Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Random College Football Discussion Thread

MSU opens the 2012 season against Boise State in Spartan Stadium on Fri., Aug. 31 as part of a 3-game series: http://tinyurl.com/26tlkmy

Duke suspends tailgating due to Boston College teen found passed out in a port-a-potty LOL

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...us-last-week/1

Rumors going around that Cam Newton will be suspended. Vegas has stopped taking bets on UGA/Auburn.

This whole Cam Newton thing is ridiculous.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I can't help but find it hilarious. I hope more and more of this shit gets out cause we all know it's happening, they just never talk about it.

The NCAA needs to stop acting like these kids aren't semi-pro already and just stop with this whole not getting paid thing and just turn football and basketball into minor league stuff like baseball and be done with it already.

I'm not sure what to think on this whole mess.

In the past, it seems that usually where there is smoke, there is fire. However, are there people and websites who will lie and defame people for their own benefit? You bet and I could probably name one or two, if forced.

The nature of the story seems like it has legs, but the timing makes it seem bogus. ESPN's "coverage" has been tabloid-esque at best and makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    In the past, it seems that usually where there is smoke, there is fire.
    Whenever I read this, I think of the quote about John Calipari last year. "With Calipari, there's so much smoke, you can't see the fire".
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

ESPN's "coverage" has been tabloid-esque at best and makes it worse.
    Just to reinforce this ... ESPN's scroll across the bottom just announced in "Breaking News" that Cam Newton will start versus Georgia.

Seriously ... that hasn't been in jeopardy all day. Newton's not allowed to even get on the team bus last night if he's not eligible. So everybody knew he was taking the field today.

Which sucks for all the other sports teams' athletes who wouldn't get any cheese.

Better yet, just hammer the entire SEC.....the worst about cheating of any conf out there.

And things are getting even worse for Cam Newton ...

From Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...rnnerves111110
    Rogers, in his lengthy radio interview that featured his attorney on the line, said Cecil Newton had told him that there was a price tag on signing Cam out of Blinn (Texas) Junior College – “between $100,000 and $180,000.”

More importantly, Rogers described a meeting between himself, Cecil Newton and two Mississippi State coaches his lawyer didn’t allow to be named.

“What I can say on Nov. 27, (2009), me, Mr. (Cecil) Newton and two (Mississippi State) coaches were sitting at the Hilton Garden Inn in Starkville,” said Rogers, who runs a recruiting service out of Atlanta. “And I can’t really can’t (sic) remember how Mr. Newton stated this, but however he said it, one of the coaches was like, ‘No, no, I don’t want to hear that. No, no, don’t hear that’ as if money was brought up or it was going to take money to get him.”

And from the USA Today: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ssippi-state/1
    Cecil Newton Sr., the father of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, has admitted to seeking money from a former Mississippi State player in exchange for his son signing with the school, according to a TV station in Atlanta.

A person told a reporter at WSB-TV that Newton Sr. said he received no money and the conversations did not involve Mississippi State officials. Newton Sr. also stressed that Cam Newton or his mother was unaware of the discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    And from the USA Today: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ssippi-state/1
    Cecil Newton Sr., the father of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, has admitted to seeking money from a former Mississippi State player in exchange for his son signing with the school, according to a TV station in Atlanta.

A person told a reporter at WSB-TV that Newton Sr. said he received no money and the conversations did not involve Mississippi State officials. Newton Sr. also stressed that Cam Newton or his mother was unaware of the discussions.
    From what I understand of the rules, this means Cam is done. I don't know how you prove he didn't know what was going on and I believe that any family member/rep who discusses money with a program automatically causes said player to be ineligible. If Cam had no clue, this is a really, really sad story should he get ruled ineligible.

There was a lot of smoke and the fire is starting to build. It went from 'Rogers acted alone' to 'I (Cecil) acted alone.'

From what I understand of the rules, this means Cam is done. I don't know how you prove he didn't know what was going on and I believe that any family member/rep who discusses money with a program automatically causes said player to be ineligible. If Cam had no clue, this is a really, really sad story should he get ruled ineligible.
    Actually, if it can be proven that Cam had no knowledge of the solicitation, and Auburn had no part in the solicitation (remember, this has allegedly all happened at Mississippi State), then Cam's in the clear ... or at least he could be. The rule is that there can be no solicitation on the behalf of the player. But if the player knew nothing, it can't have been on their behalf.

So there's still some wiggle room here.

What's really bad is that Cecil is a pastor of a church. He's supposed to represent ethics and morals, not break them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    What's really bad is that Cecil is a pastor of a church. He's supposed to represent ethics and morals, not break them.
    I take it, based on that comment, that you didn't watch the ESPN 30 for 30 last week about Marcus Dupree.

He had a preacher friend too. And that guy fucked him over for his own benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I take it, based on that comment, that you didn't watch the ESPN 30 for 30 last week about Marcus Dupree.

He had a preacher friend too. And that guy fucked him over for his own benefit.
    I didn't see that but I heard it was really good. I'm going to have to try to find it on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I didn't see that but I heard it was really good. I'm going to have to try to find it on the internet.
    Yeah I heard it was good too.

Yeah I heard it was good too.
    Yep, it was. I missed the beginning, so I'd like to see it again. Pretty lousy the way his talent was mishandled.

The tough part is proving there was no knowledge (or knowledge) on Cam's part.

What was the speculation/rumor last week? Wasn't it that both Newtons were on the phone or were they considering Cecil talking as speaking for Cam as well?
    Last edited by cdj; 11-13-2010 at 01:23 PM.

What was the speculation/rumor last week? Wasn't it that both Newtons were on the phone or were they considering Cecil talking as speaking for Cam as well?
    Last week was that there was two separate phone calls. One by Cecil, one by Cam. Cecil's phone call said that there would have to be "more than a scholarship" to go to Miss State. And Cam's was from him to Miss State coaches, basically being apologetic for decommitting and going to Auburn, saying that the "money was too much". Now, it's entirely possible that had something to do with financial aid (Auburn's tuition is higher than Miss State's), but the speculation (and assumption) was that it was about pay-for-play.

Those phone calls seem to be getting ignored lately though.