21 35.00%
  • Coaching Carousel

39 65.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Championship: Custom Playbooks vs. Coaching Carousel

• Facebook
  • Display

Championship: Custom Playbooks vs. Coaching Carousel

- Before voting, feel free to revisit previous voting discussion threads to get more ideas on how the community would like each feature to be designed in the franchise.
    - After voting, share your thoughts behind your vote and how you would like to see each feature implemented into the game, regardless of vote.

Custom Playbooks

Many NCAA Football gamers spend days (if not weeks) trying to find the perfect playbook – one with the right mix of plays and formations they feel comfortable with. However, many end up disappointed – only finding a playbook that contains a portion of what they want. With Custom Playbooks (a feature in last-gen NCAA Football), users could pick a set number of formations to use in a custom playbook linked to their profile or similar to All-Pro Football 2K8, they could pick individual plays from any formation(s) to be in their playbook. (Round 1 Discussion - Round 2 Discussion - Sweet 16 Discussion - Elite 8 Discussion - Final 4 Discussion)

Coaching Carousel

In the last fifteen years, all but one program (Penn State) has had to look for a new head coach to try and lead their program to the top of the college football world. Accordingly, some in the NCAA Football community have asked for a coaching carousel similar to that found in 2K Sports’ now-defunct College Hoops franchise. Each coach would have different ratings (OFF, DEF, ST) that would increase (or retard) progress on that side of the ball and also catch the ire of recruits at certain positions. Over time, these coaches would leave for jobs at other schools, get fired, or retire. The pool would constantly be replenished by assistant coaches who would have the same attribute ratings affecting players & teams. (This category does NOT include coaches being visible on the sideline as that would be a separate programming & design issue and is a different item in the tournament.) (Round 1 Discussion - Round 2 Discussion - Sweet 16 Discussion - Elite 8 Discussion - Final 4 Discussion)

Custom playbooks would make this game amazing! Who cares about the coaching carousel when the user is the one calling the plays? Custom playbooks would make strategy important and it would be fun to play around with and adjust for each opponent.

Adam said awhile back on OS (or maybe it was implied..?) that they don't usually promise anything, but look for custom playbooks for next years game. Though, without knowing this I would still vote for coaching carousel. The replay value in my opinion is not that great for NCAA games (NBA 2k comes out and all the great holiday releases) so having this feature will help me play this game longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoes002 View Post
    Adam said awhile back on OS (or maybe it was implied..?) that they don't usually promise anything, but look for custom playbooks for next years game.
    I went back trying to find this comment but was unable to find it... any idea how long ago he said this?

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I went back trying to find this comment but was unable to find it... any idea how long ago he said this?
    My recall of that conversation was that Custom Playbooks was possible BUT it was a massive, massive undertaking which at some point in the future they would like to see back in the game.

This is the dream matchup for me as I want to see both of them. Custom playbooks brings back one of the best features from PS2 last gen days. Coaching carousel however could really take this game into an entirely new direction and gives the user so many more ways to enjoy this game. I just see so much potential with carousel. That being said, I am voting for custom playbooks.
    Custom playbooks:
    *truly allow you to play the role as coach with regards to the type of plays/formations you wish to use
    *allow for the creation of unique formation philosophy
    *allow you to recruit specific personnel for your type of play calling
    *continually adjust and re=adjust formations that work/don't work in your schemes
    *strategize against the opposition on a week-by-week basis, etc, etc etc

I can totally see myself getting lost in the custom playbook set-up and taking hours to handcraft my idealized offense. I FORMATION, PISTOL, AND SPLIT BACK are my fave formations and this feature would allow me to create a perfect hyrid offense that currently does not exist in NCAA Football. The upside for this type of feature is just too much for it not to be in this game.

I don't even care that much. Both are nice but I voted coaching carousel. Neither one of these would have cracked my Top 10 list.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill
    I wish special dynasty games weren't against what's probably going to eventually be the champion or runner up (to custom playbooks). I'd like special dynasty games to get a little more pub before getting eliminated.
    Called it in the first round!

I went with custom playbooks but I know Coaching Carousel is going to win this.

I'd NEVER use Custom Playbooks so I went with Carousel. Gotta respect the item that took your favorite (Defense) out.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Here's the quote...

"My guess is they will be in NCAA 12. I hate to say that though, because even 2 months from final I won't promise something is in cause it could be cut at the last minute, and right now NOTHING is set in stone for NCAA 12 other than 11 on 11 college football. But we recognized custom playbooks as the biggest community request that didn't make NCAA 11, so I like its chances."

