• Better CPU Playcalling

22 47.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Four: Custom Playbooks vs. Better CPU Playcalling

• Facebook
  • Display
    got ya... =)

"E"

You bring up some good points, Gridiron. Let me explain why we have some items that can be considered 'expected' and 'certain' the field.

One of our goals here is to provide an opportunity for people to state their thoughts, opinions, and feedback on the game in a respectful manner with others while also hopefully being read by the game developers. We were able to get Ben H. to share the team's thoughts on the tourney and they have been checking in and reading things.

While items like Improved Playbooks & Playcalling are expected and always tweaked, adjusted, expanded, etc. each year, we feel having these items in the tournament accomplishes two things:
    1) If it advances far into the tournament, it shows that the NCAA Football community feels that this is an area that can still see a lot of work and
    2) it gives the community a direct line to state how they want these items changed. "Improve the defensive playcalling" doesn't help the team, but "the CPU calls CB blitzes and Engage 8 way too often on 3rd and Long" does.

One aspect we hear most from the community is that they want to convey their thoughts on the game with developers. This is a way for users to come out and explain in detail changes they would like to see in some specific game areas. While the vote totals and results are a great way to show what is important to the community, some low seed and early eliminated items are going to see themselves in the game down the line as well, so that is where community feedback (people saying what they want to see in an aspect) is actually the most important aspect of the tournament IMO.

Also, keep in mind that if we didn't have some of these 'guaranteed to be worked on' features in the tournament, people would be disappointed & upset as well, wondering why there were so few gameplay items. It's a double edged sword.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    double edged sword.
    why i used that in reference earlier... and i think some of my stuff come off reading as i was angry, when in fact its the opposite, im that much more confident in them after playing NCAA 11... they have raised my bar of expectation, thats all... but last "feedback listing" that was released and viewed by them, we got pretty much everything, if not all of it if i remember correctly... so im expecting these elite 8 items to be really focused on, and would assume that most of these items were already being worked on before we posted this stuff... custom playbooks and maybe later a simplified creator is the pinnacle of my wish list... for both sides of the ball... =)

"E"

I didn't think you were angry so no worries, man! You're right that it's an area that will always be worked on, but we wanted to make sure the community could have a voice in saying what they see as issues and what improvements they would like. Now, if NCAA 12 doesn't address some of the specific items mentioned by the community re: playcalling, no one can say TGT didn't give good feedback!

I was going to say that I think it's more about the CPU effectively executing plays as opposed to the actual play called but then I remembered how bad the plays were called in Road to Glory.

Anyway, I still want my custom playbook. It's my personal #1 feature.

2 things have been lost in the shuffle here (not blaming, just my observation):

1) This is not an EA tourney, but rather a COMMUNITY Tourney. Any EA observations are purely beneficial to us, not mandatory for them.

2) It's both a list of priority AND necessity for already instituted features. It's not a case of 'should' the feature be worked on, but rather, should it be a feature that is worked on as an 'update', or should it receive 'new feature' attention?

For example the line blocking schemes last year were such a HUGE concern among those of the community, that even though it was already a 'feature' in the game, it was completely revamped, including adding true option and zone schemes to the mix. That received 'new feature' attention imo. Also if I remember correctly it was given a 'New Feature' tag, and you Gridiron promptly agreed with that tag.

Line play on the other hand was also a requested feature, but not as high so it received 'update' attention. Because it goes hand in hand with blocking, new animations and routing to the pocket, as well as some better angles and a pseudo gameplan feature were added to help with scrambling qb's and pocket presence.

So when I see "better cpu playcalling" I think to myself: Would I be ok with them touching up the AI for O and D and getting rid of the engage eight from the cpu playcalling sheet and moving on to a 'more important' feature such as Custom Playbooks? Or is this a feature worth 'new feature' attention, whereas I need every cpu controlled team to have time spent with their own gameplan so that every team plays their own true and unique Offensive and Defensive style, including possibly adding coordinators, etc., before anything else gets more attention?

