Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Recruiting Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I'm still confused how WVU beat me out for 2 guys.

That DT I was #1 on his board to start season, then last week bumped down to #2 and this week he commits to WVU. Those bastards are cheating and I"m going to figure it out.

*Also next season please add WVU to my schedule. We need to, well let's just say they need a little lesson on repect.

I'm pumped I got that WR. He is slow, but he has solid hands and will fit well into my passing game.

James Carlton
    T #2
    6'5"
    301 lbs
    Edmonton, CN

Strength - B-
    Pass Block C+
    Run Block - C+
    Impact Block C+
    Speed C
    Acceleration

Other offers Alabama
    James comes in with a good frame and good footwork and should be able to develop nice skills with a redshirt. Apparently James biggest recruiting was #3 ranked tackle Bernard Davis that already committed to USC. These two are looking to hold down the oline for the next couple of years.

The battle for #1 DT Chris Clifford is really heating up. Should be interesting with him visiting the rest of you in the next 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    The battle for #1 DT Chris Clifford is really heating up. Should be interesting with him visiting the rest of you in the next 3 weeks.
    Considering I just got a x2 and have him in for a visit this week, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls Ann Arbor home next season.

2x !!!!!! Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    Considering I just got a x2 and have him in for a visit this week, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls Ann Arbor home next season.
    Let's hope all my negative recruiting help against Michigan this week. I think I racked up -117 negative points on why not to go to Ann Arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    Let's hope all my negative recruiting help against Michigan this week. I think I racked up -117 negative points on why not to go to Ann Arbor.
    I wonder how the logic actually works cause I racked up I think -70 some with 2 different pitches against Michigan

Hmm I'm not real sure. I'd love to know and test things out on certain things but that is probably more work then I'd like to do.

Knowing you negative pitched Michigan as well, I really hope he doesn't commit this week. I'd be disappointed.

It never helps me but I know texas stole a soft commit rb from me with Neg recruiting

I don't remember that :p

I guess I should've been focusing the negative recruiting on Michigan instead of spreading it out

bryson hopkins douche

Ah....the guy is who rated 97 as a junior and still can't start? I think I remember him now :-p

Speaking of that....I haven't seen another super fast RB since so I have been going after power guys.

yea i guess it is a good thing you got him since the other dude is a shadow of his father and made of glass

lol....it pains me that one season has created this horrible perception. Little Earl is a warrior *cough*

WR Curt Goss [5star] [espnu150]

* Height: 6'1"
    * Weight: 169 lbs
    * Hometown: Converse, TX
    * Tendency: Possession
    * Top 3 Schools: #1 Penn State, #2 Miami, #3 Texas

Catching C
    Spectacular Catch B+
    Catch in Traffic C
    Route Running C
    Release B

Curt is a great signing for PSU. Penn State is looking for Curt to Redshirt this upcoming season and really work on his strength and conditioning.

SS Heath Wagner [5star] [espnu150]

* Height: 6'0"
    * Weight: 198 lbs
    * Hometown: Pennsauken, NJ
    * Tendency: Hard Hitter
    * Top 3 Schools: #1 Penn State, #2 Alabama, #3 Texas

Tackle B+
    Hit Power B-
    Pursuit B-
    Play Recognition C
    Speed B+
    Man Coverage B
    Zone Coverage B-
    Press B

Heath comes to PSU in hopes of giving this secondary a big boost. Right now seen as the biggest liability for the Lions, things might be changing with the signings in this class this year.

DE Cedrick Robison [4star] [espnu150]

* Height: 6'2"
    * Weight: 227 lbs
    * Hometown: Evans, GA
    * Tendency: Run Stopper
    * Top 3 Schools: #1 Penn State, #2 Alabama, #3 Florida State

Tackle B-
    Hit Power C+
    Pursuit B
    Power Moves C
    Finesse Moves C+
    Block Shedding A-

Cedrick is a great signing for PSU. In an area where graduation will start to show it's effects over the next couple of seasons this was a very nice "get" for the staff. The thing that impressed the staff was his ability to get off of blocks and make plays in the back field. Cedrick just has a knack to get to the ball.

WR Nigel Herron [4star] [espnu150]

* Weight: 218 lbs
    * Hometown: Sayville, NY
    * Tendency: Balanced
    * Top 3 Schools: #1 Penn State, #2 Utah, #3 West Virginia

Catching C
    Spectacular Catch B+
    Catch in Traffic C+
    Route Running C-
    Release C+

Nigel seems to fit the prototypical WR here at PSU. Not a burner, yet someone with solid hands that can keep the chains moving. Nigel will also Redshirt this upcoming season.

