Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Golf Club 2019

• Facebook
  • Display

The Golf Club 2019

Its a really great game bought the 1st two and really just didn't sink much time into either. The putting for me is absolutely BRUTAL and without a group of friends to play with online (where are you SC) I'll probably pass.

The Golf Club has acquired the PGA TOUR license.

Press Release:

Spoiler: show
    PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FLORIDA and NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA – The PGA TOUR returns to the video game space in an exciting new way this summer when a comprehensive PGA TOUR Career Mode is integrated into the award-winning “The Golf Club” franchise for Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC platforms.

Through a licensing agreement with Canadian developer HB Studios, the career mode in “The Golf Club 2019” takes a player on an authentic journey through Q-School, the Web.com Tour and a 32-tournament PGA TOUR season, including the FedExCup Playoffs, to become the FedExCup Champion. As players progress and complete challenges, they will attract sponsors who will offer rewards for continued success.

Launching in August, “The Golf Club 2019” will feature six precise replicas of renowned TPC courses: Summerlin, Scottsdale, Sawgrass, Southwind, Deere Run and Boston. The PGA TOUR and HB Studios will continue to support the golf videogame community into the future by adding authentic tournament courses and ensuring the best possible play experience for fans of the sport.

“We are so excited for the launch of The Golf Club 2019 featuring the PGA TOUR that highlights some of our best tournaments,” said Len Brown, PGA TOUR Chief Legal Officer and Executive Vice President of Licensing. “This will allow our fans to take the same path to the PGA TOUR by earning their card through the Web.com Tour. Additionally, this will give gamers the opportunity to play under the same tournament conditions that our players face week in and week out. We are thrilled with this partnership.”

CAA Sports Licensing, on behalf of the PGA TOUR, helped broker the relationship with HB Studios.

HB Studios launched the original The Golf Club in 2014 followed by a highly rated sequel in June 2017. HB Studios is Atlantic Canada’s largest independent video game developer, established in 2000. HB Studios has an 18-year heritage of working on the industry’s leading sports games and franchises.

“We are absolutely ecstatic and proud to be an official licensee of the PGA TOUR, one of the most prestigious sports organizations in the world,” said Alan Bunker, CEO of HB Studios. “This further validates that HB Studios has the number one golf video game on console and PC platforms. With the inclusion of PGA TOUR content and the support of this fantastic organization, it will elevate our game even higher and provide our users with an even more authentic video game golfing experience.”

PGA TOUR Career Mode
    Users will begin their career in the Web.com Tour qualifying tournament, the start of a journey to become a PGA TOUR member. Finishing in the top 75 in this event qualifies for entry into the Web.com Tour. In a streamlined season, users will have multiple ways of advancing to the PGA TOUR to begin their professional career. Finishing in first place in three of the six events will automatically earn a PGA TOUR card for early promotion. Finishing in the top 25 on the money list after the six events will also earn early promotion to the PGA TOUR. Once on the PGA TOUR, users will join the PGA TOUR and compete for the FedExCup over 32 events. Throughout each PGA TOUR season, not only will they compete for the top spot on the leaderboards, they will be working to achieve sponsorship goals for in-game rewards and competing against rivals.

Rivalries
    Once on the PGA TOUR, a player’s skills are noticed, leading to a rivalry with another player on TOUR. Over the following events they will compete head-to-head to prove who is the better player, not only on the leaderboard but also statistically. Players will compete for points in Number of Strokes, Front 9 Score, Back 9 Score, Birdies or Better, No Bogey Round, Best Hole and Worst Hole. The first player who reaches 20 points overall wins the rivalry and the bragging rights before moving on to the next challenge.

Sponsor Goals
    On the road to the FedExCup Playoffs, a player will attract the attention of various sponsors, who will offer an opportunity to represent their brand while completing challenges throughout each season. The better the performance, the more attention a player will draw from sponsors. A player will have to manage partnerships and challenges for rewards. Each sponsor comes with three levels where a player will have to complete 1-3 challenges to receive a reward.

Licensed Courses
    Throughout the PGA TOUR Career Mode, players will experience some of the most well-crafted user generated courses, as well as the authentic PGA TOUR tournament courses: TPC Summerlin (home of the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open), TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course (Waste Management Phoenix Open), TPC Sawgrass’ THE PLAYERS Stadium Course (THE PLAYERS Championship), TPC Southwind (FedEx St. Jude Classic and future home of the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Championship), TPC Deere Run (John Deere Classic), and TPC Boston (Dell Technologies Championship).
    Last edited by cdj; 05-21-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Wow that was a nice grab for HB Studios. Hopefully they can provide a solid career mode. Last year was not bad since you could add created courses but too many of those courses had FAST greens which made things far too tough. I have posted on their official forums my wishlist. Options for users to tailor custom courses (green speed and time of day) were the big ones. More camera options especially the ones you change on the fly. Nobody needs two side view cameras.

Wow. This just jumped onto my interest list now. I bought the first TGC that came out, but hadn't bought the second. Having a PGA Tour career just got my interest. Haven't played a golf game since Tiger Woods 12 with the Masters.

Glad they got the license. It's WAY more solid a golf title than anything EA ever put out but ultimately still falls into the dart game feel to me

Barely played GC2 so I'll wait for a price drop and more courses.
    The dude abides.

- The game is out today. Did anyone get it? Thoughts?

- It wasn't really publicized, but 2K is publishing the title. Pastapadre is reporting that the game features microtransactions/virual currency.

Downloading now, I was too weak to wait... Again. I do blame Far Cry 5 as the one DLC I was looking forward to is just a glorified 7 stage Arcade mission with narration.

