Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 76 (PS4, XB1, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Todd Howard confirms that Fallout 76 will have no offline mode.

"Solo play" will include other players in the world, you just would be playing the questline by yourself rather than as part of a group. No NPCs in the game aside from robots. Every character you see will be a real human. The quests will be like how they were in Fallout 4, but instead of running into a group of raiders or something, you'll run into other human players.

They do not want it to be grief-y and will try to dial it in. They want a little bit of drama there, without other players ruining your game. VATs will still be in the game, but it's going to be real-time and will let you target and pick parts to attack.

They're treating it as a game as a service, where they hope to add stuff into the game constantly and tweaking as they learn what the players love and hate about the game as they play it. They love mods and are committed to making mods possible in Fallout 76, but it will not be available or possible at launch. But they hope to reach a point down the road where you can have your own private world and play with mods and they are committed to bringing that down the road

There WILL be private servers, maybe not at launch necessarily, that wasn't clear, but there will be private servers at least at some point. So you may still be able to do a solo Fallout 76 without having to deal with other people, however, the world will be extremely empty as there will be no other NPCs other than some robots.

Todd confirms that there is no remaster of Fallout 3, at least not right now, mentioning that you can experience it in 4K on Xbox One if you still want to play it right now.

My preorder is in! Can't wait for the beta!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

After playing around 10 more hours of Elder Scrolls Online, I am just not feeling MMO's. This will have far less people on the map but the lack of NPC's concerns me most. It almost gives a Sea of Thieves vibe that you can play single player but will spend your whole play-though trying not to get reamed by groups that have teamed up. I played SOT for a few hours and that was all that happened to me. Look at the single player newbie, let's destroy his little boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    After playing around 10 more hours of Elder Scrolls Online, I am just not feeling MMO's. This will have far less people on the map but the lack of NPC's concerns me most. It almost gives a Sea of Thieves vibe that you can play single player but will spend your whole play-though trying not to get reamed by groups that have teamed up. I played SOT for a few hours and that was all that happened to me. Look at the single player newbie, let's destroy his little boat.
    My fears too. But that being said, I am willing to try it out.

New Todd Howard Fallout 76 Interview. More details. (translated from reddit)

Imagine that I want to play alone. There will be no specific areas of the map or only PvE dedicated servers like for example with World of Warcraft?
    Not at the launch. When you come into play you can see the other players but you will not be forced to interact with them; you can play on your own. You can see them but you do not have to fight them. Maybe you can use them to exchange items, to join a team, or you can visit their camp. There are a lot of things you can do with other players that is not a comparison with weapons. However, one of our long-term plans is to have servers where you can live your lonely world. You alone. Or at the limit where you can invite only your friends; or you can apply mods and change the rules at your discretion. All of this is in our projects but there will not be at the launch of the game.

It's all very nice but how will you keep the spawn killer at bay or maybe groups of people standing outside the vault to keep the other players out? How will you try to limit those who want to make the experience of others frustrating?
    There are several tricks we are implementing to prevent the other players from doing exactly the things you describe. For example, at the moment you can not kill a player until he reaches level 5. Maybe we will change this rule, but we are aware of the risks because that stuff does not appeal to us either. But it does not scare us to try new things and leave the players the total freedom to fight at their discretion or to not do so if they are not interested.

Dying will not have much penalty but it is not clear to me what happens to your camp if it is bombed or the moment you unplug me.
    When you go offline, it disappears.

Ok, but can other players destroy it or steal something from you? Can you move it?
    Yes, other players can damage it, but only partially. But it costs very little to repair it. The reason we make it damaged is because it is possible to confine another player in the camp, if it can not break it becomes a problem. That's why we decided to make the camps destructible: not because we want to stimulate others to attack your shelter but to prevent players from using the camp to annoy other players. It's still very easy to repair and when you get disconnected, it disappears.

And what if someone builds his camp exactly where you put it?
    Theoretically it is possible but considers that the world is really huge. Now I'll explain something. Imagine that as soon as you leave the vault you want to build your camp in the immediate vicinity. Keep in mind that the construction and assembly module is mobile so you are continuing to play Fallout and you realize that at a certain distance there is a beautiful hill overlooking a valley with a splendid view and then you want to build there the your camp. And in a moment you can move it. If for some reason someone builds above your position, you can move your shelter somewhere else, or you can start damaging that camp until you persuade the other player to move. It depends entirely on you. But it's really rare, very rare, for two people to build at the same spot.

Will there be fast travel?
    Yes.

And what about vehicles or mounts?
    No. It's exactly like Fallout.

How does the quest management system work? Can we expect non-player characters that offer main and secondary missions?
    There are no non-player characters but only other players. There are robots, terminals, holotape. And there are events that appear periodically and can be joined by all the players. There are radio stations. These are all things you've already seen in previous Fallouts but for us the most interesting part is this replacement of NPCs with other players. It's a much more interesting dynamic in this game.

So will the other players assign you missions?
    Not exactly.

Can not you be more specific?
    Not now, we'll talk about it later.

Will there be the day / night cycle? And the weather will be variable?
    Yes.

But will everything be synchronized at the server level? Will all players experience the same conditions at the same time?
    On the server where you are, yes, but we have not decided yet if everything will be synchronized. Probably not because there are benefits to not having the whole map in sync.

