Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2K20 Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display

NBA 2K20 Impressions

Full game out Friday. 44.89 GBs. Im not waiting for a deal this year. Buying digital to get the theme. The first step quickness looks to be a huge improvement over 2K19.

Incorrect info apparently on file size. It will be 73 GB and you can download it tomorrow. Unlocks Friday. Still waiting to hear about camera angles! Want to make sure that Nosebleeds and Skybox are still in the game after missing from the demo.

I bought it last night and did the pre-download. Of course the power glitched and my Pro was slow to download (much slower than my Slim for some reason) and got cut off. Should be good for tomorrow. All camera angles are in! Happy about that. On OS, 23 stated that the WNBA games are good and will be an underrated addition to the game. I guess the new guy working on player faces is doing an incredible job. Kawhi looked fantastic.

New game mode coming at the start of the season.

Played my first game this morning (6 minute quarters) with my Pistons vs the Raptors. Pistons roster not done that well. Starting lineup is wrong as D.Rose should be PG2 among other things.

Anyways I played on default All-Pro and the default settings are way better than default All-Pro 2K19. It was also easier as I beat the Raptors 67-50 and my sliders last year were boosted to my benefit. One game but it did feel easier. Some notes:
    *pre game and in-game splash graphics a bit different (player intro and when you score). I'd still like to see some of their video be in real 4K. Seeing Joe Louis arm a bit grainy on my 65" 4K TV would be nicer in real 4K!
    *game does feel a bit slow/sluggish although I had jacked up acceleration in 2K19 to 70 and I'm going to live with this and see how it goes. I do wish jogging/bringing the ball up the floor was a bit quicker without needing turbo. I've never been a turbo machine other than on fast breaks so the new stamina/turbo penalties did not impact me at all.
    *dribbling and blow byes are so much better than 2K19. Just going to delete that game. Had to make extreme slider adjustments last year to reduce stone wall defenses of the cpu, even in bad matchups. This year my guards don't always get by but their dribble moves and first steps are nice. Conversely, I was trying to dribble with Sekou and that's pretty much an automatic turnover. Last year the reach ins and steals were way over done imo but this year you will only see that against guys who shouldn't be handling it. Only 3-4 turnovers all game for each of us in my first game.
    *I love the defensive circle. I've always been a bad defensive player and this helps. I didn't go for any steals but just seeing the direction helps me. I still got blown by a little but I really like it
    *Interior shots better. Last year on default the close shots (not dunks/layups) went in too high imo. They should be closer to 60% or less and 2K20 is a lot better. Contested shots in the paint miss a lot. Saw quite a few blocks too. The post game still seemed fairly easy although I was using Blake. Kind of wish they had a separate slider for the post game vs close shots. Love seeing the contested shot percentage for EVERY shot this year.
    *Offensive rebounding. The Raptors only got 3 on me but I got 17! Dre had 15 rebounds but the game stats no longer break it out between off and defensive (was it in there last year?). He was a monster on the offensive glass and probably the biggest reason I won. Dre is the premier offensive rebounder in the NBA so I don't know if this was OP or something to watch.
    *Double teaming is overdone and dumb. Because Dre got a bunch of offensive rebounds, particularly in the first half and scored 6-8 points they started double teaming him! And that includes at the 3 point line where he isn't a threat. The logic needs to go back to 2K19 based on seeing some dumb things and reading other impressions. Dre should NEVER be double teamed on the perimeter.
    *Lastly, 2K19 had really bad tendencies at release with very little 3 point shooting and I remember jacking up cpu tendencies to 100 for 3s. Toronto shot 3/10 from downtown out of 46 shots. That's a bit low but it's one game and just something I will watch more as I play. Looks like I'm a bit under the weather today and may have to stay home from work!

Overall it's just one game but there are a lot of things better than 2K19 with double teaming the one thing that is not.
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-06-2019 at 07:10 AM.

I've played 3 more games since my initial one with the Pistons. I lost to Houston 69-47 with LAC. Not a fan of playing with the Clips actually but the main reasons were I was outrebounded offensively and I turned the ball over 11 times to their 0 (that's more like me). Then I played a WNBA game and won by 7 with Seattle over NY in a close game. I liked the step back 1 foot 3 pointers, the ball and the announcers were different but not an improvement imo. Finally I took my Pistons against the Celtics and wrecked them 56-34 as they shot only 30% from the floor.

Some further impressions:
    *I like seeing the tip in attempts and would like to see more of them.
    *I don't think offensive rebounding is over powered but you really see elite ones dominate.

*Something is off about All-Star. It's significantly easier than last year. I got the trophy for "Easy Being Green" for 10 green shots in a game and that is largely due to Free Throws. Last year I struggled on All-Star with free throws and probably shot a little under 70% as a team (not brutal but over a season it hurt). I am greening free throws now like you wouldn't believe. I do like the return of the FT% indicator based on release from 2K18. I really wish they would add user/cpu FT shooting sliders to the menu.
    *All-Star shooting percentages. I must say in all 4 games I played both me and the cpu were under 50% shooting which was nice to see. Last year could get really inflated. That said the cpu stinks at making 3s which may be a problem. Against Houston they went 4-20. NY in the WNBA game went 1-8 and the Celtics just went 0-13. My percentages seem normal (30s mostly with one game 7/14). It seems All-Star is easier this year. Gonna have to tweak sliders or maybe even start on Superstar and tweak since the under the hood stuff (like FT shooting perhaps) is different. Overall I tend to turn the ball over a bit too much on All-Star but the cpu isn't shooting well enough from mid-range and particularly 3s.