CB Chad Grant [4star] [espnu150]

* Height: 6'2"
    * Weight: 185 lbs
    * Hometown: Lakeside, VA
    * Tendency: Hard Hitter
    * Top 3 Schools: #1 Penn State, #2 Virginia Tech, #3 West Virginia

Play Recognition B-
    Man Coverage B+
    Zone Coverage B
    Press B

Chad was just a surprise commit for PSU. With Vtech leading the way throughout and being the home school it was a shocker that he committed to PSU after a visit. Chad brings some very respectable talents with him to the north, and could challenge the other CB's on the two deep next season.

HB Tyrone Faulk [4star] [espnu150]

* Weight: 213 lbs
    * Hometown: Gahanna, OH
    * Tendency: Power
    * Top 3 Schools: #1 Penn State, #2 Wisconsin, #3 West Virginia

Nothing flashy really to report here, but Tyrone should be a more then serviceable back for PSU. Pending on the rest of the class signings at HB Tyrone may not be able to Redshirt.

Nelson Estes - DE [espnu150]
    Claiborne, LA
    6'5'' 272 LBS
    5-Star

Evaluation:

There is plenty to like about Estes as this kid is a talented and disruptive defender who still possesses a frightening amount of upside. He has great size and displays a nice wingspan. Despite already being in that 250 pound range he still has plenty of room to pack on more good bulk with time in a college weight program. He can be quick off the ball, but does need to be more consistent. He will flash real good quickness at times, but can be a beat late at other times in getting off on the ball. While he needs to fine tune his get-off one thing is certain when he does get moving he can cause serious problems. He moves much better then a person of his size should. He has very good speed and can be a factor from the backside and downfield. He also flashes the ability to utilize good angles in pursuit. While he is athletic he displays the ability to play smart. He is not out there just trying to out-athlete everyone and does not just run around wildly. He comes across the line and stays square. Does a solid job of squeezing down and closing daylight and locates the ball well. He moves well laterally and has good reactive athleticism and once he locates the ball he can redirect and close. He is a good wrap-up tackler. While his athleticism is impressive he is also a physical and stout player when taking on blocks. Despite his long frame does a good job of coming out of his stance and keeping solid pad level and being able to generate power from his lower body when engaging a blocker. He is able to take on a block and hold his ground. Displays good raw strength, but one area of his game that needs to improve is in the use of his hands. He has a great reach but needs to utilize it more. He will get hands on, but needs to work on creating better separation so he can more easily and quickly disengage. He has the tools to be a menace as a pass rusher. He flashes the ability to attack the outside shoulder, sink in a rip move, and turn the corner. He moves so quickly that he can make tackles pay if they open up too quickly. Has the power and can generate the leverage to bull rush his way back. Needs to keep developing his pass rush arsenal and working on being violent and consistently active with his weapons. Estes is a fun kid to watch and has the tools to be a hell of a college football player. Has some areas to still improve in which is kind of scary.

Chris Clifford - DT [espnu150]
    Buena Vista, MI
    6'5'' 268 LBS
    5-Star

Evaluation:

Clifford is a prospect capable of being a playmaker at the defensive tackle position. This is not a kid you ask to eat up blocks and clog up a gap, you want to turn him loose and let him be a disruptive presence. The first thing that jumps out at you about him is his get-off. He has very good first step-quickness and is regularly the first guy moving. He is a penetrating defensive tackle. He displays the ability to stay low and get under blockers pads and quickly get by and get into the backfield. He is not lost if he can not just blow by blockers. He is able to take on blocks and hold his ground. He needs to watch his pad level, but will use his hands to engage and shed and displays good strength to hold his ground. He can move laterally and work along the line. He is a good tackler and has a good motor. He will pursue to the ball and will re-direct and retrace and will take solid angles in pursuit. He is an impressive looking kid and carriers his weight well, as he is a tall and athletic looking tackle. He has good speed for his size and can be a factor on the perimeter, but can seem a little rigid on the move at times though. He is dangerous as a pass rusher because of his get-off. Will flash the ability to work a quick swim and is consistently trying to play half-a-man and get-off blocks. He can keep developing his pass rush arsenal, but is an active kid that keeps working to get free and can be tough to handle. Clifford is a player. He looks the part and can cause havoc. Very good defensive tackle prospect.

Mark Bennett - OLB [espnu150]
    Colleyville, TX
    6'4'' 240 LBS
    4-Star

Evaluation:

Bennett shows the playing strength to dominate as a run stopper. Has the size and athleticism for the outside linebacker position at the major level of competition. Displays very good flexibility, agility and balance; does a good job with K&D recognition skills against both the run and pass. Will step up and take on blockers, showing the upper body strength to defeat blockers vs. inside run. Is a tough downhill player with excellent lateral ability; scrapes off the edge with the balance and agility necessary to avoid contact while moving through traffic. This guy plays under control, is balanced up and explosive at the point of attack; demonstrates the toughness to make big plays in goal line and short yardage situations. Flashes good coverage awareness; quick to locate underneath receivers with eyes on the QB; displays good plant and break on the ball. Also shows excellent potential rushing the pass; possesses very good closing burst off the edge when the QB breaks containment. This guy tackles with authority; will wrap, roll his hips and drive through the ball carrier. Is a punishing, knock'em back tackler with one arm potential. We see a prospect with an outstanding motor capable of making momentum changing plays from any spot on the field. There is the potential for excellent production on special teams. Bennett may not be an immediate starter at the major level of competition however early playing time is a very good possibility if a red shirt year is not deemed necessary.

