Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Madden NFL 19 - Gameplay Impressions & General Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Yikes, I was thinking of going out today and picking up Madden 19, seeing things like this gameplay video from bdoughty makes me think I should save my money.

Instead of $60 + tax for a messed up Madden, I could buy a refurbished Xbox 360 for $80 and a copy of NCAA 14 used for around $30, plus I'd have a college football game :-)
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 08-24-2018 at 02:13 PM.

The only fun I have had with this games was based on one setting switch last night. Switched it to Arcade. Runners no longer feel like they are running in mud. I am getting better holes and it's just more fun. CPU running seems better early but jury is still out. Player movement seems crisper and more responsive. Less weighted down by the new physics. Now for sim heads this would probably be blasphemous but for me enjoyable gameplay far outweighs simulated stats.

I am going to find a way to get my moneys worth one way or another.

Adrian Peterson in the FA Pool? I have just completed my Steeler/Sooner monster. Ben is still starting but I have Bradford as a backup and Landry was already there to hold the clipboard. Had to release Bell for CAP reasons but I should be fine with Peterson and Perine. Both starting tackles (T Williams and Johnson) and TE's are Sooners (Gresham and Andrews). Fullback Sooner (Ripkowski). Second and Third WR's are Sooners (Stills and Shepard). Only two Sooners starting on defense at DT (McCoy) and CB (Colvin) but there are five more second on the depth chart. Trying to find a way to trade my punter for Tress Way.

Might have bumped up Peterson's stats a bit. I was going for 2012 AD, since he was replacing Bell.

214 rushing yards in a opening day slaughter of the Browns, 41-17. Ben threw for 5TD's and 350 yards. Four of those went to Brown. Only gave up 17 points but we got shredded for 350 in the air with only 60 on the ground, mostly to Taylor on QB scambles. Trying to play from the defensive perspective has caused more than a few big gains because switching players can cause some hillarious dives no where near a runner. I do have all the switching assists on but does not work well with this camera. Probably need to just stay locked into my LB and only switch when absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-26-2018 at 07:34 AM.

So here's my question? Is this game worth getting?

I see reviews online that give it 8.9/10, 8/10, 80% positive, but when I go on my Xbox and go to the store it has hundreds of 1star rating and many people saying they wish they could rate it 0 stars. I think on Xbox it has something like 2/5 stars.

It's wild how on metacritic it gets an 83 from metacritic but users give it 3.5???
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/madden-nfl-19

So I'm confused as to if it's a good game or not why such high praise on some sites and horrible reviews on others? Is the truth somewhere in the middle?
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 08-26-2018 at 10:28 AM.

First update, kids and I love football too much not to buy the game. Went to Target and bought it,

Trying to upload the video:

first game: I'm running right out of the pocket to hit my TE on a crossing route, my QB throws the ball 40 yards back to the right, defense controlled by my son picks it up and takes it to the house for 6.

second game: I pick the ball off with my MLB over the middle, the animation shows my MLB making a diving catch, he catches the ball in mid-air and lands in the endzone for what should have been an INT but it's ruled a Safety??

Other those to examples, game looks and sounds great.

Worked for me. Gotta embrace the wonkiness, otherwise you will pull your hair out. I never run play action anymore, someone is always right in my face before I even finish the animation.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Worked for me. Gotta embrace the wonkiness, otherwise you will pull your hair out. I never run play action anymore, someone is always right in my face before I even finish the animation.
    The wild thing is my 7 year old, who I was playing asks, "Dad how did you throw it like that...and why?"

I was like...ummmmm yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    So here's my question? Is this game worth getting?

I see reviews online that give it 8.9/10, 8/10, 80% positive, but when I go on my Xbox and go to the store it has hundreds of 1star rating and many people saying they wish they could rate it 0 stars. I think on Xbox it has something like 2/5 stars.

