Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 11 - Dynasty Blog 1 of 3: Phone Call

• Facebook
  • Display
    Ya'll really should get off the "EA we're talking about" kick. It's clearly not the same as the past seasons, in any phase of the game. Not saying you can't be cautiously pessemistic, or have an opinion, but... (squint) ***Also not saying you should stop saying it if you believe it, I just don't understand the pessemism based on past seasons is all. Just my 2 cents, not a personal attack***

Based on the CD guys' thoughts, and the limitation in time spent this year, it will be more difficult to land several Big Time Recruits unless you are a top tier team. This is great. More strategy in going after recruits as well, based on (1) Team needs and (2) Your team philosophy, as far as what type of team you want to build based on your offensive system. This will make building a program around a philosophy fun for the first time in forever.

Questions for CD guys: (1) Is there still the top 35 recruit board? (2) Is there any change to the cpu assistance this year: Do your cpu "coaches" still go after and recruit non attended players if you've used all your alotted time? I've always thought if you used your time up, that your assistant coaches shouldn't have any opportunity to 'assist' you that week. However they would add recruits and apparently recruit them anonymously, which I never liked because inevitably they would sign 1* recruits that I NEVER talked too, or even knew existed. If I don't offer a scholarship, they shouldn't be able to sign until they walk-on. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Jayrah; 05-18-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Sounds pretty cool, but, I'm a little disappointed the topics come at your randomly. I can see the recruit wanting to talk about what's important to him (even if my school sucks at it, so then I'm SOL), but if it's low on the recruits priority list, and my school sucks at it, why would it even come up in conversation? I think the recruit should steer things towards his priorities, while I should be able to try to steer the conversation towards what my school is good at. Or maybe it is like that, and the "new topics" aren't completely random?

I'm excited about the changes. Anything that changes things up. At the very least it'll take a season to become a 'good' recruiter which improves dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuahuskers View Post
    Sounds pretty cool, but, I'm a little disappointed the topics come at your randomly. I can see the recruit wanting to talk about what's important to him (even if my school sucks at it, so then I'm SOL), but if it's low on the recruits priority list, and my school sucks at it, why would it even come up in conversation? I think the recruit should steer things towards his priorities, while I should be able to try to steer the conversation towards what my school is good at. Or maybe it is like that, and the "new topics" aren't completely random?
    you have to remember, if he starts off with something low, use one of your 3 "outs" and see if he will follow... they start it, but you can still direct them... as for the clarity of everything, i think a chat session would be good for them to do because this blog is "ok" but not the clearest thing ever presented...

maybe they will drop one on us soon...

"E"

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOLxCOACH View Post
    as for the clarity of everything, i think a chat session would be good for them to do because this blog is "ok" but not the clearest thing ever presented...

maybe they will drop one on us soon...

"E"
    If I was EA, I might even take this one step further & release a video showing someone making a couple of calls to recruits. Seems like that could clear up things more than any chat could.

yes a video would be good, after reading this at lunch and thinking about it makes me wonder if I will like it this way or the old way better....guess it don't matter. I just really want to see Coaches get involved in this game in some form, recruiting is about relationships with Players and Coaches so I like being able to spend a ton of time on players in NCAA 10 where I can only spend what 1 hour now, this might take some getting use to.

I like the new screens. I also like the fact that the recruits can dictate part of the conversation. Adds a different twist. Sounds good so far.

I really hope discipline makes a return to. I loved that in the past. Just don't limit me to how many points I can use to discipline my players. Let me be a hard ass and just have that affect my coaching reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachdenz View Post
    yes a video would be good, after reading this at lunch and thinking about it makes me wonder if I will like it this way or the old way better....guess it don't matter. I just really want to see Coaches get involved in this game in some form, recruiting is about relationships with Players and Coaches so I like being able to spend a ton of time on players in NCAA 10 where I can only spend what 1 hour now, this might take some getting use to.
    Not sure what a video would tell you that isn't clear. This is the 1st blog that REALLY went in depth about everything they talked about. I loved it.

Coaching is about relationships, but the ncaa has time and numerical constraints on calls and visits. This simulates ncaa regulations well. Not to mention, now that you can go through 1 topic in 10 minutes, you don't have to worry too much about spending that time. In previous seasons, you could spend 40 minutes or an hour on 1 topic, and then you went to next topic if you had enough time. Now you get to manage time per topic. You don't lose the topic effectiveness, you can now just put 10 minutes into the topic instead of a random amount.

