defensive standpoint on the wr. I haven't seen a good bump yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindRedBaron View Post
    Hey Jeff, what do you envision as a "defensive announcement"? Perhaps I'm more skeptical than you in that regard, but I really just don't know what they can bring to the table. Obviously, player lock will be there, but what kinds of advancements to defensive gameplay do you think they would have?
    I honestly don't know what they'd bring. I've tried to think about it, but I can't come up with a new feature. Clearly, the defense needs something to reign in the Blocking AI and Locomotion, at least in my opinion.

Then again, on the upside for our hopes, I wouldn't have come up with Commit, Gameplan, Player Lock, or any of the recent features. So I'm obviously not the creative one here.

Tease!!

And how'd that turn out for her?

sorry, that's a horrible joke.

Honestly, with the exception of a play creator, custom playbooks, and the ability to tell DBs to shade to a particular side, there aren't any announcements that I'd care about. Aside from those things, I'm pretty satisfied with the current feature set. I'm more concerned to see how well they execute the elements that have already been announced, particularly as they relate to gameplay.