*Points in the paint and shooting in the paint does seem on the high side. There are some good blocks but outside shooting, mainly for the cpu on All-Star needs a boost.
    *Double teams haven't been brutal in my last few games but they do seem to happen too quick. Anyone makes 3 buckets and they start double teaming. Sometimes it has caused turnovers but other times they leave people wide open. It needs to be toned down and smarter.

Still really liking this game. A nice upgrade over 2K19. The PS4 Pro fan is kicking in even more than last year tho.
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-06-2019 at 10:25 AM.

On a side note, the half time show for WNBA is bare bones. No announcing crew, just silent highlights and I skipped it pretty quick. Blake Griffin has a heavier beard (true) this year.

While the WNBA has Play Now, Season mode and player specific commentary there is no MyLeague. So no draft or anything apparently.

I’m an idiot. They DO have Free Throw Difficulty for the User in sliders this year. Don’t have a cpu slider but this is great. Needs to be harder this year imo.

Played two more games and am done for a bit. Beat Mil in OT with Portland but the Bucks were constantly double teaming Dame or CJ. Fairly annoying.

Then played NO with Sac and I lost by 20. Shot like garbage and that team is garbage. You have Fox and Heild and Heild shot garbage. Joseph sucked for me and the rest of the team is crap. I need to use teams I know better.

The game looks great by the way. I enjoyed watching Hardens animations. I need to see other teams more though. Bledsoe is more muscular than some skinny guys but I think it could be more exaggerated still.

The default roster depth charts aren’t good. Auto subs are decent but they still don’t give your bench enough playing time as you allocated. Starters usually end up with more no matter what. Hard to get them to do a super sub 6th man right.

With all the sliders they have in the game it is nice to see they aren’t complacent and sit on their hands. They did add user FT slider although it only moves in increments of 5. And after the complaints about illegal screens that was added as a slider under the foul section. The EA Madden team should take notes. Their sliders are pathetic.

Mike Wang said you do get a shooting boost if you turn the shot meter off to help offset.

Also the full court double team is a bug the 2K team is working on. Hopefully patched sooner than later.

I’ve always felt their was a delay at the jump ball but this year feels like the worst. I don’t know if I am supposed to wait until way after the ref releases it but it’s off imo.

I do feel the game should be a bit more explosive. I’ve got Acceleration at 60 for both and it feels better to me.
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-07-2019 at 04:41 AM.

I’ve played 10 or 11 games now on All-Star. Game is a lot of fun. Double teaming doesn’t always happen but when it does it’s overdone and annoying.

I really feel All-Star has been made easier. FT shooting definitely is. It’s a lot easier to get to the paint and I love the new quick step and dribble system. But it’s also made it a lot more of a points in the paint type of game. Especially since outside shooting seems tough. The cpu is ice cold from the outside on all star. Just messing with sliders but I don’t think there is anything we can’t fine-tune offline other than the double teams.

Game looks great and really enjoying it. Taking a star player when matches against a scrub can be a lot of fun. Was breaking some ankles with guys in good matchups.

The double team goofiness is going to be fixed and I guess doesn’t need a patch. Not sure exactly what they are changing and how but it’s supposed to get fixed in a few days.

Have to say I’m not a fan of playing with the Raptors. Losing Kawhi and Green really hurts their perimeter game. Ibaka off the bench is a luxury they need to move for shooting imo.

Anyways, had a nice acrobatic shot with Lowry. Some of the hit the floor animations seem update and cool. This game does make my Pro scream a lot. Even when just checking stats. Why? A little concerned. Way worse than 2K19.

The uniform selection screen is WAY better. Can easily cycle through options and pick colours of accessories. I think last year you could only cycle through options in one direction.

Last edited by Rudy; 09-08-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Cpu defenders are a lot smarter now in how they play their opponent. If you have good dribble moves they back off a little and won’t gamble much on steals. If you stink at dribbling they will press you more and go for steals. If you are a good perimeter shooter they play tight AND will bite on pump fakes. 2K18 had no pump fakes vs cpu, last year was a little better and this year a nice sweet spot. With Luke Kennard (not impressed with only 84 three point rating, ranked 36) he has been able to get this defender in Atlanta up a couple of times in the first half alone. Very nice.

I’m guessing the reason the cpu seems easier this year is that the game stayed tuned at similar levels but the cpu now has varied release successes instead of good releases all the time resulting in worse outside shooting. Curious if they patch this or leave it to slider guys offline.

I don’t have a post face up game. I’m a back to your basket guy. Might have to work on this.

https://streamable.com/m8ogb

Played another two games this morning. In a little bit of a struggle to contain the high scoring percentages at the rim. The one annoying game was losing to the Cavs. Nantz got 4-5 alley oops. There is very little I can do about those when I can't even see them and am not guarding Nantz. No way should it be lob city in the half court with Dre guarding him. First time I've been annoyed this year with that so I will turn down alley oop success and tendencies.

A little bit of slider madness right now. I'm close but the points in paint issue is still bugging me. I think help rotation on All Star could be better. Outside shooting can be fixed (mainly cpu too weak) with sliders but the FT success seems too high for both. Hopefully they look into it.

I think I need to start a season soon. I've played roughly 15 games. I'd love to start tracking the full stats already.

Apparently the online 2K community is upset with the game. Some freezing or not getting MyPlayer Rep or something. FireRonny2K and fix2k are trending on Twitter.

Just testing the echo chamber in here lol. Anyone else picked the game up or plan to at some point?

My first in game injury! Reggie Jackson takes a hard screen and suffers a rib injury.