Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, XB1, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, XB1, PC)

Looks good. The first game was really good although the log method of telling the back story was weak. The second game was a letdown imo. Tried to go open world a bit but it didn’t work. The environments weren’t varied enough either. This game should just try and be similar to Uncharted with RPG elements. Definitely interested.

The game will offer a “new game plus” mode. What is cool is that you retain all your final skills and weapons but the game also unlocks 3 specialty skill trees with new things to unlock.

https://tombraider.square-enix-games...-new-game-plus

Path of the Serpent

You gameplay features an emphasis on stealth and subterfuge. Take down your foes one by one, using sound and decoys to sow chaos among their ranks. Mud and camoflague lets you lash out your foes before slipping back into the shadows.

Path of the Jaguar

Your gameplay features an emphasis on hunting and combat. Strike down your enemies with an unrivaled ferocity. Your agility and close-ranged prowess tear through your enemies with knife takedowns.

Path of the Eagle

Gameplay features an emphasis on traversal and resourcefulness. Observe your enemies from afar, scouting out to plan your next attack. Traverse with ease, attacking enemies from long range.

Rewards

Each chosen path will unlock a variety of exclusive rewards that further compliment your playstyle and gameplay.

By selecting a path, you'll unlock mastery skills featuring a variety of unique new abilities. From Jaguar Rage to Eagle Sight, each skill expands your game play.

On top of new skills available, chosen Paths feature unique themed weapons and outfits that further take your game.

Each chosen path will unlock a variety of exclusive rewards that further compliment your playstyle and gameplay.

By selecting a path, you'll unlock mastery skills featuring a variety of unique new abilities. From Jaguar Rage to Eagle Sight, each skill expands your game play.

On top of new skills available, chosen Paths feature unique themed weapons and outfits that further take your game.

I’ve been happy with what they have shown so far. Lots of different ways to explore, 3D exploration under water, some cool combat. Just hope the more open world doesn’t detract from the story. The sequel struggled with that.

Personally I think Spiderman is getting all the love but this game is more appealing to me. Just hope it meets expectations.

I buy every Tomb Raider and this will be no different. More concerned about the Tombs. We need more and there needs to be a bit more difficulty.

This game does have different difficulty options for gameplay vs puzzles. Some of that stuff dictates how easily ledges, clues and paths are highlighted for you. Innovative way to do things. Uncharted difficulty for platforming was non existent. TR made it a little more difficult. I think if games want to add platforming you need to add an element of risk and difficulty.

Review embargos end at noon eastern today. Hopefully they are good.

Matters not to me. It's not like they can completely screw up a tried and true formula from the last two games with even more Tombs being added. Bought the digital version that includes the season pass, been installed for a week and ready to roll.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 09-10-2018 at 10:04 AM.

I’ve just got too many games I have to finish. Trying to finish HZD and have Spiderman which I’m lukewarm on. I do think I will like TR better but NBA 2K also awaits me. May still keep my preorder as I got a good deal. I may just dump/put aside Spidey too. I’m not hooked on that game. It’s a solid open world Spiderman but it’s not GOTY material imo. Not close.

77 on PS4 right now
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...he-tomb-raider
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Early impressions on Reddit are a positive. Many there also felt the second one was a letdown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...e_who_got_the/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...y_impressions/
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-13-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Just an amazing looking game so far. Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn were my graphical benchmarks but this surpasses it so far. Playing on the XB1X on performance setting and it runs a silky smooth 60FPS, where the other two were stuck at 30 making it all that more impressive. There is a great section early on where you get to play as a young Laura in Croft Manor and the backyard which gives a great glimpse into how she became what she is today.

You are making me jealous and want a Pro. Getting to play games that look great AND in 60 fps would be nice.

My game should have actually been in today (pre-release shipping gets to me a day early 50% of the time) but the Post Office sent the game to Windsor instead of my home town (30 minutes away). So likely tomorrow. Still trying to finish HZD and only 11% done Spidey!

There are 9 Challenge Tombs and two in the first main (open) section. Nothing overly difficult so far. You do spend a lot of time with Jonah at your side early on. He can be left to wait while you seek out tombs and hunting in some instances but he tries to keep Laura in check and lordy does she need it in this game. Starting to think some of the lower review scores were focused on the story and how she is portrayed because the gameplay is relatively unchanged so far, outside of a few things (you can rappel now) and to me that is a good thing.

The only real glitch I have seen is in some caves the flashlight never comes on. Since there is no way to toggle it on/off, it has cause me to go to the options/graphics/crank brightness a few times.

If you invest in a Pro be sure and see what models make the least amount of fan noise. I will probably get a Pro down the line to play TLOU2 and a few other exclusives I missed but they need to fix that and also a price drop, so I am in no rush.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 09-13-2018 at 09:59 AM.

The Pro is supposed to be loud. This last gen may be a bit better but I'm surprised they haven't come up with a Pro Slim that is all around quieter and cooler. Plus the X is better than the Pro so the difference between a basic XBox and the X is bigger than my PS4 and Pro. I haven't even seen one on display.

The story may be iffy. I had read that the combat is more stealth based and there is less of it compared to exploring.

One guy on OS had his game screw him. He was doing a puzzle and ran out of arrows. Can't craft any more to finish the puzzle and is locked in a loop with no return. Hopefully that's a minor bug that can get fixed. Seems like those that have the game are enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    One guy on OS had his game screw him. He was doing a puzzle and ran out of arrows. Can't craft any more to finish the puzzle and is locked in a loop with no return. Hopefully that's a minor bug that can get fixed. Seems like those that have the game are enjoying it.
    Have not run into that yet, generally if there is a tomb/puzzle where the bow is required there will be a ton of spare arrows lying around. Even in a tomb or catacomb you can go back to the entrance and go out an cut down some wood. Must be a story puzzle?

It seems that it's just us two posting on this forum nowadays. Might be best if they just close up shop since most of you guys post at OS anyways. Wish JB and CDJ the best and appreciate what they have done over the years.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 09-14-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Keep posting your impressions. I just got the game today and will likely check it out this weekend. I can't remember a time where there were so many good games out at the same time. Not to mention Red Dead (although I'm in the minority that doesn't care for it that much) in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Keep posting your impressions. I just got the game today and will likely check it out this weekend. I can't remember a time where there were so many good games out at the same time. Not to mention Red Dead (although I'm in the minority that doesn't care for it that much) in October.
    Hell, I thought last year was nuts. This year is crazy. Just for games I'm planning to buy, since the start of this month, Spider-Man, NBA 2K19 (once it goes on sale, hopefully around the holidays), Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Just Cause 4, I'm still debating on Fallout 76, but I am leaning towards buying it more than I was in the past, The Walking Dead: The Final Season (once the last episode is release and the entire season is available at once).

Every year I think the fall game release schedule can't be topped, and each new year, they find a way to top the previous year.

They really could use a bit more combat in the game. I love exploring but killing things is fun too. Combat has really gone stealth heavy. You can get messed up pretty quick if you try to go in guns blazing in a few of the scenarios with human enemies.

I remember thinking GOW could have used more combat at times. And I was also disappointed in the amount of stealth in HZD but since I’m almost done that I will just have to keep that in mind.

Is the story weak so far?