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoes002 View Post
    Here's the quote...

"My guess is they will be in NCAA 12. I hate to say that though, because even 2 months from final I won't promise something is in cause it could be cut at the last minute, and right now NOTHING is set in stone for NCAA 12 other than 11 on 11 college football. But we recognized custom playbooks as the biggest community request that didn't make NCAA 11, so I like its chances."
    Wow! I didn't remember that comment but that sounds very promising.

I voted for Carousel, but really want

Carousel
    Custom Playbooks
    Defense and ST redone!

I know it's a big list but I can wish.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphan2488 View Post
    Custom playbooks would make this game amazing! Who cares about the coaching carousel when the user is the one calling the plays?
    Honestly? Me. I play so many seasons of dynasty, that I'd love to see the CPU change it up a little. I flew through seasons of College Hoops 2k just to get to the carousel and see where my coach was going. That was a lot of the fun of the game.

I can find a playbook that does enough of what I want without Custom Playbooks. In fact, this year I'm using even less plays than in year's past. Simplified Create-A-Play would help me considerably ... but Custom Playbooks adds nothing to my game.

Carousel has been the one thing I've felt is truly missing from Dynasty Mode for years.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

^^^ Yep, Carousel for me.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Same here. Carousel would be HUGE. It's one of the main reasons why people still playing College Hoops 2k8. The coaching carousel for that game is by far the best I've ever seen. If EA gets it even remotely close to that, it will be a HUGE addition to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Same here. Carousel would be HUGE. It's one of the main reasons why people still playing College Hoops 2k8. The coaching carousel for that game is by far the best I've ever seen. If EA gets it even remotely close to that, it will be a HUGE addition to the game.
    Exactly. College Hoops 2k8's Coaching Carousel and Presentation (Highlight Shows, Recruiting Updates, Selection Sunday Show etc.) is what kept me playing that game till 2k11 came out. Hopefully we can get those two features for NCAA Football 12.

really tough choice, as I really want both. I went with Custom Playbook.

hopefully both can be put into the game, as to me you need custom playbook to have coaching carousel. you need some way to differentiate your coach from the other coaches.

I voted for the coaching carousel in each round and i continued here. Ive seen alot of talk about how EA should try to emulate the CH2K8 coaching carousel, and i would like to see some of that in the game, but i'd also like to see some of the dynasty implemented from the old ncaa gamebreaker games. i think people overlook that game because gameplay was terrible, but i think some of the coaching parts of it would be good. i think that in dynasty you should have the option for either and open, closed, or advanced dynasty. Open would be start with any teamn, closed start as head coach of a poor team (CH2K8), or advanced where you start as a coordinator. you start out at a school of your choice and try to implement your style of offense or defense. you can only recruit that side of the ball and the head coach gets final say on the players you bring in. also in game you would only control the offense or defense, controlling the gameplay not just the playcall (NFL Head Coach). if you can lead your style to high statistics than you get a shot at being a head coach just like in real life. i know this may be too much to implement i just think it be a cool feature.

i used to play gamebreaker over ncaa until GB died out to EA... my first year on an EA sports NCAA (NCAA 01) game i was sold... for 2 reasons...

#1 - CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS
    #2 - SIMPLE PLAY CREATOR

after that year... never saw it again... and i just cant get past the fact that i could do it on PS1... in the year 2000... and now on PS3... in the year 2010... i cant... that to me is sad and inexcusable... now on the other hand i want to see carousel just as much as i want custom playbooks, i vote custom... but i wont lose either way if only one of these get into 12... but i doubt that happens and fully expect to see BOTH in the game... if i do not, i will probably turn grumpy and move to "another site" and just be pissed off 24/7 until 13 releases... =) nah im just kidding... but you get my point...

"E"

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphan2488 View Post
    Custom playbooks would make this game amazing! Who cares about the coaching carousel when the user is the one calling the plays? Custom playbooks would make strategy important and it would be fun to play around with and adjust for each opponent.
    You may have missed the Carousel part. This is not coaching offers. This is a full coach carousel with changing cpu coaches and playbooks and gameplans and recruiting....

I went with Carousel. I hope to goodness that Special Teams, O and D playbooks are massively upgraded. I also hope for a ton of team celebrations, a renewal of 1 on 1 wr/db interactions (including in air and jump ball situations), and a renewed crowd atmosphere. If that stuff and the yearly upgrades make it, everything else for me is icing.