Page 136 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 2833

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I have heard that it's nicknamed "peasant simulator" as a lot of what you do is day-to-day stuff.
    I can't say from first hand experience, again, since I've only played the very beginning. I haven't had the chance to get back online and delve deeper into the game due to trying to keep up with Olympic recordings on my DVR pretty much every day for the past two weeks.

It probably does have some truth to that nickname, as you are the son of a blacksmith in 1403 Bohemia. The description from Wikipedia:

The story takes place as war wracks Bohemia in 1403. On the orders of Hungarian king*Sigismund,*Cuman*mercenaries raid the mining village of*Skalitz, a major source of silver. One of the survivors of that massacre is Henry, the son of a blacksmith. Destitute and vengeful, Henry joins the service of Lord Radzig Kobyla, who leads a resistance movement against Sigismund's invasion. As Henry pursues justice for his murdered family, he becomes involved in an effort to restore Bohemia's rightful king and Sigismund's half-brother,*Wenceslaus IV, to the throne.

The game features branching quest lines and an*open world*environment which encourages emergent gameplay, and includes early*15th century*period-accurate weapons, clothing, combat techniques, and architecture recreated with the assistance of architects and historians.
    So you're not some great knight or sword fighter at the start of the game, rather you have to practice your sword skills and level up and rank up your skills to improve as a warrior (or bard or thief, etc). Same with taking care of your weapons. You can either pay blacksmiths for weapon maintenance and to sharpen your swords and axes, or you can sharpen your own weapons to increase your skills in weapon and armor maintenance.

From what I've read, the skill system is very similar to Skyrim. So expect to do a a lot of practice, fighting or hacking your sword at dummies to improve your sword fighting skills, and similar actions for similar skills.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I can't say from first hand experience, again, since I've only played the very beginning. I haven't had the chance to get back online and delve deeper into the game due to trying to keep up with Olympic recordings on my DVR pretty much every day for the past two weeks.

It probably does have some truth to that nickname, as you are the son of a blacksmith in 1403 Bohemia. The description from Wikipedia:

So you're not some great knight or sword fighter at the start of the game, rather you have to practice your sword skills and level up and rank up your skills to improve as a warrior (or bard or thief, etc). Same with taking care of your weapons. You can either pay blacksmiths for weapon maintenance and to sharpen your swords and axes, or you can sharpen your own weapons to increase your skills in weapon and armor maintenance.

From what I've read, the skill system is very similar to Skyrim. So expect to do a a lot of practice, fighting or hacking your sword at dummies to improve your sword fighting skills, and similar actions for similar skills.

Alright. I'm intrigued and I had some birthday money which I turned into a xbox giftcard. I'll try this badboy tonight after the kids are sleeping.

Alright. I'm intrigued and I had some birthday money which I turned into a xbox giftcard. I'll try this badboy tonight after the kids are sleeping.
    Yeah, I mean I've enjoyed the very brief introduction I had with it earlier this week. It'll probably seem a little funky playing at first, due to being a crowd funded project vs a Triple A game, and being in first person view instead of third person, it takes some getting used to the controls. But I enjoyed what I did play so far and I'm pretty confident I'm going to enjoy the game as a whole, especially since it's a medieval setting. I'm viewing it almost like a first person peon/peasant in Crusader Kings II type role play, where you're going to be riding horses, fighting with swords and axes, wearing chain mail, armor suits, etc.

Yeah, I mean I've enjoyed the very brief introduction I had with it earlier this week. It'll probably seem a little funky playing at first, due to being a crowd funded project vs a Triple A game, and being in first person view instead of third person, it takes some getting used to the controls. But I enjoyed what I did play so far and I'm pretty confident I'm going to enjoy the game as a whole, especially since it's a medieval setting. I'm viewing it almost like a first person peon/peasant in Crusader Kings II type role play, where you're going to be riding horses, fighting with swords and axes, wearing chain mail, armor suits, etc.
    I'm not sure if I will be a good guy or a jerk. Good Samaritan or sleezy pickpocket? So many options. lol. The one thing I have heard over and over is... RUN AWAY! At least early on your fighting skills are terrible.

I'm not sure if I will be a good guy or a jerk. Good Samaritan or sleezy pickpocket? So many options. lol. The one thing I have heard over and over is... RUN AWAY! At least early on your fighting skills are terrible.
    Yes! Your skills are terrible at the beginning. I highly suggest, when you first get to the point where you can train and learn sword fighting, train and practice as much and long as you can possibly stand to do so.

