Page 41 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Look at the game rental business with services like GameFly and sites that organize game trades between consenting players. What about those guys? It all funnels into a core concept that used games are ingrained in the entire video game marketplace and ecosystem.

And what about the social ramifications of eliminating used games? Does this mean kids won't be able to go to a friend's house and show them the great new Portal game they just bought? That was half my childhood, for crying out loud. But in this brave new world, that act may be considered trying to play a used game.
    See this section of that article still leads me to believe that the used game lock is just a rumor. People will be more reliant on reviews more than ever because they're not going to spend $60 (or the rumored $70) for a 4th gen game that will suck.

Like this article said, used games are ingrained in the video game ecosystem. Taking that out will cause a catastrophe IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    See this section of that article still leads me to believe that the used game lock is just a rumor. People will be more reliant on reviews more than ever because they're not going to spend $60 (or the rumored $70) for a 4th gen game that will suck.

Like this article said, used games are ingrained in the video game ecosystem. Taking that out will cause a catastrophe IMO.
    Agreed, and what does Sony and MS care if you can play used games. Unless they get some type of kickback from Game Developers. They just want people to buy the systems and the more games you can play for the least amount of money will make you more willing to buy the system.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Agreed, and what does Sony and MS care if you can play used games. Unless they get some type of kickback from Game Developers. They just want people to buy the systems and the more games you can play for the least amount of money will make you more willing to buy the system.
    I think this is wishful thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

VG247 has learned that Microsoft has now detailed Xbox 720 to certain partners and has internally confirmed the machine for a Christmas 2013 release.

The next generation Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive, contrary to a recent report.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

We’re waiting for final confirmation of specs, but the graphics cards are thought to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series GPUs, but “not CrossFire or SLI”. The GPUs aren’t structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.

It was reported last week that PlayStation 4, internally codenamed Orbis, will also be powered by AMD hardware.

There will be “four or six” cores to the Xbox 720 CPU, one of which will be reserved for Kinect and one for the OS.

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We’ve also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard.

The details have emerged in the wake of a hastily removed tweet from Sean Tracy, a technical designer for Crytek, that said he was attending the “Durango summit” in London at the end of February. Durango is though to be the codename for the console.

Microsoft is not expected to announce anything pertaining to its next machine until next year.

Many developers have been posting job openings for “next-gen” and “future-gen” systems for months.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/02/xbox...tcon-required/

That'll weed out some of the game market, with the alway-on internet connection required.

always on? meaning always connected to your modem?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    always on? meaning always connected to your modem?
    Yeah... likely means if you're not connected to the internet, you can't play. I doubt it happens, especially all the people that complain about ubisoft doing that on pc games. There were times they had issues with their server so you couldn't play. Imagine psn going down for 2 months and you can't play at all.

shouldnt be a problem for me then......but thank god for finally including a blue-ray player. now neither system will be held back by disk space.

Amen. If MS didn't go with blu-rays for their discs, they'd be fucking stupid.

the one bad thing about the blu ray player being in, is that it'll mean no backwards compatability for 360 games. however, wouldnt it also squash the rumor of the next gen systems going discless?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    the one bad thing about the blu ray player being in, is that it'll mean no backwards compatability for 360 games. however, wouldnt it also squash the rumor of the next gen systems going discless?
    That's not true. Blu-ray drives can still read DVDs. The only reason the PS3 wasn't PS2 compatible is because of different hardware... the PS2 had a specific chip in order to render games that the later PS3s removed to save costs.

oh, well then thats good news.

I live in Mississippi and there are A LOT! of place with no high speed internet options still except for satellite (SUCKS) and the little Mi-Fi's from phone companies. They're going to be killing gamers in rural areas... this sounds like total BS or one of the dumbest things ever.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Agreed, and what does Sony and MS care if you can play used games. Unless they get some type of kickback from Game Developers.
    First, consider that Sony and MS both have plenty of first-party studios. So they care about the used game market for practically the same reason EA or Activision/Blizzard does. Second, they do get a kickback, of sorts. Every new game sold at retail (or at least new copy purchased by the retail store from the distribution source, not sure exactly when the money changes hands) includes a 16% cut (as of 2004, when games were "only" $49) that went to the console manufacturer.

Sony and M$ have plenty of financial incentive to curb the used games market. The question is whether the financial implications of killing used games (i.e. the possibility that Gamestop would go under, lost potential game sales, the rental market being harpooned) is enough to counter the financial advantages to killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
    They're going to be killing gamers in rural areas... this sounds like total BS or one of the dumbest things ever.
    Sadly, probably neither. Major companies seem to forget about rural areas.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 04-04-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Got I Am Alive on PS3. Played a little bit last night. It's a pretty cool game so far.

I have a couple of Ghost Recon beta codes first three IM gets them if you want them. It's for the 360 and the beta went live today. Will send them out when I get home in a couple of hours.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition for the 360 is one of the best games I've ever played on the 360. I'm almost exclusively an NCAA football player and play some racing and have played lots of others from different genres but this game is something different, something better.

The characters, the story, everything...excellent. If you like Fallout, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur or any other RPG type games you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not buy this game and play it through at the very least twice.

May well not be the game for you or even the type of game you like but for me it's a TOP 3 at least and maybe #1.

I picked up the Dark Edition on Tuesday when it came out but I haven't played it yet. I'm trying to knock some other games out of the way first, but I can't wait to start it.

I downloaded the Ghost Recon beta and gave it about 3 hours worth of play. It's extremely smooth online so that's obviously a very good thing. There is, however, an absolute ton of unbalanced game play features. For example, don't even bother firing without holding L2/LT to aim...you wont even graze anything with hip fire which is really disappointing. There's powerups where the opposing team can see you through walls. The shotgun has an unbelievably long range. There's other things, but nothing that can't be fixed. It is fun, so it looks like I'm keeping my preorder.

Also, dedicated spawn points! Woo!

Anyone got a code or do I gotta buy psn plus lol.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    I have a couple of Ghost Recon beta codes first three IM gets them if you want them. It's for the 360 and the beta went live today. Will send them out when I get home in a couple of hours.
    Same here. I have 3 beta codes if anyone wants them. I haven't downloaded the beta yet, but will be later tonight.