Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

• Facebook
  • Display

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

Honestly I think Spider-Man looks good but not great. Graphics look great but I’m not convinced the combat is going to be awesome. I’m a little tired of the Batman type stuff with invincible counters that let you take on 50 people. I think the boss fights could be cool but a lot of those scenes were scripted. I’d like to know how many different moves Spider-Man will have.

I won’t go into any spoiler type of impressions but I just played for about 30-40 minutes.

The game has some cut scenes, QTE and linear story aspects. The first chapter is a lot of action and a tutorial. Web swinging was fun and I wasn’t that hot at it. Then you get into a lot of action as the game teaches you the mechanics. There are a lot of different moves. From webs to strikes to grabbing things and throwing them in addition to managing your health meter or jumping off walls I was a bit over whelmed. There is a move page where you can reference things. Once done the first chapter I got a skill point and you can check out the RPG elements. Pretty fun start and I was grateful for the hand holding at times (tutorial).

I am playing on Normal/amazing and I died once but was close a couple times. Dodging with spider sense is pretty important. The one thing I always loved about Spiderman was that he was never invincible or even close to it. This game does a good job of letting you win but are painfully aware of your limitations.

At least your save file indicates percentage done. I was only 2% after the opening. And I’m glad the combat isn’t heavily counter based liked Batman or Mordor (at least for me early on). Kind of tired of that system where you constantly counter punch your way through a huge mob. Using the environment is nice and so many ways to use your webs. You do have a web meter so you can’t spam that in fights.

There are puzzles. I guess it wouldn’t be a Sony exclusive without those. Uncharted, God of War and now Spidey.

My kids wanted to see if I could die if I fell off a tall building and never spun my web. What can I say? My kids are crazy and the answer is no lol.

Some good humour in the game.

It is very early and I’m sure Spidey fans will love it but I don’t feel sucked into it like GOW or Detroit. Again, have maybe played an hour. I did die a couple more times in thug fights.

I'm about an hour and a half in, roughly 6% progress wise. It's a fun game! I'm extremely rough on controls when it comes to webswinging through the city. I keep swinging into buildings and stuff and have to wall run up and launch myself off the building to continue swinging. I'm sure as I play the game more, I'll get a better hang of the controls and be able to do some gymnastics type shit while swinging through the streets.

Combat I like, it does take some thought to battles, especially when you have the big brute guys, or guys armed with weapons that you can't just simply sit there hitting or to keep bashing them. You have to actually use various moves to get behind them, or websling them, or use environmental objects. My failure to adapt as quickly to the brutes have caused me to die at least twice so far on Amazing difficulty.

So far I'm having a lot of fun and can't wait to dig into it more tonight after work. Already unscrambled four or five towers, found 6 or 7 backpacks, handled a half dozen crimes as Spider Cop (god I was laughing during that whole Spider Cop dialogue between Spidey and Yuri). So I've gotten a pretty good starting experience with the game and enjoying the hell out of it.

Only negative experience, not related to the game, but related to GameStop. When I traded in my old PS4 Tuesday, after my Pro arrived from Best Buy, I went store credit because it would have been a lot less if I went straight cash back, so I used that money to preorder the Digital Deluxe version of Spider-Man. Instead of just giving you the damn code then to download it on your console at home, I had to go back at freaking 9pm last night just to stand there for two minutes, wait for them to pull up my preorder, then print off a second receipt with the goddamn PS Store code on it to get the game when I got home.

So it was 9:30pm before I could even start the download, which didn't finish downloading until 12:35. Instead of being able to pre-download the game clear back on Tuesday and wait for it to unlock on the PS4 at midnight last night, I got screwed out of over a half hour of playtime because GameStop decided to force their customer who pre-ordered the digital version to wait until just 3 hours before release to even get the damn code to download it from the PS Store. Why the hell they couldn't just print that stupid 12 digit code on the initial receipt when I made the pre-order on Tuesday, who knows.

But I learned a valuable experience, I'm never pre-ordering anything through GameStop ever again, especially not anything digitally. Screw them, I'll just keep to my usual pattern of pre-ordering via the PS Store so I'm guaranteed to have it pre-downloaded long before midnight on release night, and be able to play the game immediately upon release. The remaining store credit left over from trading in my PS4, I'll just use on some old low priced games that I had thought about buying in the past but never did.

Spider cop was funny.

