Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4-3 Defense

• Facebook
  • Display
    Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I used to be nothing but a 4-3 person but recently changed to the 3-4 in '10 because of the ability to more easily stop the pass (since this game is so completely pass driven) and I just seem to play with teams where the 3-4 better fits my personnel.

I never have any problems with the 4-3 stopping outside runs, but with the 4-3, I rarely play cover 3 zone coverage so my corners are almost always at the line of scrimmage either in man or cover 2. I also regularly more my line toward the strong side of the formation and then my linebackers based on the play (blitzing with the ROLB or LOLB then I move them toward that side or if it's an overload then I'll overload the weak side most often while slanting the line toward the strong side or out). I also regularly move my line to the strong side of the formation (be that the unbalanced weakside or the strong side with the TE if it's just normal I-formation) and then spread my linebackers out (especially if I'm playing straight Cover 2 or to change up my blitz looks).

I'm not one to use overload blitzes as effectively as some other players, but even just the threat of bringing an overload usually causes the other team to think about it and change their play in some way (be that keeping the HB/FB/TE to block or giving himself a man beater go to route that I can then key in on) so it's a win/win for me.

Mainly my only issue with it is the inability to play good Cover 3 defense and still get good pressure and and variations of Cover 3 is what always makes it the hardest on human players to throw the ball.

Personally I have always been a 4-3 guy but the outs and slants in 10 (and Madden as well) are really tough to deal with. Now what I am doing is staying with a 4-3 but recruiting faster and smaller DE's. Pretty much every time I think there will be a pass play I put one or two of my DE's into a zone... works pretty well IF you recruit well for the scheme.

Being a 3-4 guy, and a stack user it has been difficult for me using the demo because it is all 4-3, no 3-4. I don't dislike the 4-3, just never have ran it, I did however find a nice defensive play,

4-3 smoke mid zone in the over package? anybody use it? only play I know in the 4-3 other than the cov 3 and cov 2 sets, but this smoke mid zone is good stuff!!

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfbfan1 View Post
    Being a 3-4 guy, and a stack user it has been difficult for me using the demo because it is all 4-3, no 3-4. I don't dislike the 4-3, just never have ran it, I did however find a nice defensive play,

4-3 smoke mid zone in the over package? anybody use it? only play I know in the 4-3 other than the cov 3 and cov 2 sets, but this smoke mid zone is good stuff!!
    Never used it but I'll definitely have to give it a try. I used to use nothing but the 4-3 but it's been like 2 years since the last time I've even used the 4-3 (3-4 for the most part) so I'm REALLY rusty and been struggling as well.

smoke mid zone, is that the play where 2 of LB's blitz and the other goes into a hook zone? if so, then that play is great in certain situations, TE's going on a streak kills it though...

I play alot of cover3 in the 4-3. I use the MLB to correct to hook zone flaw! I throw in some man 2, man 1, and some zone blitzes. I rarely send the house and leave my CBs alone. We can lab when 11 comes out. Locomotion is going to foce users to be more discipline.

"NO FASLE STEPS"
    -coach Willy Burks
    Last edited by starter; 06-29-2010 at 01:26 PM.