Page 11 of 106 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Random College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I'm like Steelerfan, I'll get used to it rather quickly.

From CBS Sports:

Report: Villanova close to joining the Big East for football - http://bit.ly/NOVABe

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    From CBS Sports:

Report: Villanova close to joining the Big East for football - http://bit.ly/NOVABe
    Sounds promising.

What did Tressel know and when did he know it?

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was informed that several Buckeyes players were selling memorabilia more than eight months before the school claims it was made aware of the scheme, a two-month Yahoo! Sports investigation has found.

Tressel received information that players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010, according to a source. However, neither Ohio State nor the NCAA investigated the transactions or the players’ relationship with Rife until December 2010, when the school claims it was informed of the situation by the local United States Attorney’s office.

Ohio State director of compliance Doug Archie declined immediate comment when reached Monday by Yahoo! Sports. Tressel and athletic director Gene Smith were unavailable for comment. The NCAA declined comment.

I just read that. Tressel should be suspended for a year, OSU should vacate their wins from '10, the players involved should be suspended for a year, and OSU should lose scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I just read that. Tressel should be suspended for a year, OSU should vacate their wins from '10, the players involved should be suspended for a year, and OSU should lose scholarships.
    I agree THAT THERE SHOULD BE CONSEQUENCES but I somehow suspect that the NCAA would not go after one of their premier programmes like that.

Why though, that is the question. If he knew of anything, something, in April yet didn't report it that means he was trying to hide it. This is a direct violation in my opinion of what the NCAA wants. They want the Universities to look into this stuff on their own before it gets blown up, that didn't happen here in this situation.

Sorry Jeff, I'm not liking this one bit.

EDIT: When I originally posted, I hadn't caught up on today's news -- only saw the initial stories this morning on the Dispatch and Yahoo.

We now resume our regularly scheduled post ...FFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ...
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 03-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Tressel suspended 2 games per ESPN. BS!

Tressel suspended 2 games per ESPN. BS!
    That was OSU's recommendation -- doesn't mean the NCAA will agree to it.

I would not at all be surprised by forfeiture of all of the 2010 results and/or Tressel being suspended for the entire season.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 03-08-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

I would not at all be surprised by forfeiture of all of the 2010 results and/or Tressel being suspended for the entire season.
    Gotcha. All I had was a text saying he was suspended for 2 games.

Gotcha. All I had was a text saying he was suspended for 2 games.
    I didn't like the interview one bit. I just would have liked to hear him take more responsiblity and man up for what he did and fully admit he was 100% in the wrong and let his school down.

I agree Jeff, this is exactly what I'm thinking the NCAA hands out.

Consider Mel Kiper waaay off of the Cam Newton bandwagon. LOL!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-akili-smith/

300+ 'minor' recruiting violations, many of which are repeated versions of each other such as 'Oh, Mr. NFL Former Alum just soooo happens to be in this same hallway we're walking down, let's say hi', over the past decade should give a hint as to what OSU thinks they can get away with......and have since the NCAA has been a joke in tapping the shoulder of its' bigger money-makers. Only recently has that seemed to shift a bit (USC for example.....)....

Those falling for the saint show........really? Why did you think Tress and OSU were clean, given Tress' past and all the smoke around OSU in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Those falling for the saint show........really? Why did you think Tress and OSU were clean, given Tress' past and all the smoke around OSU in the past?
    Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin? Surely that was directed at someone and not just a shot against your rival, right?

Did I think the program was 100% totally clean? (like I'm sure so many programs are, right?) No, not at all. Did I think Tressel was smarter than this? Absolutely. Did I think he was better than this? Absolutely. Do I think the self-discipline is an absolute sham? Absolutely.

Jim O'Brien was fired for, in my opinion, a more humane and reasonable transgression. Two games is a joke.

Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin? Surely that was directed at someone and not just a shot against your rival, right?

Did I think the program was 100% totally clean? (like I'm sure so many programs are, right?) No, not at all. Did I think Tressel was smarter than this? Absolutely. Did I think he was better than this? Absolutely. Do I think the self-discipline is an absolute sham? Absolutely.

Jim O'Brien was fired for, in my opinion, a more humane and reasonable transgression. Two games is a joke.
    I could not have said it better myself.

Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin?
    I thought the same thing when I saw Austin's post this afternoon but was too busy to say so. No one here has said anything of the sort.

Nobody here. Didn't imply anything near that, but rather the general media that talk him up during games and the fluff pieces that newspapers used to put out on him. It was a post about GENERAL DISCUSSION, i.e. soapbox permitted, not to pick fights with anyone here because haven't seen unreasonable homerism around here from any school's fan.

I agree with the rest of your post by the way, except for this part:
    Did I think he was better than this? Absolutely.
    I thought this particular case fits what I thought of him previously considering his standard answer in the past decade whenever something came up was something along the lines of, "This is the first I've heard of it....."

It was a post about GENERAL DISCUSSION, i.e. soapbox permitted, not to pick fights with anyone here because haven't seen unreasonable homerism around here from any school's fan.
    I figured, which is why I threw in the , hoping you'd know that it was mostly in jest.

I thought this particular case fits what I thought of him previously considering his standard answer in the past decade whenever something came up was something along the lines of, "This is the first I've heard of it....."
    True, but in most cases I've been able to at least give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe it is the first he's heard of it. He definitely has an image that he has tried to cultivate, and defaults to "No comment" as much as possible.

If nothing else, I expected better typing/e-mailing ability than some of the examples I've seen since this story broke