So, I discovered that I never got my pre-order bonuses. Turns out there was an issue at Gamestop, and maybe other retailers, where some people got the codes for both the game and bonuses on their receipts, while others didn't get all the codes. I got the code for the digital deluxe edition, but it didn't include the bonuses in the download, nor were there any other codes on the receipt. So after calling and confirming it is an issue with the guys at my local Gamestop, I had to go back up there this evening right before work. Then when the guy was trying to print off a new code for me to use to get my pre-order bonuses, it wouldn't print any codes. The guy said Gamestop might have exhausted the allotment of backup codes they got from Sony and had to wait for new codes to be provided.

Well, they easily could have just said I'd have to return tomorrow or some other day, but the guy went above and beyond and did me a solid. He said he'd keep checking throughout the evening to try and get a new code and would text me the code when he got it. He didn't have to do that, again, could have just easily told me to come back tomorrow. Instead he finally got the code for me and texted it to me at 8:51 while I was at work.

So while there was the initial headache of having to go into Gamestop at 9pm Thursday night just to even get my code to use in the PS Store to even simply download the game, and then had to go back in today because I didn't even get the code needed for the bonuses, I will at least give the employees in my local Gamestop credit for doing me a solid and spending extra time trying to get the code and texting it to me hours after I had left to head to work. I appreciate them doing that.

That was cool. Most of the people at my local EB Games are good.

I think the overall impressions will be skewed by how much you like Spiderman. I haven’t really played that much and I’m having fun but this game hasn’t sucked me in like some others have. I haven’t felt the need to play it a lot. I’m also trying to finish HZD after buying it last month which doesn’t help.

While different games, I immediately fell in love with God of War and Detroit Become Human. Those games are both GOTY candidates imo. So far I would put Spidey in the solid but not special category. Unlocking towers/areas and basic crime stopping side missions are nothing new. The puzzle stuff feels more tedious than other games. I haven’t seen much of the story yet so this could change my opinion.

I am getting frustrated by my R2 web swinging in mid air not always working. Not sure why that is.

I swear a backpack is on top of a pole and I can’t climb it. Annoying.

This game looks so much fun in the clips and pics I'm seeing online, but I have held off(so far on getting it). Just too many good games coming out, but I might not hold off for much longer. It might be purchased once the first sale hits. I see that Newegg currently has it for $55 through eBay.

Rudy - I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan, but appreciate comics so hopefully when I get it, I'll really enjoy it.

Smooth - Probably not the most encouraging thing to say, but I've read that the pre-order suits for the game are kind of misleading....users can (at some point) unlock them all in the title. Pre-ordering just unlocked them from the get-go. I am glad the employees there tried to help you out. Nowadays, you never know what kind of customer service you will get at a place. EB/GS get a bad rap (some deservedly so), but I'd hate for them to go away and leave even fewer options for buying games. At the rate we're losing options, no place will ever offer deals or discounts.
    Last edited by cdj; 09-11-2018 at 09:02 AM.

I am having fun with this game. The combat is a bit button-mashy but there is a lot of variety in some things. I love the jump off the wall and punch move. Still clueless on aerial attacks.

The things that frustrated me initially are that some of the controls are clunky. There are times I try to hit R2 to swing and it doesn't do it. There are buildings around too so I don't know why I can't swing. And climbing to find certain back packs is tough. Two backpacks were on pillars and I could not figure out how to climb the pole. Another one I was right on top of (have a pic) and I couldn't collect it. Some buildings with overhangs are annoying to climb. Almost got stuck in one as I was climbing an invisible wall (I have a pic of this too). The camera doesn't re-center sometimes and I am clueless while getting shot at lol.

There appears to be too much busy work. Unlocking all the towers AND having to do the little puzzles to do it are something I have just accepted. Collecting 55 back packs (you would not know poor Peter Parker was so poor as to just buy new back packs all the time) is just an developer fetch tool like inFamous. The little crime battles in the streets are OK to earn tokens to unlock skills and things. You don't have to do these things but you should unless you play on easy. Need to upgrade Spidey.

When you do play a story mission or clear out a Fisk hideout, that's where the game shines imo. The combat is fun and the tip of JUMPING and then using L1/R1 to grab stuff and smash bad guys is great. If you stay on the ground it's a slow mechanic that gets you hit too often. It's a solid game that can entertain. I just don't see the GOTY stuff that some do. It's an open world Spiderman game with a lot of traditional stuff to it. Some stuff is good, some stuff is just meh. Can say the same about any open world game really.

I'm still very early in the game. Like 10%. A lot of people are saying the story is really good in the second half.
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-11-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    This game looks so much fun in the clips and pics I'm seeing online, but I have held off(so far on getting it). Just too many good games coming out, but I might not hold off for much longer. It might be purchased once the first sale hits. I see that Newegg currently has it for $55 through eBay.

