Thread: College Basketball FBI Investigation

• Facebook
  • Display

College Basketball FBI Investigation

As this is something that is clearly going to last beyond this college basketball season (hell, the ramifications and punishments could last for years alone), I decided to put this in its own thread.

Yahoo Sports just opened the gates of NCAA chaos.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/exc...103338484.html

ESPN summerizes a lot of the names of teams and players mentioned in Yahoo's report.

Report: NCAA teams, players ID'd in FBI probe http://es.pn/2GE2xcQ
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Get out your popcorn boys! I hope you ordered in bulk!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-23-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Well actually an FBI/DOJ leaker opened the gates - its not like Yahoo can just walk into the DOJ/Fed Prosecutor's office and demand copies of files from an ongoing criminal investigation.

Also before people get to thinking Duke (and allot of others) are in trouble the NCAA has a rule that says any benefits under $200 (such as a free meal - as alleged in the Yahoo article) are not violations as long as the athlete/family makes a donation to a charity of the athlete's choice matching the amount of the benefit/meal.

The clickbait nature of allot of the headlines then you read and find out very few of these are actually "major" violations.

Now I don't think this is over by any stretch but IF this were in fact all the FBI uncovered college basketball recruiting is not as dirty as I had thought.

It'll be interesting to see how many schools sit out players listed in this doc to try and save themselves from further trouble down the line.

Texas is withholding junior guard Eric Davis Jr. from competition until further notice after his name appeared in documents in a federal investigation into college basketball corruption.

Davis was named along with former Texas players Prince Ibeh and Isaiah Taylor in documents obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Davis received a $1,500 loan from ASM Sports associate Christian Dawkins, according to the documents.

Courtesy: AP

No wonder schools and conferences have been in no hurry to actually leave or defy the NCAA despite some of their claims & actions. They knew they'd get away with anything....at least until the feds got involved.

Yeah, Sean Miller may be screwed. If you're gonna do illegal shit, never do it over the phone! Haven't people learned anything from Goodfellas?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Well actually an FBI/DOJ leaker opened the gates - its not like Yahoo can just walk into the DOJ/Fed Prosecutor's office and demand copies of files from an ongoing criminal investigation.

Also before people get to thinking Duke (and allot of others) are in trouble the NCAA has a rule that says any benefits under $200 (such as a free meal - as alleged in the Yahoo article) are not violations as long as the athlete/family makes a donation to a charity of the athlete's choice matching the amount of the benefit/meal.

The clickbait nature of allot of the headlines then you read and find out very few of these are actually "major" violations.

Now I don't think this is over by any stretch but IF this were in fact all the FBI uncovered college basketball recruiting is not as dirty as I had thought.
    Well, that of course is assuming those families and players actually made those donations. I'm gonna guess there's a sizable portion of those listed who had not made donations to make themselves legal.

I also have a feeling there's about to be a whole lot of donations being made in the coming weeks and months as more names come out.

And I don't think this is the end either. I think Yahoo Sports was able to get hold of only a portion of the whole amount of stuff the FBI actually has.

But, this may be good in the end. This may be the thing that blows the doors wide open on just how much money is already changing hands and maybe finally starts the conversation on actually paying athletes.

Or maybe I'm just being extremely hopeful since athletes being allowed to be paid would solve a massive hurdle in getting NCAA Football back.

So basically, Miller gets paid bigtime for winning and also if fired for getting caught cheating. What a great agent he must have.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    So basically, Miller gets paid bigtime for winning and also if fired for getting caught cheating. What a great agent he must have.
    MY understanding is that there are also clauses re criminal conduct in most/many of these contracts especially after Pedophile State. That would be a different issue than just "for cause".

Of course it all depends on the contract

Reports out that Sean Miller will not be coaching Arizona tonight at Oregon.

Last edited by cdj; 02-24-2018 at 03:37 PM.

#BringBackNCAAFootball

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...amid-fbi-probe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    #BringBackNCAAFootball

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...amid-fbi-probe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its NOT complicated when/if NCAA allows EA to pay players something of value for the right to use their names/likeness in video games EA will be back IF they think the game could be profitable. I don't know how profitable it was in the past, I have my suspicions that it wasnt that profitable compared to Madden/FIFA but certainly more profitable than Rory/Live

Since this is apparently being considered due to the FBI investigation, I'm putting this in here.

It's not going all the way to outright paying every player, but potentially allowing players to have endorsements does seem to be the most promising way of getting NCAA Football back so far.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...to-pay-players

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Since this is apparently being considered due to the FBI investigation, I'm putting this in here.

It's not going all the way to outright paying every player, but potentially allowing players to have endorsements does seem to be the most promising way of getting NCAA Football back so far.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...to-pay-players

*boards hype train early and gets window seat*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    *boards hype train early and gets window seat*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's super extremely optimistic of me, but I would love to see NCAA Basketball make a comeback again. I actually came across my 360 copies of College Hoops 2K8 and NCAA Basketball 10 today. I am absolutely planning on diving into them in the coming weeks with March Madness about to start.