Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-3 Defense

• Facebook
  • Display

4-3 Defense

I guess I'll get this thread started. Up until about a month ago I used a 4-3 defense because I only played offline and it didn't really matter against the CPU. However, right about that time I joined a OD and my first game was against a guy that did speed option and tosses on me all game, eventually leading to my defeat. Because of this, I told myself I wouldn't be susceptible to those kind of plays again and adopted a 3-4 (I really would like to play with a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 but the screwed up man assignments piss me off). Well anyways, I was hoping to just get some insight on how/if other people run a 4-3 to gain some perspective or to find out if its a completely helpless D against other users. Any input is helpful, thanks.

I find running a 4-3 defense boring anymore. I love running the 3-4 and the variety of blitzes I can run out of it. It's more flexible, has more variety and bottom line is more fun. When I first started using it, it took me a little bit to adjust. You have to really slant and be careful how you defend against the run but once you get used to it you will love it. I would recommend using a Multiple D defense or only using the 3-4 defense against weak opponents until you adjust.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy running the 3-4 and I've had some success using it so far. I just know the 4-3 A LOT better and know how to work with it and where everyone should be, etc., was just wondering if possible at all to run 4-3 vs users

I use the 4-3. What is the issue? Stopping the run, pressure, zone defense?

well that game specifically I couldn't stop the toss plays to the outside and the unbalanced formations...

I played the 4-3 in the MWK dynasty. One thing I like to do is re-blitz both DT. For some reason this helps against the inside run allowing me focus on the outside run and pass. I use the MLB. I take a couple steps back from the ball and sprint from sideline to sideline against the outside run.
    Also, I use 4-3 under. I like to have the 3 technique to the strong side of the offense. Then I hide behind the 1 technique with the MLB. The re-blitzed 1 techniquw keeps the OL off of me and allows me to scrape and fill. This also puts the DE against the TE. If your DE has good STR, he can control the TE and set the edge.

If you have good talent, the 4-3 is pretty good. In the MWK OD, Pitt had a great D-line. I was able to get presure with the front 4 and could stop the run with the front 7. I won 2 National Championship games against users without blitzing. I think its all about influencing the blocking with the DT's and moving the MLB. I also think Str in the most important rating for D-lineman.
    Last edited by starter; 05-20-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    I like to have the 3 technique to the strong side of the offense. Then I hide behind the 1 technique with the MLB. The re-blitzed 1 techniquw keeps the OL off of me and allows me to scrape and fill. This also puts the DE against the TE. If your DE has good STR, he can control the TE and set the edge.
    Im in the dynasty now, actually my first game in there after you left was the reason I felt like I had to abandon the 4-3.

Forgive my ignorance but I dont know what the part I quoted means. Is that another way of saying Cover-3 and Cover-1? I've never played or coached football, everything I know is from watching TV, playing this game, and reading online (honestly alot from the forums here and at Utopia too)...

He's talking about where the DTs line up.
    3-tech is outside shoulder of the G. 1-tech is your anchor and lines up over the center for the most part.
    http://football.calsci.com/DefensiveLine.html

oh ok, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schauwn View Post
    (honestly alot from...Utopia too)...
    eek thats a major reason... lol

anyways... when he says 3 Technique, hes talking about DL positions... the way they are numbered for gaps and head up, this can change quite a bit from coach to coach but i teach it this way which is the "standard way"

defensive-alignment-techniques-gaps.jpg

i know the 7-6-9-----8 thing seems awkward, but its just one of those football things... this will help you know what were talking about though...

"E"

when I said Utopia, I mainly meant you...so you insulted yourself

maybe I can find someone to lab with and practice the 4-3...

For the purposes of NCAA10 the 3-technique is DT on the outside shoulder of the guard. The 1-technique is the DT line up on the outside shoulder of the center. The 1-technique basically tries to force a double team with the center and guard, and the 3-technique tries to force the double team between the other guard and tackle. That leave me (MLB) unblocked. I can run wild and free! But it's not that simple, because an incorrect "fit" leaves large holes. Filling with the correct shoulder is the key. I'm having a hard time articulating it. Perhaps others with a better vocabulary better explain.

when I said Utopia, I mainly meant you...so you insulted yourself

maybe I can find someone to lab with and practice the 4-3...
    i thought you meant in general, there really isnt much in depth about the game that hits the mark over there... there are some that can really discuss the X's & O's... but my comment doesnt count if you were talking about me lol

as for starter's post, that works well, to play the middle, i just prefer 4-2-5 for leverage... b/c i can still play it as an under/over style but dont sacrifice leverage for speed/load options, tosses etc... i dont knock the 4-3, but its just not my choice...

"E"

ive been experimenting lately with the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5 with moderate success, just dont like some of the things involved in it...

just dont like some of the things involved in it...
    can you expound? i run it a good bit and Jeff is really good at it...

"E"

Haha. Oneback is the master, I'm just lucky. Or persistent/stubborn. I actually have no clue what I'm doing half the time (look at the results of my game against Snoop for an example of that), but I guess I have picked up on some things over the last two years. I have practically been running nothing but 4-2-5 since the middle of the NCAA 09 release period.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

mainly the problem with man coverage alignment. I also don't like being able to get good 2 deep coverage, but maybe I'm just not using it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Oneback is the master
    i had a harder time with you than him... but i played a lock down D game on him, actually used my 4-2-5, and vs. you chose 3-3-5 at the last second, b/c i was worried about that gators roster and had never played you before...

"E"

mainly the problem with man coverage alignment. I also don't like being able to get good 2 deep coverage, but maybe I'm just not using it yet...
    The man coverage alignment is a problem, but you learn to deal with it. Very few times has it actually cost me anything. Plus, through practice and experience you'll begin to notice that most of the time the backside SS (the one that moves to the center of the formation) will lock onto a player closer to him, rather than the one his man-line indicated (i.e. a TE rather than the slot WR).

2 deep, I've honestly given up on. Both in the 4-2-5 and overall. Too many guys in this game can exploit that extremely well. But I'll call it now and then for a change-up.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Dang! I really need to play some games online. I don't feel I even have to use strategy against the CPU. I'd prolly get smoked if/when I play online. Reading this thread makes me realize what I'm missing.