Page 6 of 106 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Random College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    One more bullet in this dead horse:
    In the out-of-whack world of NCAA rules enforcement, an athlete cannot sell his championship ring without suffering severe consequences but can pocket travel money to a bowl game. The Buckeyes' 85 scholarship players each were allotted an NCAA-approved $1,225.30 for travel expenses to New Orleans. Secure a cheap plane ticket - and some players found fares for less than $300 - or drive down, and the unused money is yours to keep.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

The NCAA is so assbackwards it's ridiculous...

The part I can't figure out is that there's a charter plane for players, coaches, and families. Two charter planes, actually. So are some of them just ... not flying charter? I guess that makes sense, but I assumed the team flew together.

I remember hearing about that a few years back, but is that rule still in effect? I thought they had tried to rectify that issue in some regard, but I am not sure on that.

cdj, not sure what you're saying. What rule?

The travel stipend issue you mentioned in post 101.

Here's what I found:
    Most teams headed to a postseason game break for a few days, then reconvene at the bowl site for final practices and pre-game festivities. Subsequently, the NCAA offers a set dollar amount for players who travel individually, and they're allowed to pocket the difference between that number and the actual cost of the trip. This is standard procedure everywhere, including Alabama during the Tide's short trips to Louisiana for the Independence and Sugar bowls the last two seasons.
    Last year Alabama declined the travel stipend and went as a team. I'd guess that the vast majority of teams travel together as well.

This hire is off to a great start

NewsCenter 16 has confirmed that Mike Haywood, former Notre Dame player and offensive coordinator and newly-named Pittsburgh coach, has been arrested for domestic violence in South Bend.

St. Joseph County Police say Haywood was arrested around 2:30 p.m. on Friday at a home in the 50000 block of Hawthorne Meadow Drive.

He has a child with the woman living there.

Police say there was a custody issue and the woman attempted to leave.

As she left, police say a physical altercation broke out.

The woman told police Haywood grabbed her by the arm and neck and pushed her.

According to the police report, the woman had red marks on her neck, arms and back.

Mike Haywood was offensive coordinator at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis. He was also a running back for the Irish.

In his second season as coach of Miami of Ohio, Haywood led the Redhawks to a MAC Championship this fall.

Earlier this month, Haywood was named head coach of the University of Pittsburgh Panthers.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    and when Pitt takes the field, they will come out to this song:

Awesome.

So, can someone find a chart of next year's (2012) conference alignments? I need to start planning how I'm going to realign every conference (No way am I keeping TCU in the Big East! Ugh!).

Maryland has chosen UConn's Randy Edsall as head coach
    per Joe Schad

Though Edsall has said that it's not a done deal, and Connecticut is saying that they don't believe he will leave. So Edsall is being targeted, but not a deal.

I think it's asking a player or a coach before or after a game when we'll know their decision on their future is really tacky. Don't ask them when that right after a game! Let 'em celebrate for a minute. The post-game interviews after the Orange Bowl were brutal to watch. Like either Luck or Harbaugh were going to tell ESPN right after the game, "Oh, I'm leaving. Thanks for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I think it's asking a player or a coach before or after a game when we'll know their decision on their future is really tacky. Don't ask them when that right after a game! Let 'em celebrate for a minute. The post-game interviews after the Orange Bowl were brutal to watch. Like either Luck or Harbaugh were going to tell ESPN right after the game, "Oh, I'm leaving. Thanks for asking."
    It's REALLY stupid and I completely agree. Journalism now-a-days is so damn annoying.

Just saw a posting that the Rose and Orange Bowl ratings are down 18-20%

But good for ESPN LOL, but I'm sure taking it off broadcast TV hurts...plus people are growing more and more tired of the BCS.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    plus people are growing more and more tired of the BCS.
    Rose Bowl ratings were down from last year, but up from two years ago. So your conclusion doesn't really hold water.

In fact, the Rose Bowl set a record for ESPN for a non-NFL broadcast. Considering what ESPN's had on the air over the years, that's saying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Yeah, that was terrible. I wasn't shocked when the MNF crew droned on about it and when Tafoya asked, but was floored when Rece Davis asked Harbaugh on the trophy presentation stage. I thought he would know better, but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I thought he would know better, but I guess not.
    Unfortunately, I'm sure the producers were in his ear telling him to ask. I'm glad I turned it off before the presentation though, because I would have absolutely hated to see that.

Going to cable hurt the ratings. Bowl attendance has been about the same as last year. The BCS usually gets it right. At least they don't let a team with a losing record into their two team playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Going to cable hurt the ratings. Bowl attendance has been about the same as last year. The BCS usually gets it right. At least they don't let a team with a losing record into their two team playoff.
    give it time