Thread: 2019 AAF Season Talk

• Facebook
  • Display

2019 AAF Season Talk

Alright, so football kicked off this past weekend in the Alliance of American Football. I gotta admit, it was actually really damn entertaining. The players can lay out big hits, the QBs aren't protected pansies like Pretty Boy Brady, and the refs actually let the teams player and don't throw a flag every 30 seconds like in the No Fun League.

There are rule differences.

There's a 35 second play clock as opposed to a 40 second clock in the NFL.

There are no television timeouts and any commercial breaks are usually only a single 30 second commercial taken during team timeouts before returning to live action (they do a split screen, showing the commercial on the right half and showing a camera feed of what's happening on the field or sidelines on the left half during the commercial).

There are no kickoffs, instead teams start from their offensive drives from their 25 yard line. Instead of having an onside kick, a team will face a 4th and 12 situation from their 35 yard line. If they convert and get a first down, they keep the ball.

There are no PATs, all teams MUST attempt a two point conversion after every touchdown.

Overtime: There is a single overtime session. Each team will start their offensive possession from the 10 yard line and two-point tries are still required like in regulation. Games can end in a tie.

There are currently 8 teams in the league. In the East there are the Atlanta Legends, the Birmingham Iron, the Memphis Express and the Orlando Apollos. In the West, there are the Arizona Hotshots, the Salt Lake Stallions, the San Antonio Commanders and the San Diego Fleet.

The coaches are Rick Neuheisel (Arizona), Kevin Coyle (Atlanta), Tim Lewis (Birmingham), Mike Singletary (Memphis), Steve Spurrier (Orlando), Dennis Erickson (Salt Lake), Mike Riley (San Antonio) and Mike Martz (San Diego).

Notable players include QB Trevor Knight (Arizona), QB Aaron Murray, RB Denard Robinson and WR Stephen Hill (Atlanta), QB Blake Sims, QB Scott Tolzien, RB Trent Richardson and K Nick Novak (Birmingham), QB Christian Hackenberg, QB Zach Mettenburger and RB Zac Stacy (Memphis) and more that I don't have time to list.

Games are broadcast on CBS, CBS Sports, TNT and NFL Network (the NFL Network airs live games every Saturday night and Sunday night), with games played on both Saturday and Sunday.

The first week, this past Saturday and Sunday, saw San Antonio defeat San Diego 15-6, Orlando rout Atlanta 40-6, Birmingham shutout Memphis 26-0 and Arizona down Salt Lake 38-22.

And Shaan Washington brought the HAMMER on Saturday night as he blasted San Diego QB Mike Bercovici. And there was NO flag on the play.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.

I like the rule changes. Are their challenges?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I like the rule changes. Are their challenges?
    Yes, challenges are similar to the NFL. Coaches get two challenges to use and plays are automatically reviewed in the final two minutes of a half and OT.

One thing I love about how the AAF handles challenges compared to the NFL, you get to listen to the ref on the field and the Sky Judge (the official actually making the final call) as they discuss what they're seeing on the screen of replays and what their decision will be. So you already know what the call will be before the ref even announces it on the field. I love how transparent everything is. Coaches are mic'd, QBs and other players are mic'd, the refs are mic'd, the challenge/review official is mic'd.

I will say, I think this league may have some longevity. There has been talk for years about how the NFL needs a "spring league" similar to the NBA's G-League or MLB/NHL's minor leagues, not only for players who may be just on the cusp of making an NFL roster to able to get actual real play time in games and practices, but also experience for up and coming young coaches and for referees. And there are a LOT of former NFL players, coaches and officials affiliated with this league.

Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian are the co-founders, J.K. McKay is Head of Football Operations, Troy Polamalu is Head of Player Relations, Hines Ward is Head of Football Development, Tom Veit is Head of Business Operations, Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino are Officiating Consultants, Justin Tuck and Jared Allen are on the Player Engagement Board of Advisors, Jeff Fisher is the Director of Football Strategy, Michael Vick will be working with Hines Ward in player development.

They've got a TV deal secured to have games aired live on CBS, CBS Sports Network, occasionally on TNT and evening games every Saturday and Sunday night on NFL Network and there is some cooperation with the NFL itself. So the AAF may end up being able to buck the trend of one-year wonders of start up football leagues and become a permanent thing every spring. If it means 10 more weeks (12 weeks including playoffs) of football every February through April, I'm game!

Quite a day in the AAF today. A payroll glitch caused payment to players to be delayed until today, plus the league took in $250M from Carolina's owner.

But then Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon stepped up and made a $250 million investment in the league. With the new infusion of funds on hand, Dundon will reportedly be named the league's new chairman on Tuesday. Dundon paid $420 million for the Hurricanes in January 2018.

The league later confirmed Dundon's contribution.

“Since the beginning, it has been crucial that the foundation of The Alliance be set with world-class partners and Tom Dundon represents just that,” said Charlie Ebersol, co-founder and CEO, The Alliance. “Tom, Bill Polian, and I will work with our great team at the Alliance to expand our football operations and technology business. Tom is a self-made American success story who brings a wealth of knowledge in the sports, entertainment and finance worlds and proven leadership to our organization.”

This league won’t see another season unless the NFL subsidizes it as a minor league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    This league won’t see another season unless the NFL subsidizes it as a minor league.
    The owner of the Carolina Hurricanes put $250M this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    The owner of the Carolina Hurricanes put $250M this past week.
    Seems like a bad investment lol.

The AAF is over before the end of the first season.

After eight weeks of games and less than one season into Alliance of American Football's existence, league owner Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all operations, league co-founder Bill Polian confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed to learn Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all football operations of the Alliance of American Football," Polian said in a statement Tuesday. "When Mr. Dundon took over, it was the belief of my co-founder, Charlie Ebersol, and myself that we would finish the season, pay our creditors, and make the necessary adjustments to move forward in a manner that made economic sense for all.

The Alliance of American Football gave players a chance to prove their worth to NFL teams. Here's who were leading key statistical categories at the time of the league suspending operations:

"The momentum generated by our players, coaches and football staff had us well positioned for future success. Regrettably, we will not have that opportunity."

The league had been struggling from the outset. After the first week of the season, Dundon -- owner of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes -- pledged a $250 million investment and essentially took command of the AAF.

Courtesy: ESPN

I guess players had to pay for their own flights home. These competing leagues have no chance.