• WR/DB Match-up

34 73.91%
  • Old School Playbooks

12 26.09%

Thread: Sweet 16: WR/DB Match-up vs. Old School Playbooks

• Facebook
  • Display

Sweet 16: WR/DB Match-up vs. Old School Playbooks

After voting, share your thoughts behind your vote and on each feature in this thread.
    Vote early - all future rounds will be open just three days for voting.

WR/DB Match-Up

A feature added to Madden NFL 10, this allows users to assign a defensive back to cover a particular wide receiver no matter where the WR may be lined up on the field. (Round 1 Discussion - Round 2 Discussion)

Old School Playbooks

Tommie Frazier running the Triple Option out of the I for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Eddie George lining up in a splitbacks formation for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Darryl Royal's Veer Option at Texas. The Wishbone, the Single Wing, and under-center Run and Shoot. On the defensive side, you have the 46 Bear, the 50 (Double) Eagle. All are philosophies, schemes, or "ways of life" that are more associated with yesteryear than today's collegiate offenses. While NCAA 11 did add a lot of older formations (particularly Splitbacks and Wishbone), these are often single formations with limited ability to become the foundation of an offense. There is a vocal minority that would like to see these formations expanded on and become full-blown playbooks. To ease the workload, the NCAA team could look at Playstation 1-era versions of the title, where some of these formations were prevalent. (Round 1 Discussion - Round 2 Discussion)

I like both of these features but I'd rather "fix" an issue than add some new playbooks. The Defense needs to be able to combat the popular tactic of putting their #1 receiver in the slot to torch the #3-#4 Dbs.

Agree with above post. Thus, went with matchup.

Hmmm, interesting vote here. Improved playbooks is a big want, but not old school in this round? If it's one vs the other, I want improved current playbooks, however I think Old school playbooks would lead to an enhancement in play styles. I voted old school, but the match-up stick would be very nice.

I think the TGT'ers sold me a little more on the WR/DB matchup as the tourney has progressed. That's why it got my vote.

:hands jeff a hello kitty band aid for his broken heart: lol

had to go with matchup... much needed with the resurrection of formation subs... especially vs trips, bunch, and condensed formations...

"E"

Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
    :hands jeff a hello kitty band aid for his broken heart: lol
    Hahaha. I can't disagree with people for wanting WR/DB matchup. I play in leagues that don't see much use of WR in the Slot packages, so I don't see it as a massive problem. But there's a reason I don't play Random Online.

That said ... still gotta go with Old School Playbooks. It'll lose, but I'm okay with that. But with all the effort I put into a 1995 Ohio State Buckeyes team ... well, of course I'm going to go with Old School Playbooks. Splitbacks and I-Form Option. The nostalgic in me loves those too much to give 'em up.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

WR/DB match-up

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    The nostalgic in me loves those too much to give 'em up.
    and that is why i gave you a paul blart special my brother... =\

"E"

WR/DB matchup without a doubt. I was playing NCAA Basketball 10 last night and the centre for Austin peay was lighting up my centre so I paused went into Defensive matchups, locked my PF on him and set the coverage to tight. The Austin Peay centre scored 4 points for the rest of the game. We need this type of option for NCAA FOOTBALL.

As much as WR/DB is needed, it's tough to overlook the fun factor of seeing more playstyles (and old school at that) brought into the game and ultimately ODs.