Rudy - I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan, but appreciate comics so hopefully when I get it, I'll really enjoy it.

Smooth - Probably not the most encouraging thing to say, but I've read that the pre-order suits for the game are kind of misleading....users can (at some point) unlock them all in the title. Pre-ordering just unlocked them from the get-go. I am glad the employees there tried to help you out. Nowadays, you never know what kind of customer service you will get at a place. EB/GS get a bad rap (some deservedly so), but I'd hate for them to go away and leave even fewer options for buying games. At the rate we're losing options, no place will ever offer deals or discounts.
    Yeah, I found that out after playing more, nearly every suit can be unlocked from simply leveling up and having the right tokens to buy them. Knowing that now, that is sort of disappointing of a bonus. I actually haven't used much of any of other suits I've unlocked so far. I've stuck with the Advanced Suit you unlock early in the game. For some reason the white accents to the traditional Spidey suit just look sweet, especially when swinging through the city.

Yeah, I've had my share of negatives with Gamestop in general, but at least the guys working at my local store seem to actually care about helping their customers and doing what they can to make happy. I always forget to fill out those surveys they ask you to on each receipt, but I made sure to go online that night and filled out surveys both from the night I picked up Spider-Man and from a couple days earlier when I traded in my old PS4.

Meanwhile, I wholeheartedly recommend this game! I'm 60% completed, between the main story missions, side missions and all collectibles. It is fun! Even though there is fast travel throughout the city (once you unlock it), I've only fast traveled 5 times and that was simply to get a trophy. Otherwise, I swing literally everywhere I travel just because it's so damn fun swinging around and throughout the city. That and the city is just so damn good looking! The graphics, especially on the PS4 Pro, are amazing.

Combat is also really fun. Some fights seriously take some thought behind it, especially when you get the big brute guys involved, as they do not going down easily. Then you add in guys with shields, rifles, rocket launchers, snipers, swords, shit gets crazy! You gotta be able to change tactics on the fly depending on who you're trying to take down. And while you may be able to get away with staying on the ground early on, eventually, you have to adjust your tactics further to staying in the air as much as possible during combat. Jump up, do some swinging around to open up space, swing kick a couple enemies into the air, web up some enemies and either swing them into other enemies or swing them into walls to remove them from battle permanently. Or if you want to thin out the numbers you'll be facing, start things off stealth and quietly eliminate various enemies until you either have eliminated them all or only have a couple left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not that it means anything since it's widely known this game is selling really well, but I've noticed Wal-Mart's in both Omaha and Lincoln both out of physical copies while they still have them for NBA 2K19, for example.

I wonder how many titles Spider-Man hurt or helped to knock out this year? I have a feeling games such as LIVE 19 and NASCAR Heat 3 took a hit as a result and wonder if Tomb Raider this week will as well. It probably has a big enough of a following/fan-base worldwide to be fine though.

Well, I don't know about numbers for the US, UK or elsewhere, but I've seen figures of something like 98% of the stock of Spider-Man for the entire country of Japan has been sold.

Of the however many hundreds of thousands or millions of copies that were stocked and sold in Japan, 98%+ of those copies have already sold. This has been big news because apparently recent Sony exclusives haven't sold well in Japan from what I read, so Spider-Man selling out almost its entire Japan allotment so quickly has been huge news.

So if the sales in US, UK and elsewhere are even slightly similar to Japan's, this game just destroyed projected September sales numbers for a lot of games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UK numbers were better than GOW. And GOW sold 3 million in 3 days in North America although we won’t know if that ratio holds true for a bit. I think it’s killing Tomb Raiders numbers tho.

Edit: European numbers show Shadow TR down 70% from original (physical copies).

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-0...-raider-reboot
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-17-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Just finished the campaign yesterday and between this and GOW and Detroit 2018 was a great year for Sony exclusives.

Getting back into this game. Only 20% or do complete but now there are Research tokens to collect? Between the absurd number of backpacks and landmark camera shots it’s just way too much imo. They should have toned that stuff down. The best part of the game to me are the Fisk hideouts. Lots of action and fun. That’s where the game shines. Random crimes are fun too. The story is starting to go somewhere although I haven’t been overly impressed by it so far. I hope the main missions get better. I generally don’t look forward to them that much.

Edit: 26% done.
    Last edited by Rudy; 12-28-2018 at 07:36 AM.