Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Random College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Bowls are just a joke now...

I guess Beef O Brady is some restaurant chain....I don't wanna know what they serve.
    It is a sports bar/restaurant here in Florida. Not sure what other states if any it is in.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a football field.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a football field.
    Ooops...no coffee yet....was thinking it was just a random college thread

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman.
    If this one wasn't in DC, I might boycott it just because. Darn Northrop.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

SI has a 16-team custom playoff simulator on their site, if you're looking to kill time. I've spent about an hour on it myself:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...010/?eref=sihp

I don't really want to get into a big playoff argument here, but I'm of the mindset of the top 8 BCS schools into a playoff. Don't mess with every conference champion (FIU doesn't deserve to play against Auburn in a playoff), and 16 makes the regular season mean less IMO. Just use the top 8 teams, all other teams go into the old bowl system. Use 7 big bowl locations for the playoffs with the championship location rotating.

One thought I had is that if you wanted to give conference champions an automatic berth, you could just give the top X champions an automatic berth. Using this year for example, it'd be much nicer if the top 6 conference champions (i.e including TCU, but not including the Big East champion) had an automatic BCS berth, rather than the Big Six getting auto berths.

Serious question... do other schools have to contend with the soft-hearted "friends of the coach" "fans" that are more concerned with a coach staying because "he's good for the kids"?

Here was a letter to the editor recently in the local paper
    Lee should be out

I was sad to hear that Coach Roberts was forced to resign as our coach [at Arkansas State University]. He is a victim of the obsession to win at all costs, I believe.

We have experienced quite a lot of good football in the last few years with his leadership. The young men in the program have been well behaved for the most part. When problems did occur, Coach Roberts handled them very well and professionally. Winning off the field is what is most important not being a top 25 school every year.

I think Dean Lee needs to be forced to resign. He has time and again been a negative force at ASU. He needs to understand that he has failed to be a positive athletic director, doesn’t seem to understand he is the problem, not Coach Roberts.

Coach Roberts is a good man and coach. I am sorry that he has been fired. Thanks, Coach, for being here the last 10 years.

Wins and losses are just stats. Life lived rightly is what is important. I believe that has been Coach Roberts’ legacy.
    Sadly, when we fired Dickey Nutt (our basketball coach), we had these same morons talking about how good he was for the kids. If that's the case, hire him to be a youth minister for a church... pay him a coach's salary if you like. So irritating.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    WVU is going through that right now with Bill Stewart and it's fuckin' disgusting and pisses me off to no end. I don't give a rat's ass if he's changing their lives forever, he's not fuckin' there for that. He's there to win games and continue to elevate the program!

That reminds me of the defense of a poor coach/assistant "Who else would we get?" "Who could do a better job?" "We'll struggle for 3 years while the new coach gets things up to speed." That's like saying a business shouldn't hire the employee who is stealing cash because it'll cost too much to train the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    That's like saying a business shouldn't fire the employee who is stealing cash because it'll cost too much to train the new one.
    I disagree (assuming you meant fire). The "we'll struggle" argument is more often brought up with coaches who have enjoyed some success, but not reached the level desired by the program. So that's far from someone stealing from the cookie jar ... that's more like a manager who's store is just above breaking even, but isn't as successful as "they should be".

And while every program is different, sometimes the people who say "we'll struggle for 3 years" are right. Especially when there's a major scheme change.

I see your point JHC, but when people act as if anyone else brought in would automatically do worse and that there may not be anyone else worthy of being hired anywhere, the example begins to fit. It was just an analogy; go with the basic point, man.

Well, remember, I have limited experience with coaching changes. Practically everyone thought a lot of coaches could do better than John Cooper by his end. I wasn't around for Earle Bruce and the idiocy of his firing.

I will grant that the letter to the editor that G posted is right in one regard ... it is just as important to have a coach teach the boys and turn out good men as it is to have them turn out good victories. But one shouldn't be in detriment to the other. It's a tough balance to find, though.

That's true - locally, idiotic fans really started emerging out of the woodwork once Osborne retired - coinciding with the rise of internet message boards.

I agree that coaches should be important in maturing and developing the boys into men, but that 'should' be a requirement, no matter the record.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    So who's excited for the Beef O Brady Bowl?
    *cough**cough*

I am. 1) It's not the New Orleans Bowl AGAIN (and after last year's game, THANK GOD) AND 2) the one time Southern Miss didn't go to a bowl game in the last 13 or so years happened to be MY senior year as a student trainer. Our kicker missed 2 field goals versus TCU, giving them the victory which in turn increased Nebraska's strength of schedule, putting them in the national championship game versus Miami. I'm still upset that I never got to go to a bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Dickey Nutt

Randy Shannon had the 3rd highest graduation rate of any division I school I think. He also turned around the thug image at Miami and had the program running clean and smart. But nobody cared and he was fired after going 26-22. If you win, you can have the biggest amount of idiots and criminals on your team and nobody cares (see Florida). But if you lose then those secondary things will be brought up against you.

Temple (8-4) beat UConn (8-4) 30-16... UConn going to BS BCS bowl, Temple passed over for bowl bid...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Randy Shannon had the 3rd highest graduation rate of any division I school I think.
    Well, some schools are nuts.

Heisman Trio Photobomb (lsufreek)