Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 11 - Dynasty Blog 1 of 3: Phone Call

• Facebook
  • Display
    I really enjoyed the changes they made to recruiting this year. It definitely makes it more challenging which is a welcome change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    So if you "change the subject" does that count as one of the "pitches" you spent 10 minutes on or is it replaced with another?
    The change subject doesn't use any of your pitch time. Rather, it allows you to change the subject. What the subject changed to is random, however on occasion, you'll be able to pick the topic. So, if you have 3 really good topics you want to talk about and they don't come up in random, you have might have the chance to pick one of those topics.

It basically acts like a normal conversation with the recruit leading most of the direction of that conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    It counts as one of the 3 skips you have per phone call.
    So say I said I wanted to spend 60 minutes on a call, that gives me 6 "pitches" to go over. If I use 1 of my 3 skips on the first topic that comes up, I still have 6 topics to go over just 1 less skip topic to use?

So say I said I wanted to spend 60 minutes on a call, that gives me 6 "pitches" to go over. If I use 1 of my 3 skips on the first topic that comes up, I still have 6 topics to go over just 1 less skip topic to use?
    That's right.

There are several posters over at OS who are disapointed because they feel this point system takes some of the mystery and excitement out of the recruitng process (" I hope its not like, oh I have 500 points and the other team has 499 points so I automatically win.").

I would be interested to know the CD guys thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post
    There are several posters over at OS who are disapointed because they feel this point system takes some of the mystery and excitement out of the recruitng process (" I hope its not like, oh I have 500 points and the other team has 499 points so I automatically win.").

I would be interested to know the CD guys thoughts on this.
    Considering the fact that you don't know how well the other school has done that day, it really doesn't take much of the mystery and excitement out of it. You still had a good hold on where you were before, this just adds a number of how much you're behind the other school.

It's actually better because then you can find out better if you're wasting your time or not.

Exactly... and if I remember correctly, it's not like it's a race to the same exact amount of points with every recruit. Again, going off of memory, higher profile recruits will require more recruiting points to sign (I don't think you ever know the specific number). But like JB mentioned, you might have a call that earns you 500 points while your competition earns 200 (number random).

I may not remember the specifics correctly but I will say that I definitely enjoyed recruiting much more at CD than I have in the recent past. Granted we didn't run any competitive ODs in order to compete for recruits but it certainly felt like it would balance things much better not only for the human competitive but also give the CPU a chance to compete.

love it... recruits do dictate the recruiting process in real life, and should in the game... coaches are there to convince them of things, but the recruit is the one that leaves the coach hanging more times than not... i would even like to see next year where the recruits just schedule their own visits based on rivalry, and their rank etc... would be great to see that since that is the process anyways...

absolutely love the numbers/points as a total... like i said on utopia, good to have a tangible goal, and not just some "mystery" of a slider as referred to before, but in staying with my previous statements above, the more realistic is the "mystery meter" b/c i just dont see Chris Peterson ending a phone call saying "if you were to give me points, and give Texas points, how many would i be trailing by?" lol... but hey... glad we have them for this year at least...

cant wait to fight for a guy in OD with this new setup... especially with the new compare instead of the retarded downplay that doesnt even really work...

::EDIT::

REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they announce that they are taking away hard commit... b/c so many kids bounce around and even SHOCK certain schools on signing day and at the Army game... it just seems dumb that if were trailing by only 5 points in week 1 and a 5* hard commits to a rival school in conference that we dont have any sway over their choice even if we beat that rival... would love to see the de-commit come into play... that will REALLY piss some people off... seems like it would be easy to do, since point totals are based off prestige/stars, performance etc from what (i think i understood) i read in that blog... so say Tennessee locks in a nice RB week 2 and he is 5* and i was only behind them by 25 points, in NCAA 10 im out of luck, would be nice that if i make the right promises, and beat Tennessee as say UGA, that recruit would be impressed enough to sway over to the dark side...??? would love to see this, i think it would really fire up OD rivalries BIG BIG BIG TIME... then the games mean so much more in terms of that season, and future...

/end of EDIT

"E"
    Last edited by xGRIDIRONxGURUx; 05-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Agreed that de-commits would be more realistic to college football. My concern is that there's no real easy way to implement that. If pulling a recruit away from another school after a commit were too easy, it'd defeat the purpose of recruiting. On the flip side, if it's too hard, there won't be enough de-commits for it to be "realistic".