The VC is just coins to make it easier to buy gear and for some online stuff. Things you can accumulate actually playing the game. I gladly take this over their former publisher, Maximum Games, as this should allow for more growth to the series and hopefully get them a better game engine than Unity.

Just noticed you can now do wagers in online games with VC. That is a nice touch that really works well with a golf game. Finally a viable use for VC. 50 VC the Smails kid picks his nose.

Last edited by bdoughty; 08-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Just noticed that this one is Xbox One X Enhanced. 4K but no HDR yet.

Only one round in but you can see the major improvements right away. Everything is smooth with none of the jank navigating through menus or the delays showing the scorecard between holes. Irons and wedges have more weight to them allowing you to take a bit off a shot without having to tweak the loft/de-loft settings. Four NAMED camera views. (Full) which I am sticking with but there are three others which can be mixed and matched for drives, fairways and putting. Big improvement over the numbered cameras which never made sense. Game runs and looks great compared to TGC2 but having the X might also help. You now have a bunch more settings for weather, time of day to star round and other options setting up a round. They worked with some of the course creators and added many of them to the HB Official lineup (not licensed courses) which gives you around 30 courses that can be played offline. So if the internet goes down you still have the TPC courses (6) the old HB Courses and the user created courses that were made official. Staying with the Pro difficulty clubs for now as I need to get my timing down. The actual swing feels so fluid and you know when you know when you release the club back/swing forward too fast or slow and this is what will create the bigger slices or hooks. Only missed two fairways and both times because I was too fast on the swing thru. Yes, accuracy of the analog movement will also create a mishit but most of my swings were pretty lined up in that regard. Will probably change if I bump up to the higher club difficulty.

So despite having essentially zero announcements or public/community interaction leading up to the release, it sounds like it actually runs and plays good from what you're saying.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very encouraging, considering how little I played GC2 I'm going to wait for either a price drop or more PGA courses.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    So despite having essentially zero announcements or public/community interaction leading up to the release, it sounds like it actually runs and plays good from what you're saying.
    Pretty much. It was without question one of the worst PR fumbles in gaming history. They did not even release the price of the game until it showed up in the store. I am loving the game so far but there are some online issues and crashes that I have not run into. Do not play multiplayer and have not had a crash. Still think Rory looks better but you are also dealing with a AAA dev versus an indie and Frostware vs Unity. For me the biggest issue is that much of the janky stuff was cleaned up and all the added customization added in playing a round, player creation and the option of playing their standard qualifying/web/pgatour or making your own.

Also seeing plenty of complaints about too much roll on short irons but as always HB will tweak the game over time. Some people simply are not happy with not being able to stop a 3 iron on a dime and expect every 9 iron shot to check up. HB has put a premium on tempo and you will lose spin when a shot is not hit properly.

Cool, as long as it plays good and it was only a PR shit show and not a gameplay shit show.

With Spider-Man and 2K19 coming out next week, I'll probably wait on this until it goes on sale, maybe during a holiday sale or something. But I'll definitely add this to my list of games to pick up down the road.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Qualified for the Web.com coming in 3rd place. Sticking with medium difficulty and pro club settings for now. Won the first Web.com event by a stroke with a birdie on the final hole. Only hit half of the fairways but it seems the rough is a bit easy on the early levels as there has been no wind, soft greens and easy rough. I agree that the ball rolls a bit much but I think it is simply HB trying not to make golf a game of darts. You can loft up the club for spin but the swing line for an accurate shot is greatly reduced the more you change it. Have found the underclub and roll up works better for me. My drives have been all over the place on the last round. I have never spent so much time hitting practice swings before drives and woods from the fairway. Bad tempo, especially on the downswing has been a killer for me.

You can also switch up the difficulty or amount of rounds in the Tour at any time. This will be great for bumping up difficulty on certain events like Majors. Sticking to single rounds until I hit the PGA Tour and will go to 2 rounds for regular events and 4 rounds for majors.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-30-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Started toying with the custom tour (Solo Society) and they made almost everything customizable there too. The only snag is right now you are locked into how many rounds per event for a whole season. I was able to do two rounds for regular events and four rounds for a major in TGC2, so I am hoping this is something they forgot to add. Might have to stick to four rounds for everything but I did post about it on the official forums. Back to the customization, on any course, User Created or HB you can edit each of the rounds to play completely different. From wind speed, direction, weather/clouds, when your player tees off, softness/harness of greens and fairways, speed of the greens, etc. The tees are locked in, which is normal but you still have the varied pin settings. Pretty much everything I could hope for in creating a custom tour.

Now I just need to wait until the creators of all the real life courses, convert to TGC 2019.

Two wins in four events on the web.com tour. Only need one more win to automatically qualify for the PGA Tour. Did shoot an +11 on one of those events as I went all Roy McAvoy on a Par 4 that had a shortcut to the green, protected by water from tee to green. Three in the drink and the Fourth one hit a rock and landed safely enough for me to chip it past the green and two putt. Followed that up with three drives on the next hole that went OB. Other than that I played a really damn fine round of golf.

Can't wait to eventually get this. Loved the TGC and couldn't get enough of how well they did the ball physics and play of the game.

On the same boat with BD, those courses they create are awesome.

Believe I am getting it for X1 this go around instead of PS4

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Can't wait to eventually get this. Loved the TGC and couldn't get enough of how well they did the ball physics and play of the game.

We can rekindle our rivalry on the course if you decide to go X1.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    We can rekindle our rivalry on the course if you decide to go X1.
    Might do the same.
    The dude abides.