Thread: Coaches want to allow redshirts to play without losing eligibility

• Facebook
  • Display

Coaches want to allow redshirts to play without losing eligibility

Some of these proposals sound good, others not so much IMO.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A proposal that would allow players to appear in up to four games without losing their redshirt status received "unanimous support at all levels" during this week's American Football Coaches Association convention, director Todd Berry said Wednesday.

"Current rules say that, barring medical reasons, any game appearance during the season would cost a player a year of eligibility."

Several leagues, including the ACC, have put forward proposals after the idea received widespread support from coaches last year, and Berry said the prospects for NCAA passage of the rule could happen as soon as April.

Berry was asked what potential opposition to the proposal there may be, and signaled he expected little.

"This needs to pass," he said. "I don't know that there is [a counterargument]."

Berry cited the fact that scholarship limits have been reduced and the schedule has expanded since redshirt rules were first adopted, putting schools in potentially problematic situations late in seasons when injuries have thinned out a position group and coaches are forced to pull a player's redshirt for just a game or two. He also said that data suggests players struggle more academically and emotionally during a redshirt season, and the prospects of late-season playing time could have a positive impact.

"Emotionally it's the most difficult, academically it's the most difficult, because you don't feel like you're included on the team, and you've been a part of this all your life," Berry said.

The proposal will be presented to the NCAA later this month, and if it is allowed to proceed from there, it could be adopted by a vote in April, making the new rule effective for the upcoming season.

Berry said there was some discussion of making the rule retroactive as well, though the current ACC proposal does not include that caveat.

In addition to the potential changes to redshirting rules, coaches also discussed revisiting the penalties, including ejections, for targeting, reducing the number of days available for unofficial visits for recruits in the spring, extending the window for preseason practices and the potential for transfers to move schools without sitting out, an idea which received little support from coaches.

My nephew plays football for the University of Manitoba and I think they can play in 1 or 2 games without burning a redshirt (I think it may just be 1 game in Canada). I know medical reshirts can apply for 2 games or less but 3+ counts as a season.

The fact that coaches can leave willy-nilly but they’re against players doing the same is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    The fact that coaches can leave willy-nilly but they’re against players doing the same is ridiculous.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post

In an article that came out today, a committee is supposedly looking into possibly changing that as well.

I don't like these changes but its a transparent attempt to hold off paying the players (in addition to their tuition/books/meals/clothes/etc....).

Yo don’t even have to pay the players above scholarship to balance it out. Just let the kids sell their likeness. Let the star players sign endorsement deals and it will take care of itself. The average college player won’t see any extra money and doesn’t really deserve it. But the stars and great players will be able to get extra money. Even if the NCAA paid them a little more it would be a tiny amount if forced to play every scholarship player across the board and then it opens Title IX questions or equity questions for the other sport. Seems like an easy fix to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Yo don’t even have to pay the players above scholarship to balance it out. Just let the kids sell their likeness. Let the star players sign endorsement deals and it will take care of itself. The average college player won’t see any extra money and doesn’t really deserve it. But the stars and great players will be able to get extra money. Even if the NCAA paid them a little more it would be a tiny amount if forced to play every scholarship player across the board and then it opens Title IX questions or equity questions for the other sport. Seems like an easy fix to me.
    You are 100% DEAD WRONG. You claim only the stars would earn money but that is not how it would pan out. Take any "big" program say - well every player would/could ease some serious coin by selling their "likeness" by simply signing autographs on posters, footballs, etc.... to the 1% high money donors (like myself).

You claim noone would buy them but your dead wrong. Last year I saw people buying up all kinds of autograph pictures of Perine and other players who were far from stars.

Schools would also peddle selling autographs of the entire team to give "lesser" players in on the action for recruiting purposes. How much $ do you think an autographed helmet would bring from the entire team or 1 helmet for the offense starters and 1 helmet for the defense?

They would probably sell like hot cakes for $500 - $1000 a pop no problem.

I'm all for these kids being clothed, fed, having the best medical treatment, tutoring etc.... but when the inevitable (at this point) these kids all start signing deals for thousands of dollars and up and are free agents that can switch to schools who offer them more money and they can play immediately I'll be out out of college athletics completely.

There would also have to be some sort of 'cap' or rules in place to prevent players being drawn (even more so) to large markets where they would command larger deals. EX: Playing in USC, Texas, Miami, even Lincoln, would pay far more for say, a car dealership endorsement, than it would in Corvallis, Ames, or Ypsilanti. Sure, it prevents 'fair market value,' but I think that is necessary to help keep things on a relatively level playing field ("parity") which many clamor for. (Personally, not a big fan of 'parity' for parity's sake. I do think many proposals for paying players would all but squash non-Power Five schools, however....and maybe even some of them, too. I'd rather not see that happen.)

Unless it becomes the proverbial wild west with no regulations (the teams, conferences, and NCAA aren't going to go for that), this would only grow ALL of those organizations as they would claim they must monitor and watch these deals for 'fairness.' I'd rather go for anything that shrinks the NCAA, if not all three of these groups.