This new system does take some time to get used to, but I think people will like it. A video would probably help explain it a little more clearly. I know when I first saw it at the CE, I had Ben Haumiller sitting next to me and I had him walk me through it. I'm sure either EA, or a media site (or community member) who gets the game early, will put up a vid so it becomes easier to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Dragon View Post
    From the looks of it, those stupid faces are gone. I think the interface looks better and hopefully the process of recruiting is too.
    Thank goodness.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Notice how this is only blog one of three? We're not even close to being done yet. There. My first tease on The Gaming Tailgate
    You f-ing woman. I swear dude.

J/k, the first thing I noticed was that it was Blog 1 of 3. Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    Not sure what a video would tell you that isn't clear.
    It's all clear, but a video couldn't hurt. When you're talking about a completely new interface, seeing it in action is always a plus. As well, if you look back through some of the replies (including mine), there were some aspects that, while the blog made clear, wasn't 100% understood. Namely topics coming at random, how the Skips work, etc.

It all makes sense, but it's a lot to take in. Especially because, in a way, everything we learned the past two years is gone.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    It's all clear, but a video couldn't hurt. When you're talking about a completely new interface, seeing it in action is always a plus. As well, if you look back through some of the replies (including mine), there were some aspects that, while the blog made clear, wasn't 100% understood. Namely topics coming at random, how the Skips work, etc.

It all makes sense, but it's a lot to take in. Especially because, in a way, everything we learned the past two years is gone.
    Idk, read it more than once? LOL. No, I joke, you're right a vid couldn't hurt. Actually I was ALL sorts of confused until about 2/3 of the way through, and then it all made sense as it tied together.

Quote Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post
    There are several posters over at OS who are disapointed because they feel this point system takes some of the mystery and excitement out of the recruitng process (" I hope its not like, oh I have 500 points and the other team has 499 points so I automatically win.").

I would be interested to know the CD guys thoughts on this.
    That's a good question. I'm not sure there's a clear-cut answer.

While some of the mystery is gone, there needed to be an improved way of telling how far behind you are in recruiting. Right now, it was tough to tell how far behind you were according to the meters except by the colors - but then you could only get a general feel of where you stood.

With the new system, I think there's still a lot of mystery in knowing how far behind you can be yet still work and land a recruit. It will now be tougher considering you can't talk to one recruit for hours on end each week. It'll be interesting to see who can land a coveted recruit when trailing by hundreds of points mid-season.

JB and G were also correct in that you have to remember that the CPU will be recruiting players each week as well, so even if you trail by 499 and get 500 points, you could still go into next week down 499 (or more or less).

At first I wasn't sure I liked the points showing, but it grew on me during the event. Who knows how that plays out for an entire Dynasty Mode though. If the CPU recruiting is aggressive and coherent in its attack, I don't think it will be a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    If the CPU recruiting is aggressive and coherent in its attack, I don't think it will be a huge issue.
    I think for me, that's the only thing left that I would really like to see improved in recruiting. If the CPU can recruit at least semi-realistically & make it tougher for me to land a class full of 4 & 5 star guys that's enough. I'm interested to see how all this plays out. The more I think about this blog, the more sense it makes to me. Sounds like it should work out nicely.

CDJ you wanna throw your hat into the JB style tease business & give us something to pick apart for these other 2 dynasty blogs to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    CDJ you wanna throw your hat into the JB style tease business & give us something to pick apart for these other 2 dynasty blogs to come?
    Ha, no. I want you guys to be caught off-guard for each and every announcement.

I think that's a tease right there

I posted this thought on the recruiting on Utopia moments ago:
    They didn't expand so I doubt that any promises were added, but I wonder what it would be like to have some promises be for the CURRENT season, while your recruiting them. Or at least tie it into the promise for next season. For example I promise a kid in week 5 that we are going to win X-amount of games this year, and we're building, and by his JR year we'll be at least top #15 and win a conference title. Something to that effect.

And separately on the PLUS side of that CDJ (non) tease, I think that means the other 2 won't be about recruiting.

I'm excited about the changes and hopefully we'll get a video soon

LOL i guess that only works on JB

CDJ is classy, and doesnt tease easily... on the other hand JB is a tease like the ones that your parent warn you about in high school...

=)

"E"
    Last edited by xGRIDIRONxGURUx; 05-19-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOLxCOACH View Post
    CDJ is classy, and doesnt tease easily... on the other hand JB is a tease like the ones that your parent warn you about in high school...

=)

"E"
    I feel somewhat honored being called that LOL