Bryan Nelson - OT [espnu150]
    Northbrook, OH
    6'5'' 290 LBS
    4-Star

Evaluation:

As a run blocker, when Nelson clamps down on a defender it's usually all over. Although this player currently lacks the great size we like to see for the tackle position at the major level of competition, he more than makes up for it with run blocking ability. Shows very good flexibility in a three point stance; comes off the ball with good technique, a measured 1st step and fit, flat back / pad level, good base and leg drive which consistently allows him to walk defenders off the line of scrimmage. Although mostly a strong finisher, there are more opportunities for pancake blocks vs. both 1st and 2nd level defenders; displays the foot quickness and balance to play in space vs. linebackers. His quick set ability can improve but we do see the flexibility and foot quickness which allows him to bend, slide his feet and play flat footed. This guy puts very good arm length and quick hands to his advantage; plays with advanced initial punch, placement and extension; most often can keep defenders off his body. Will need to improve his upper body playing strength vs. the bull rush however we see the lower body strength to play stout. This is a tough guy who can dominate opponents when he puts his mind to it; when finishing blocks a little bit more of a mean streak would serve him well. Nelson possesses the necessary skills for the tackle position; a growth spurt with added bulk will be of great benefit. His ability could allow for early playing time while his physical and technical skills improve.

Sean Little - OC
    Naples, FL
    6'2'' 285 LBS
    4-Star

Evaluation:

Little is a very good technician with the playing strength to become a dominant player as his career develops. Possesses the size and athleticism we like to see for the center's position at the major level of competition. Does a good job as a defensive tackle showing the playing strength necessary to hold the point of attack with good R&R skills; is active in pursuit able to make plays down the line on scrimmage. Displays good flexibility when snapping the ball; works well with the QB up underneath and with consistency from the shotgun set. We see a blocker capable of coming off the ball with good initial quickness and a flat back, flashes explosion with good fit, base and leg drive; gets movement off the L.O.S. when covered. Is able to backside block effectively and front side reach when shaded. This prospect is a very good zone blocker; works well to the 2nd level and is capable of gaining position on linebackers; plays on his feet well in space. Presently we see a player with the ability to make all the necessary run blocks at this stage of his development. Demonstrates very good toughness in pass protection; has good short set quickness; shows good immediate bend and quick long arms. His initial punch, location and extension are advanced; plays stout against the bull rush with effectiveness and is not easily overpowered. Shows the skill to slide and play flat footed, keeping himself in front of the rusher. Although Little may not be an immediate starter at the major level of competition, the tough, finishing attitude displayed leads us to believe this player will have a long and productive career.

Brian Johnson - K
    St. Louis Hright, HI
    6'0'' 209 LBS
    3-Star

Evaluation:

Johnson is a competitive athlete. He loves the pressure of kicking and he delivered in a big way at Kohl's National Scholarship Camp. He gets tremendous lift and a clean rotation on his FG's. Johnson's Kick Offs normally hang in the air for 4-4.1 seconds and consistently travel 70 yards. His punts are solid as well. He has an ability to hit a consistent spiral and should be able to punt at some point in college. Johnson is as mentally tough as any high school kicker in the last 2-3 years. He should be able to play immediately as a true freshman in college. He was selected to play in the Under Armour All-American Game.

Tramaine Roberts
    ATH #1
    6'2"
    187lbs
    Parkway, CA

Speed - A
    Man Coverage - B+
    Zone Coverage - B
    Press - C
    Tackle - D
    Hit Power B

USC is happy to welcome Tramaine to campus. He's got great reaction times and has a very quick first step. He will probably use a redshirt year to try out a couple of different positions in the secondary but will probably settle on cornerback with his man coverage skills.
    Other offers - Texas

Quinton Handy
    SS #13
    5'11"
    174 lbs
    Apple Valley, CA

Speed - C
    Man Coverage - B-
    Zone Coverage - B+
    Press - B-
    Tackle - C
    Hit Power A-

Quinton is a little bit of a surprise package. He's a little small for a safety and doesn't quite have the speed for cornerback. But what Quinton does bring is pure knock out power. One of the hardest hitters that we've seen in a long time he should fit into the defense scheme very nicely and will be let loose in the secondary to mainly focus on wrapping people up

Seeing all these familiar names just puts pain in my heart....I need to get my ish together

lol psuevx, C speed! are you moving him to DE?

Quote Originally Posted by fsuprime View Post
    lol psuevx, C speed! are you moving him to DE?
    Yeah he's a depth chart filler for sure.