So, I think there's a balance there, but everyone has a different scale that they'd want. If I worked really hard for a recruit, got him to commit, just to have him change his mind at the last minute, I'd be pissed (and YES this is exactly what coaches feel like in real life). The problem is, you want it recruiting in a video game to be engaging, straightforward, and to mean something. If we take away the "hard commit" I think it creates a fog around the process being straightforward, and it may leave many people feeling that it's useless.

But I definitely understand where you're coming from Pistol and it was a good post. Those are just my two cents

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer and all, because the info seems pretty good on recruiting, but I'm ready for something else in Dynasty mode besides recruiting upgrades. Here's holding out hope for this year.

and Pistol I agree on the hard commit, I hope you can still pull the recruit even if he is a Hard commit.

I'm with the Baron on this subject, I understand it would be more realistic but that crosses the line for me personally with how realistic I might want it. Personally I'm fine with the current "Hard Commit/Soft Commit" system. Perhaps there could be more soft commits & for a longer period of time before they hard commit & that would help with the "realism". I just like to know that my work meant something concrete at some point.

And Coachdenz, I couldn't agree more on the other dynasty updates. Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Spring Ball/ Offseason Training where I can have an impact on the development of my team.

From the looks of it, those stupid faces are gone. I think the interface looks better and hopefully the process of recruiting is too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachdenz View Post
    I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer and all, because the info seems pretty good on recruiting, but I'm ready for something else in Dynasty mode besides recruiting upgrades. Here's holding out hope for this year.

and Pistol I agree on the hard commit, I hope you can still pull the recruit even if he is a Hard commit.
    Notice how this is only blog one of three? We're not even close to being done yet. There. My first tease on The Gaming Tailgate

I'm with the Baron on this subject, I understand it would be more realistic but that crosses the line for me personally with how realistic I might want it. Personally I'm fine with the current "Hard Commit/Soft Commit" system. Perhaps there could be more soft commits & for a longer period of time before they hard commit & that would help with the "realism". I just like to know that my work meant something concrete at some point.

And Coachdenz, I couldn't agree more on the other dynasty updates. Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Spring Ball/ Offseason Training where I can have an impact on the development of my team.
    Definitely longer "soft commit" periods would help with the realism and act as a medium between the extremes.

Since they labelled it "Dynasty Blog 1 of 3" I'm sure there will be more updates outside of recruiting in the coming weeks. I'm definitely hoping for gameplanning/off-season events and even maybe more in-depth coaching (may be a stretch).

For them to be confident enough to separate them into 3 blogs, the other 2 must have something good.

I just hope your teasing outside of recruiting.....8 )

Looks as if the FCS schools are still in FCS EAST 17 Air Force 35

Quote Originally Posted by Coachdenz View Post
    I just hope your teasing outside of recruiting.....8 )
    It is Dynasty Blog 1 of 3, not Recruiting Blog 1 of 3 so I think you're definitely going to get more about Dynasty than just 3 Recruiting updates.

I think this looks very good. I can already see where being given a bad set of topics can make recruiting much more difficult. Woo-hoo!

I'd love to have a coaching carousel. I think that , if we don't get it this year, we will in 12 since it was on the ballot this year.

I'd also like to know if they've done anything to clean up the Sim Engine. Having only QBs and WRs win the Heisman because of bad sim stats was a bummer last year.

Damn JB, I thought maybe new surroundings, new site, new outlook on these teases... At the least I thought it might get you off balance & get ya to slip up a little and spill something early. You've proven once again that you can drive me NUTS with these teases!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    It is Dynasty Blog 1 of 3, not Recruiting Blog 1 of 3 so I think you're definitely going to get more about Dynasty than just 3 Recruiting updates.

I think this looks very good. I can already see where being given a bad set of topics can make recruiting much more difficult. Woo-hoo!

I'd love to have a coaching carousel. I think that , if we don't get it this year, we will in 12 since it was on the ballot this year.

I'd also like to know if they've done anything to clean up the Sim Engine. Having only QBs and WRs win the Heisman because of bad sim stats was a bummer last year.
    you never know with EA. a few years ago they said revolutionary Dynasty, when they should have said Revolutionary Recruiting. I hope your right about the 1 of 3 Dynasty updates, but I'm not holding my breath for anything other than recruiting updates. Which is fine, I will still be buying the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Notice how this is only blog one of three? We're not even close to being done yet. There. My first tease on The Gaming Tailgate
    ^^^ Read this again Coachdenz. I don't think JB would say this if he knew just more recruiting changes were coming.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    ^^^ Read this again Coachdenz. I don't think JB would say this if he knew just more recruiting changes were coming.
    Yeah I know, guess I'm just trying to keep my guard up. That way anything other than recruiting will be icing on the cake!