Thread: The Game Awards 2017

• Facebook
  • Display

The Game Awards 2017

Hmmm....

The dude abides.

Caught most of the show.

I thought it was OK/well done, but there's typically no sports games shown and I had hopes Rocksteady would announce a new DC game here, but no dice. If I had known that otherwise, I wouldn't have stayed up late watching.

Its a train wreck every year. The guy that hosts really cares but then you get EA's cocaine guy or some other stupid incident every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Its a train wreck every year. The guy that hosts really cares but then you get EA's cocaine guy or some other stupid incident every single year.
    Ha, I did catch that guy. While some loved it, I thought it was awkward and inappropriate. Gotta think that puckered some seats at EA.

In the same vein, Polygon talked about the best sports games of the year and had some great things to say about NBA Live:

"I think, if we were talking about Sports Game of the Year in the Time magazine style — not necessarily an honorific, but the most impactful title — then we might be giving it to NBA Live 18. Yes, really."

https://www.polygon.com/2017-best-ga...fa-nba-2k-live
    The dude abides.

More on Live:

I do not suggest that it is close to NBA 2K18 in depth of experience or overall quality. But its career mode, The One, is very good, and smartly differentiated from MyCareer in that player progression cannot be bought for real money. EA had a rough year, especially with Battlefront 2’s bungled loot boxes, but the company has generally done right by EA Sports customers — it has pulled off microtransactions in Ultimate Team without angering its core fan base, and has kept loot boxes confined to that mode.

It sounds ridiculous that this is a thing to celebrate, but for the past decade, we’ve all said that if EA Sports is to make a competitive basketball product, it needs to take on the NBA 2K franchise’s weaknesses — and it does have weaknesses. 2K’s online stability and its intimidatingly deep and complicated gameplay have long presented opportunities for a competitor. But EA Tiburon couldn’t get its ass on straight in any mode of play to address them. Now it has, with The One.

Further, The One highlights how microtransacted its competitor is. The rest of the game is rote, and I was disappointed by the bare-bones treatment given to NBA Live 18’s franchise mode — especially the throwaway inclusion of the WNBA, which doesn’t even have the team names in the commentary. But there is, at long last, a foundation for this franchise.
    The dude abides.

I think some of those comments are very fair re: LIVE 18. Franchise Mode (and even standard NBA gameplay) are very barebones and WNBA inclusion is basic as well, with no post-release support worth mentioning. While adding in extra clothing rewards for LIVE Events is cool, they seem to be confusing repetition with depth.

I think Live is a solid game outside of the points in the paint. Have they toned down the cpu driving relentlessly? I just don’t see a real positive for the franchise player to choose Live over 2K. They even dropped the Play Now games of the night. I like to do that with 2K.

Personally For Honor is my game of the year. I haven’t played it in a few months but the first 6 months I was addicted and played every day. Great strategy. Needs a couple new cool modes to keep it fresh. Finally adding dedicated servers and that would have helped.

I found HZD to be my disappointment of the year. I didn’t like the movement, all the rpg elements and how stealth based the combat was. I was expecting Uncharted with dinosaurs and it wasn’t that at all.