Thread: Madden NFL 20 Dev Stream - Gameplay Part 1: Superstar X-Factor

• Facebook
  • Display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Madden NFL 20 Dev Stream - Gameplay Part 1: Superstar X-Factor

The latest Madden NFL 20 dev stream provided the first look at gameplay in the title, showcasing the new Superstar X-Factor feature, player signature animations, and more.

Check out the dev stream below, complete with the TGT Recap.[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

TGT Recap:
    Hosted by ZFarls and Kraelo
    Next week's stream will focus on Madden Ultimate Team

Joined by Senior Gameplay Designer Clint Oldenburg
    Superstar X-Factor helps represent two groups of special players.
    Goal is to properly represent star players.
    50 Star players.
    Zone abilities can be earned in-game.
    Superstar abilities always available.
    'Bazooka' (Zone Ability) = Mahomes throwing ability. EX: Complete certain number of long passes to increase throw power; still within his real life limit.
    'Rack Em Up' (Zone for RAC receiver) = Make certain number of catches & yards.
    'First One Free' (RB Zone Ability) = Can increase success of juke, hesi, etc. move success after reaching in-game goal.
    'Fearmonger' (Pass Rusher Ability)
    'Escape Artist' (Scramble ability on mobile QB)
    Counters and drawback for each ability. (EX: Drained stamina, higher risk of fumbling.)
    'Fastbreak' (Running version of Escape Artist) = Immediate running control; delayed read and react time of defense.
    'Slot-o-matic' (Slot ability) = Elite cuts when running routes, great at getting contested passes on short routes; only when WR in slot.
    Used across all game modes. Will be a progression aspect within Franchise.
    'Enforcer' (Defensive ability)
    Patrick Mahomes abilities shown and counters discussed: Bazooka, Dashing Deadeye, Red Zone Deadeye, Escape Artist, No-Look Deadeye (currently exclusive to Mahomes).
    Passing Accuracy in-game re-worked.

Joined by Designer Greg Heddlesten to talk player authenticity.
    Showing mo-cap of Mahomes to capture his signature passes and passing style.
    Showing mo-cap of players to record Aaron Rodgers passes and style, including on the run throws.
    Showing Drew Brees animations in-game, including licking fingers.
    Team has been looking at player's celebrations to add into the game.
    Big Ben, Brady, Rivers, etc among half-dozen or so QBs with signature passing animations/styles.

Developer blog on Superstar X-Factors and gameplay is now available.

Survey on stream and what you want to see in the future.
    Last edited by cdj; 05-09-2019 at 06:51 PM.

The stream was good, but the blog had a lot of gameplay details in it worth noting.

The last three items it mentions were some of the biggest IMO:

We removed Auto-Strafe from the game completely, both the functionality and the setting.

We removed different Game Speeds from the game, mainly due to the amount of very specific bugs it caused for our animation systems.

Ball Hawk is now defaulted to ON for all skill levels. While it can still be toggled off via settings, having it off can lead to a number of frustration points for our users, so we decided it was not a good default option.

Game speeds removed? That won’t go over well for offline people. How about adding customized camera angles? Ridiculous that isn’t in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Game speeds removed? That won’t go over well for offline people.
    I wasn't on social media or forums much today, but I would think there'd be a lot of upset people in regards to this as well. I can see where it might be an issue, especially with signature animations, but it would be bad to see it removed IMO.

Is that just for Superstar mode or everything?

Is that just for Superstar mode or everything?
    I'm under the impression everything listed applies to all modes unless otherwise stated.

Is it true? After a decade are they finally removing leaping linebackers and their miraculous 10 feet in the air interceptions? This is a goodt day my friends. Now what about that weekly wrap up show???

I like the sound of custom QB animations, quicker releases on short throws and toned down leaping LBS but I need to see it to believe it. I like the badge type of system for superstars to help the, stand out more. I don’t like the sound of improved pass rush. I’m not an NFL QB and I take longer than 3 seconds to throw the ball. Furthermore until Madden give us the ability to throw the ball before a WR breaks and still have the WR run his route and catch a well thrown ball it really doesn’t mesh with that aspect. Route and timing based passing is impossible in Madden. If I throw a pass while a Wr is running upfield they just continue and run a fly and break off their route. This is still a huge omission that needs to be added. And does the pass rush actually involve lineman pushing and slipping by each other or is it just slam into each other with a clear win or loss with no movement at the same time? Are the pass rush moves still completely basic and boring?

How is it that NBA 2K can have a ton of sliders including game speed, quickness and agility and it doesn’t break their animations? How can NBA 2k offer a ton of different camera angles with the ability to zoom in or out and be fully customized but Madden has nothing close?

At some point I wouldn’t mind picking up Madden again but I have passed the last two years and haven’t missed it at all. Better non sports games have filled the void after being very disappointed with the previous two Maddens I owned.

I like the sound of custom QB animations, quicker releases on short throws and toned down leaping LBS but I need to see it to believe it. I like the badge type of system for superstars to help the, stand out more. I don’t like the sound of improved pass rush. I’m not an NFL QB and I take longer than 3 seconds to throw the ball. Furthermore until Madden give us the ability to throw the ball before a WR breaks and still have the WR run his route and catch a well thrown ball it really doesn’t mesh with that aspect. Route and timing based passing is impossible in Madden. If I throw a pass while a Wr is running upfield they just continue and run a fly and break off their route. This is still a huge omission that needs to be added. And does the pass rush actually involve lineman pushing and slipping by each other or is it just slam into each other with a clear win or loss with no movement at the same time? Are the pass rush moves still completely basic and boring?

How is it that NBA 2K can have a ton of sliders including game speed, quickness and agility and it doesn’t break their animations? How can NBA 2k offer a ton of different camera angles with the ability to zoom in or out and be fully customized but Madden has nothing close?

At some point I wouldn’t mind picking up Madden again but I have passed the last two years and haven’t missed it at all. Better non sports games have filled the void after being very disappointed with the previous two Maddens I owned.
    Best part of EA ACCESS... 10 hours gives you just enough time to get a feel for the game. Plus if you pass you can get it for free 7-8 months later.

Yup. I will probably try EA access for a month just to check Madden out.

Would it be that hard for them to add the All 22 cam horizontally like a Tecmo cam? The broadcast camera was always too close for passing.