When I see improved D playbooks I think: Would I be ok with a couple formations being added to all playbooks with generic plays so that the 'more important' Carousel can be attended too? Or is this a feature worth 'new feature' attention, whereas I need BRAND new D play styles, playbooks and coordinators for each team uniquely, including team specific names and lineup points before anything else gets more attention?
    Last edited by Jayrah; 11-27-2010 at 04:50 AM.

On the one hand though XGridX, I completely agree that it would be a shame if they can't at least get to most, if not all of these top 8 or so features into the process in some capacity.

How is this even a contest? The CPU playcalling is awful. I'm sick of playing against 8 man blitzes every other down.

Quote Originally Posted by brza37 View Post
    How is this even a contest? The CPU playcalling is awful. I'm sick of playing against 8 man blitzes every other down.
    I agree. I really don't understand this, particularly from a hardcore site.

IMHO, we should tell the EA team they need to fix what is BROKEN before they add on something new.

I have my doubts about whether EA could/can actually pull off a realistic Human-like AI. But something has to be done to stop 60+ yd field goal attempts; calling time outs exactly at the 2:00 and 1:00 mark no matter the time/score; going for 2 way too early in the game; calling engage 8 as one of its primary forms of defense; etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    2 things have been lost in the shuffle here (not blaming, just my observation):

It's not a case of 'should' the feature be worked on, but rather, should it be a feature that is worked on as an 'update', or should it receive 'new feature' attention?
    I disagree. I don't believe we're intending to make any distinction between to what degree things should be worked on.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    IMHO, we should tell the EA team they need to fix what is BROKEN before they add on something new.

I have my doubts about whether EA could/can actually pull off a realistic Human-like AI. But something has to be done to stop 60+ yd field goal attempts; calling time outs exactly at the 2:00 and 1:00 mark no matter the time/score; going for 2 way too early in the game; calling engage 8 as one of its primary forms of defense; etc...
    Couldn't agree more. I had some videos of a RB in the Wildcat avoiding nothing but open space for a TD and running right into a DB near the sideline. QB scrambling AI was much better 5 years ago on the PS2. EA really did re-write a lot of code for the AI and it has taken years to catch up in some areas to what they already had in the PS2. It's taken 5 years on the PS3/360 just to get the cpu QB to avoid throwing a ton of picks and getting them to throw the ball downfield. It's just been a really long process for this generation and football has been behind every other sport. I think NCAA 11 has been easily the best football game on the PS3 for me but it still has a ways to go. Improving cpu AI is an area that is really needed. I'm tired of seeing stupid defensive blitzes on third down, slow QBs running the option, the cpu not being able to run the option with a fast QB, every QB playing like a pocket passer with almost no threat of scrambling, trying FGs that are 5-10 yards beyond the kicker's range, etc.

When you play a baseball game I would argue that it's almost better playing against the cpu. They play like a real opponent. Basketball fans would argue that NBA 2K11 might be the best sports game out there. Both the Show and NBA 2K11 look like real games when you watch them. I don't feel like that at all when I watch a football game. Part of that is the camera angle but the other part is the lack of realistic and varied animations and a momentum system that still doesn't reflect reality.

these topics are tough... create some passionate conversation... because there are things we are willing to overlook to get other things that we have wanted for a long time... i agree with everything pretty much, its just my personal opinion and wants from the game are slightly different... i knew the elite 8/final 4 would really bring out the heartfelt opinions... i agree with a lot of what has been said, even if i have chosen one over the other... but then i look at NCAA 10, and then look at NCAA 11... and remember how surprised i was when they made that much change in one year... and can only imagine what they may get done for this release... remember they put out the "list" last year trying to get people to pick things from it that they wanted to see in or back in the game... and we ended up getting it all pretty much... i just expect more out of them, may be setting myself up for an angry disappointment, but ill take my chances, especially seeing this years release in NCAA 11...

"E"