I have read that it will be possible to sell equipment and items created to other players. How? Can I choose to be a merchant?
    Absolutely! This is our hope. Build your camp, collect resources, collect weapons and then you can place your robot to sell all the stuff until you choose to play a role in the role of a merchant.

But does this also apply to the materials and ingredients of crafting? For all the resources?
    Yes, you can sell anything except some quest items. Whatever you can produce or collect in the world, you can sell it to other players.

Can you tell me something more about the beta? I know you can not talk about the release date but what kind of content can we expect?
    I think it will be released in several stages and our hope is that the main beta is the full game.

Ah, so who plays it can bring his own character? There will be no classic pre-release cancellation of the game?
    We do not know yet. We do not want to reset the servers but we'll see. Our hope is that it is the complete game.

It's all very nice but how will you keep the spawn killer at bay or maybe groups of people standing outside the vault to keep the other players out? How will you try to limit those who want to make the experience of others frustrating?
    There are several tricks we are implementing to prevent the other players from doing exactly the things you describe. For example, at the moment you can not kill a player until he reaches level 5. Maybe we will change this rule, but we are aware of the risks because that stuff does not appeal to us either. But it does not scare us to try new things and leave the players the total freedom to fight at their discretion or to not do so if they are not interested.

Dying will not have much penalty but it is not clear to me what happens to your camp if it is bombed or the moment you unplug me.
    When you go offline, it disappears.

Ok, but can other players destroy it or steal something from you? Can you move it?
    Yes, other players can damage it, but only partially. But it costs very little to repair it. The reason we make it damaged is because it is possible to confine another player in the camp, if it can not break it becomes a problem. That's why we decided to make the camps destructible: not because we want to stimulate others to attack your shelter but to prevent players from using the camp to annoy other players. It's still very easy to repair and when you get disconnected, it disappears.
    Cringe...

I'll happily play with you guys but I have no interest in destroying each others camp, etc. I just want to build and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Cringe...

I'll happily play with you guys but I have no interest in destroying each others camp, etc. I just want to build and explore.
    They will not be available at launch but it is confirmed that there will be private/modded servers. This seems like the best option for those of us who just enjoy the exploring and building.

Cringe...

Yeah, I'd pretty much only play with you guys or maybe some people from OS, that's about it. Screw dealing with randoms. I've already sworn off public multiplayer for games like Grand Theft Auto because of asshole randoms. I'll only play multiplayer on games like GTA V if I can be in my own private lobby. If I can't, fuck it, I won't play multiplayer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Anyone preorder this yet? I wanted to get the Tricentennial edition but why is it $30 more for essentially a few costumes within the game? I must be missing something. That’s nuts! I’m getting so sick of these cash grab schemes from every developer nowadays.

Anyone preorder this yet? I wanted to get the Tricentennial edition but why is it $30 more for essentially a few costumes within the game? I must be missing something. That’s nuts! I’m getting so sick of these cash grab schemes from every developer nowadays.
    I haven't yet. I'm still on the fence whether I'll get it at launch or not. There's just so much coming out this Fall. Spider-Man, NBA 2K19, Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption 2, Just Cause 4. I'll have to give it some thought on what I want to do in regards to Fallout. If I do pre-order it, it won't be until right before launch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Finally preordered. I’m not sure what to expect but I love the Fallout world so I am looking forward to the beta. Rumour is that it will drop October 14th. I went xbox one x edition in case anyone out there wants to meet up for some fair fun exploration and settlement building.

Fun! Exciting! Super! Things I would not say after watching the video. Maybe when mods become available and private servers but this just does zero for me.

While not thrilled about the videos thus far I am still excited nonetheless. I love exploring and I think that will be fun.

The countdown is on for Tuesday and the B.E.T.A on XBOX 1. If anyone has the game on xbox let me know and we can do some exploring.

Looking forward to day 2 of the B.E.T.A. In all honesty the way Bethesda has dealt with the BETA is very frustrating. They were not at all truthful in their attempt to garnish preorders. While I must say I very much enjoy the game I really dislike how they marketed and misled the consumer. Implying an unlimited beta and then providing 8 hours over a period of 7 days is not an unlimited beta. Again, the game is fun and I enjoy it but Bethesda is better than this and should treat the consumer better than this. Just be honest up front and people will still buy your game.

Well I am now up to level 10 and really I am enjoying the game. Zero issues with rogue players. The strange thing is how empty the world actually feels. Unless people show up to an event you almost never see ANYONE. I would love if a few people pick up this game and want to team up. The release is soon and I will be excited to have 24/7 access. My only complaint is that stash sizes are way too small.

I bought it, if anything to give Jaymo someone to run around killing things with. This, RDR2 and Just Cause 4 will keep me busy until the spring games hit.

Don't get ideas about some kind of elaborate betrayal Jaymo.

I bought it, if anything to give Jaymo someone to run around killing things with. This, RDR2 and Just Cause 4 will keep me busy until the spring games hit.

Don't forget building your camp.

Thought 2: what is difficult about this game is how some challenges almost require you to have at least one other person. Sometimes you just have too many enemies to take on by yourself.