• WR/DB Match-up

11 22.00%
  • Better CPU Playcalling

39 78.00%

Thread: Elite 8: WR/DB Match-up vs. Better CPU Playcalling

• Facebook
  • Display

Elite 8: WR/DB Match-up vs. Better CPU Playcalling

- Before voting, feel free to revisit previous voting discussion threads to get more ideas on how the community would like each feature to be designed in the franchise.
    - After voting, share your thoughts behind your vote and how you would like to see each feature implemented into the game, regardless of vote.
    - Vote early: all future rounds will be open just three days for voting.

WR/DB Match-Up

A feature added to Madden NFL 10, this allows users to assign a defensive back to cover a particular wide receiver no matter where the WR may be lined up on the field. (Round 1 Discussion - Round 2 Discussion - Sweet 16 Discussion)

Better CPU Playcalling

The general idea here is that the CPU would better utilize their team and also vary their playcalling. For example, if a CPU offensive team is strong running but poor passing, they would call plays accordingly, regardless of how their playbook is setup. As well, plays that are too often called (ex. Engage Eight blitz) would be called less and used in better situations.

Another possible aspect to this could be that the CPU would monitor what is effective against particular users and then call plays accordingly. For example, if a user's defense shows tendencies that it is more susceptible to the pass, the CPU then call more passing plays against that user. These tendencies could be learned over time to always keep the CPU's playcalling fresh. (Round 1 Discussion - Round 2 Discussion - Sweet 16 Discussion)

Went with CPU playcalling.

WR/DB matchup.

I'd really rather have the better play calling but noone has convinced me EA has the ability to actually pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Went with CPU playcalling.
    ^^^ This... again ^^^

Great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    WR/DB matchup.

I'd really rather have the better play calling but noone has convinced me EA has the ability to actually pull this off.
    I would tend to agree with you on this one.

If they put their focus on it, and were willing to make it a major feature, they'd put the resources into it to make it top tier.

The offensive playcalling made huge strides this year, and with a little bit of automated tweaking to some of the Coach Philosophies (i.e. if the team had better HBs than WRs, automatically move the coaching philosophy more to Run), I think they'd be in business without major effort. The defense is where the real need is. Obviously that's considerably easier said than done, but I'm confident they could surprise us.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

WR/DB matchup.

i remember a certain site that said something along these lines about "overhauling gameplay" in one gaming cycle, which i can guarantee is harder than tuning up the play calling for the CPU... just saying... but i do feel where you are coming from...

"E"

Play-calling

WR/DB matchup.

There is one thing in NCAA 11 that gives me hope that EA could successfully give us better CPU playcalling. Adjusting the coaching sliders, mostly the offensive/defensive aggression, really seems to improve the CPU's playcalling. Turn down the CPU defensive aggression and they actually seem to react to your playcalling tendencies, and call defensive plays accordingly, instead of running Engage Eight every other play. Unfortunately this can't be done in online dynasties, and in offline dynasties takes significant amount of time to manually change this for all coaches.

I would like WR/DB matchup to counteract the offenses formation subs, but CPU playcalling needs the upgrade more.

Both are important, but I think better CPU play calling would affect the game more and make playing the CPU better, so I went with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU View Post
    There is one thing in NCAA 11 that gives me hope that EA could successfully give us better CPU playcalling. Adjusting the coaching sliders, mostly the offensive/defensive aggression, really seems to improve the CPU's playcalling. Turn down the CPU defensive aggression and they actually seem to react to your playcalling tendencies, and call defensive plays accordingly, instead of running Engage Eight every other play. Unfortunately this can't be done in online dynasties, and in offline dynasties takes significant amount of time to manually change this for all coaches.

I would like WR/DB matchup to counteract the offenses formation subs, but CPU playcalling needs the upgrade more.
    So the suggestion should be made to the team to make the default aggression less than it is currently. And I completely agree I think ea could make a much larger than anticipated step in playcalling tendencies and awareness. Also what Jeff said was nice work.