Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ace Combat 7

• Facebook
  • Display
    Congrats! How'd you enjoy the campaign overall? There were times I didn't really know what the hell was going on with the story, especially early on, as I have zero prior experience with the backstory of previous games or "history" of the countries and continents in Ace Combat's fictional world. But I still ultimately enjoyed the game. While there were a couple really frustrating missions, as a whole, I enjoyed the campaign and will no doubt end up playing through it multiple times going into the future. It just feels so good to finally be able to get back into the air again, as the last true air combat game I had played was HAWX and HAWX 2 back on the 360.

I still need to dive into Ace Combat 5, which was included as a bonus for pre-ordering the game. From what I've read, Ace Combat 4, Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat Zero are apparently considered the "Holy Trinity" of the Ace Combat series.

I did like the campaign although I have no history with this series and I ended up skipping a lot of the cut scenes. It was 20 missions and I did them lol.

I’d probably give the game a 7 or 7.5/10. The design decisions to not let you switch difficulties during the campaign or use standard controls for VR make no sense and hurt the game. I also felt even some easy missions were a bit too hard. The checkpoints for some of them should have been shorter. Even the layout of the aircraft tree wasn’t the best. I didn’t like that a lot of mission goals had a timer to them. The game was at its best when you were dog fighting. That’s why I thought I would enjoy the online aspect more but some of those guys are so good I felt I was constantly under fire and dying while rarely getting any kills. I think they could do more to make that better.

Overall it was fun but I think the game could have been a bit better in spots.

I would agree with a lot of that. I'm glad I went with the easy difficulty first when I found out you couldn't change it. I didn't want to get halfway through then hit a wall because of a mission that was too difficult. Now that I've played the entire campaign on easy, knowing what the various mission objectives are, and being more comfortable with the controls and flight mechanics, I'll probably try the next difficult level up and see if I can beat the entire campaign on that level, then maybe try the harder difficulties after that.

As for your earlier question, yes, you can replay individual missions. If you going into the campaign, instead of selecting new or continue, it should give you an option called Free Mission or Free Play or something. I forget the actual wording. But that lets you pick any mission you've completed. I had to go back and do some early missions a second or third time to try and get some extra MRP to buy new planes before attempting the next mission while I was working my way through the campaign.

I saw the free mission and eventually figured out what that was lol. There is just an odd layer of design or lack of polish to this game for some reason.