And yes, there are so many options to play. Play good, play evil, it's entirely up to you!

I also love how your actions can affect quests. Someone made a post elsewhere online, they had been thieving and got caught by a guard. So they proceeded to kill the guard. A little later, during a quest, they were supposed to run into that guard in a tavern and intervene in some sort of altercation or something. Instead, the guard wasn't there, and the NPCs in the quest shrug off his absence and assume vocally out loud that he has wandered off somewhere else at the moment. That is something awesome that many games fail to pull off. That I can kill a random guard during a random moment in the game, and have his absence (due to my murdering him) remarked upon by other NPCs later on in the game. The game can/will auto-correct it's quest lines to compensate for your actions.

Holy crap! Lock picking is one of the toughest things I have done in a game. This Kingdom Deliverance lock picking is disgusting. Maybe it's that I am left handed but damn it's hard.

Holy crap! Lock picking is one of the toughest things I have done in a game. This Kingdom Deliverance lock picking is disgusting. Maybe it's that I am left handed but damn it's hard.
    Oh yeah! I forgot to warn you about that. Lockpicking on the consoles is extremely difficult, a lot more difficult than it is on PC. They're supposed to be making lockpicking easier in the next patch, though I don't recall seeing a specific date when that would be dropping.

Probably makes Elder Scrolls look like child's play when it comes to lockpicking from the sounds of it. I wanna play this game eventually.
    The dude abides.

I’m JUST learning that this is a thing. I’m SO in.
    https://youtu.be/TGfk_gWIzF0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All this wait and we have two tennis games hitting this month. Just bought AO Tennis as it appears to be improved since launch and plan on the getting the other at the end of the month. Neither really looks great so far but right now beggars can't be choosers. I do like that AO Tennis allows to create and share players. So filling out a pro roster should be easy since it has been out for 5 months in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    All this wait and we have two tennis games hitting this month. Just bought AO Tennis as it appears to be improved since launch and plan on the getting the other at the end of the month. Neither really looks great so far but right now beggars can't be choosers. I do like that AO Tennis allows to create and share players. So filling out a pro roster should be easy since it has been out for 5 months in Australia.
    I saw the new releases and figured you'd be happy might get one if it goes on sale.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I saw the new releases and figured you'd be happy might get one if it goes on sale.
    Happy if the next one is good. AO Tennis is an abomination.

This was my review over on the Publishers forum and I rarely ever write reviews but this one was just so bad.

https://forum.bigant.com/showthread.php?tid=6250

Normally I complain about Microsoft and the numerous controllers they seem to pump out, instead of exclusive games but this one is a bit different. Especially for someone like me who is disabled and progressively losing the function of my right hand (primary).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ssible-gaming/

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...ive-controller

Last edited by bdoughty; 05-17-2018 at 07:00 AM.

This is great...
    The dude abides.

Two tennis games come out in the same month and it is possible that Tennis World Tour is even worse than AO Tennis. I might have the better of the two games. TWT was released in the US today with no online play. Something that would be arriving at a later date but just now on the day of the release mention it. Looks and sounds terrible. Just a bunch of one liners from McEnroe almost zero crowd noise. Gameplay looks nothing like Top Spin 4 which was their claim to fame, making the next Top Spin as they were some of the former devs on that series. Thankfully I was not tempted to waste $59.99 on this one.

Once again the upcoming Mario Tennis game will be the best of the bunch.

Random Video Game Talk

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Once again the upcoming Mario Tennis game will be the best of the bunch.

Don’t you have a Switch? You should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a Switch for BOTW. Sold it after putting a couple hundred hours in the game. Never really been a Mario guy or platformer fan in general.

Well, that's depressing to hear. I was hoping TWT would finally be a tennis game worth buying.

Well, that's depressing to hear. I was hoping TWT would finally be a tennis game worth buying.

Now that golf is gone, maybe EA can pick up tennis again
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Now that golf is gone, maybe EA can pick up tennis again
    No. Grand Slam Tennis 2 was an average game at best with a career mode that could be best described as moronic. You had to play or I guess simulate the first year on easy difficulty and there was no way to switch it. Progressively got harder each year but was a major oversight.

Now 2KSports on the other hand... Top Spin 5 would be a welcome addition. We can dream.