Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2833

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    This is a trainer's card I just got in an Ultimate Team pack for FIFA

The dude abides.

Leak: Government spies snooped in 'Warcraft,' other games

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/09/tech/w...g-video-games/

not really sure what all this is about but apparently youtube changed its policy terms/conditions and guys doing video game youtube videos cannot get paid anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    not really sure what all this is about but apparently youtube changed its policy terms/conditions and guys doing video game youtube videos cannot get paid anymore?
    http://kotaku.com/youtube-channels-c...ims-1480717110

http://kotaku.com/youtube-copyright-...o-t-1481517758

http://kotaku.com/game-critic-says-y...his-1482117783

Yeah i knew it was copyright related but i don't get how these youtubers get paid. I presume its from the ads that you can skip in 5 seconds?

Yeah i knew it was copyright related but i don't get how these youtubers get paid. I presume its from the ads that you can skip in 5 seconds?
    I got hit with some of these a week or two back for songs in NBA Live. However, it looks like things have gone out of control since.

I assume the ads are what contribute to paying them, CLW, but I am not 100% on that.

Personally, I do not understand how people can get paid for gameplay videos or just voicing over gameplay. IMHO that is not original content. Though, many claims on YouTube are ridiculous, even before this. We got hit on some NCAA 'Game of the Week' preview vids we did a couple years back by (IIRC) XO Technologies, a company that AFAIK is not involved with production of the game in any manner. EA was no help in removing the claim, so we deleted the video and quit producing that feature. I can understand the frustration that exists. After all, you can't fight City Hall (or YouTube)...

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Yes. It's from the ads (that I never even see because of adblocker) but it's also from the view counts. That make a percentage off of the number of views they get (like $100 per 25,000 views or somethin' of that nature). It's why people make viral videos with ads on them. It's an instant $1,000 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Yes. It's from the ads (that I never even see because of adblocker) but it's also from the view counts. That make a percentage off of the number of views they get (like $100 per 25,000 views or somethin' of that nature). It's why people make viral videos with ads on them. It's an instant $1,000 or more.
    lol i only see them on my phone so but thats prob b/c i have ad blocker too

Year in review:

Any one ever play Power Ranger Super Legends for either PC,Ps2 or the DS? I never really played it much when it was first out back when it came out. Found it for 4 bucks on amazon and picked it up for pc. ps2 copy was still 50 bucks ouch

That makes me getting the on Hannah Montana more manly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    That makes me getting the on Hannah Montana more manly.

No, no it really doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    No, no it really doesn't

I decided to ask my wife to get me The Last of Us for my birthday present in February. It seems to be everyone's GotY so I'll have to check it out.

My take on this whole YouTube thing thus far is this.....

First things first - STOP & BREATHE (No seriously - stop, take a breath & THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO SAY)

Secondly, addressing the heart of the issue - THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT

That way is to MUTE THE MUSIC (Or turn it down so low that's in the foreground compared to your own voice)

This is what many of us sports gaming YouTubers do. This puts us in the position of acting as spectactor/announcer/coach as we add our own PERSONALITY to our videos

Now that said, I'm NOT going to sit here & pretend to know the scop of Google's actions here (I've downloaded the entire 4 part series that one group of YouTube gamers did & will sit down & watch it to have a better understanding) BUT for those who thought they could make LOADS of $$$ off someone else's work SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS IN THE BACKGROUND OF THEIR GAMEPLAY, I can't say I have much sympathy for you because (As I indicated before) there's a way around it (And I've outlined one example above)

To those who even went so far as to QUIT THEIR DAY JOBS (As was asserting in one of those videos) thinking they could make a living SIMPLY BY PLAYING GAMES ALL DAY - I have to ask WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE ON ?? Do they SERIOUSLY think they're EVER gonna make BOATLOADS of $$$ just by playing video games & uploading videos of that game play to places like YouTuibe for monetization ?? WHO ARE THEY KIDDING (Aside from themselves) ??

Now I suppose I'll have a slightly different take after watching the aforementioned 4 part series but if what I already know is all there is, I seriously doubt nearly 7 hours of video (The total amount of time devoted to the series) will change it

Either way, I'm either WAY WAY off & there really is a problem OR I'm right on target & all this is just much a do about nothing at all. From what I'm gathering from people here, there's no in-between

JMO at least for now.....

Cheers & Happy Gaming

BP

Wait.

What?

Ahh nevermind I figured out what was going on I didn't read the entire thread (or at least the last month or so worth)

Glad not many folks are on after about 9:00...lol
    Last edited by oweb26; 01-10-2014 at 12:45 AM.

With the return of R.B.I. Baseball, I was reading up on Tengen. Pretty interesting story about those weird looking carts (from Wiki):

Tengen unsuccessfully tried to negotiate with Nintendo for a less restrictive license (Nintendo restricted their licensees to releasing only five games per year, and required their games to be NES-exclusive for two years). Nintendo refused, so in December 1987 Tengen agreed to the standard licensing terms. In 1988, Tengen released its first and only three cartridges licensed through Nintendo—RBI Baseball, Pac-Man and Gauntlet. Meanwhile, Tengen secretly worked to bypass Nintendo's lock-out chip called 10NES that gave it control over which games were published for the NES. While numerous manufacturers managed to override this chip by zapping it with a voltage spike, Tengen engineers feared this could potentially damage NES consoles and expose them to unnecessary liability.[citation needed] The other problem was that Nintendo made frequent modifications to the NES to prevent this technique from working. Instead the company chose to reverse engineer the chip and decipher the code required to unlock it. However, the engineers were unable to do so, and the launch date for its first batch of games was rapidly approaching.

With time running short, Tengen turned to the United States Copyright Office. Its lawyers contacted the government office to request a copy of the Nintendo lock-out program, claiming that the company needed it for potential litigation against Nintendo. Once obtained, it used the program to create its own chip that would unlock the NES. When Tengen launched the unlicensed versions of its games, Nintendo immediately sued Tengen for copyright and patent infringement. In the initial phases of trial, the court sided with Nintendo, but the sides settled before the matter was fully resolved.

Tengen faced another court challenge with Nintendo in 1989 in copyright controversy over Tetris. Tengen lost this suit as well and was forced to recall what was estimated to be hundreds of thousands of unsold cartridges (having sold only about 50,000).[1]
    The dude abides.

Ubisoft is bringing Tetris to the PS4 & XB1

The dude abides.