It's wild how on metacritic it gets an 83 from metacritic but users give it 3.5???
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/madden-nfl-19

So I'm confused as to if it's a good game or not why such high praise on some sites and horrible reviews on others? Is the truth somewhere in the middle?
    Honestly I regret the purchase. The game has no polish as it's taken a big step back from 18; franchise mode is still boring; presentation and commentary are really questionable at times. The Madden reviews are trash but so are the user reviews putting the game at 3.5. Honestly this game is a consistent 6.5/10. Average game that is incredibly stale.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Honestly I regret the purchase. The game has no polish as it's taken a big step back from 18; franchise mode is still boring; presentation and commentary are really questionable at times. The Madden reviews are trash but so are the user reviews putting the game at 3.5. Honestly this game is a consistent 6.5/10. Average game that is incredibly stale.
    Pretty much. The game needs a overhaul in every area. Problem is they are not going to put any serious effort into the base game as we are nearing the end of this generation. As long as people are willing to pay out the ass for MUT coins, they have no reason to spend a bunch of manpower updating the franchise, AI, presentation, etc until the PS5/XB2. While competition is never a guarantee that a publisher/developer will be pushed to make a better game, it sure as heck would not hurt. Especially considering how long Madden has had no competition.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-27-2018 at 08:09 AM.

People expecting anything more than small, incremental changes or a change in online $ making are going to be disappointed. When they moved from Rex to Clint I didn't expect any major changes. Just an in-house promotion to a guy that was probably very similar. I think the game needs a new voice to change the direction. I've said the same thing about MLB the Show. You need some new blood to shake things up, inspire and try things differently or the game feels stale.

Call me crazy but I've often wondered if these graphic design companies aren't all related? They will say something like, "This new version has our new game engine Ignite, or now it's Frostbite"...but I wonder are those companies really different companies or did they just change names or owners and the employees are still the same?

It is wild how when a new game engine is introduced it's supposed to be the next best thing, then a NEW improved version comes a long a year or two later...why if they are so awesome and so revolutionary do they be antiquated so quickly? Are they all really one and done or do they raise their fees and prices so much that EA goes out shopping for the "next best, lower cost option?"

As far as needing new improvements and different game options I don't really care much on that, I'm old school. I like franchise mode and I like to play "play now games" with my kids, and online with my buddies. MUT isn't my first game option although I might mess with it this year as I enjoy Fifa UT.

The things that blow my mind are things like I posted, how on earth does he "fumble" or throw it backwards 40+ yards? Why do WRs run AWAY from blocking on outside runs? Why does a DB back away from the WR when he's coming towards them and he could prevent a TD? These things didn't happen in older versions of Madden so I'm just not understanding why they are happening now?

Older versions also had more content in Franchise mode, why do they remove things only to wait until the new Madden comes out on PS5 or Xb2 and have "all these new awesome game-changing features." On older Franshise you could change uniforms, change ticket prices, food prices, stadium upgrades, etc...

When it comes down to it, I'm not asking for all bunch of options and game modes, but I would like to see things like -40 fumble throws removed, it wasn't in past versions of the game, why have it now? I'd like to have a solid football game, if they made one without strange errors and then the only yearly changes were roster updates I'd probably go back to the version with least amount of bugs. I think it's cool to have the up-to-date rosters and stadiums but if I could play with out of date rosters and no strange game play issues, I'd pass on the rosters.
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 08-27-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    People expecting anything more than small, incremental changes or a change in online $ making are going to be disappointed. When they moved from Rex to Clint I didn't expect any major changes. Just an in-house promotion to a guy that was probably very similar. I think the game needs a new voice to change the direction. I've said the same thing about MLB the Show. You need some new blood to shake things up, inspire and try things differently or the game feels stale.
    Real change starts at the top. The guy at the top of EA, Andrew Wilson, was the lead producer of FIFA when they first hatched FUT. So his rise to the top came off the back of all those micro-transactions.

https://youtu.be/qqoa2Sjgs80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in case anyone is wondering how much better the game plays when you have a proper slider set I will be streaming my 2025 franchise game in about 30 minutes. I use Matt10 from OperationSports version 24 All-Madden sliders. The latest patch has screwed up some of the gameplay again, but it's miles better than what the game played like without sliders. http://www.youtube.com/slickescobar

A game update will be available today to address the 'fall forward' bug introduced in a previous update.