Thread: NBA 2K18 - General Discussion & Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display

NBA 2K18 - General Discussion & Impressions

Now that the Prelude is available and retail next week, use this thread to discuss the game.

While I thought the LIVE facescan app didn't improve as much as I'd like, the 2K18 facescan app is complete trash.

Xbox One users are running into issues where their career files are becoming corrupted.

Curious to read people's thoughts on the animations being less heavy in 2K.

So I just picked this up at half price. Played one game of NBA Today with the Pistons at the Thunder. Unfortunately I lost on Pro by 6 but the real Pistons won.

After one game I have some thoughts compared to Live. Live looks better or more realistic than 2K. 2K is very cartoony and Andre Drummond’s head looks like a bobblehead at times. The faces are done very well though. Now that is first glance. 2K feels more dynamic and realistic in terms of movement and animations. I did find the Default speed slow so I increased that for a better feel. I like the animations and how loose balls happen organically. I think both games punish contested shots too much. The shot meter is very different and I struggled with it.

Presentation is really good. I still need to learn all the controls. This game is deep and I think the long lasting appeal will be good. Live was always fun but then most games end up feeling the same over time. With no Play Now games mimicking that nights games and the lack of roster edits, Live doesn’t feel supported or diverse enough. Teams pounded the paint far too often and played too similarly. I think 2K will be a lot better here.

I still think Live is better than some say but the writing on the wall is clear. It’s not supported enough and the Series will be done soon. Will play more 2K and learn the game. The game really felt like an NBA game.

Took Houston against Celtics and blew a 13point lead and lost by two. Celtics offence was impressive. Lots of ball movement, screens and diversity. NBA Live stands around way too much on offence compared to this game. Aaron Baynes looks awful though. About the only thing they have right is he is white lol. So many players look great so why does he look so bad? I do love how the presentation includes up to date current stats.

Too many missed layups and shots around the basket imo. I had read the timing was different for that shot. Not quite sure what I’m doing wrong. Big men need to dunk a bit more around the rim too. Maybe I need to use the shot stick more?

This game is tough with the shooting meter. Sometimes I don’t see it. And each player has a different speed. Luke Kennard has a very quick release while others are slower. I lost by 25 to the Raptors with the Pistons. Shot only 30%. This is in Pro! The Pistons offence stands around quite a bit but I don’t know if I have to call a play. The play calling isn’t too bad. Bring up player icon, select player and the Type of play. Live was a bit quicker with one les button press but I had to learn that online because the game didn’t explain. Catch and shoots are quicker and better in 2K.

The biggest reasons I preferred Live over 2K in the past (Live 10 and Live 16) were the responsive and easy dribble commands on the r-stick, my annoyance with animations taking over too much in 2K and better floor spacing in Live. All of those issues were addressed with 2K18. I don't feel animations are taking any control away, dribble moves are sweet even if I'm still half in the dark and floor spacing is good. Dynamic loose balls off steals and blocks are done well. And most importantly, this title is supported. To not have roster edits or accurate rosters in Live really ended up bothering me. The lack of player movement by the cpu and the heavy points in the paint as PGs just drove the lane for every team also bugged me a lot.

This will be my game of choice. I don't see a reason to go back to Live. Live was fun and is still a good pick up and play game but I no longer see the positives of the game over 2K. And knowing I will have roster downloads and support for 2K is huge.
    Last edited by Rudy; 11-30-2017 at 09:35 AM.

The sheer number of announcers in this game is crazy! The commentary and presentation is hard to top by anyone.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...u1jjk3up9qzacl

This game is a ton of fun. It's fresh for me since I've never been an NBA 2K fan. Right now I can't find anything in Live that I prefer over 2K even though I don't think Live is a bad game. It's just shallow compared to this. Did Live even bring back NBA Today? Don't understand why that disappeared. Played some Raptors-Clippers in 2K this morning. Loved this Derozan dunk!

Any speculation that users may be growing tired of VC or other recurring practices in NBA 2K might need put to rest. At the least, it would seem that for anyone who has put the game down, many more are hopping on in their place.

It is a great game for me. Two biggest complaints are how "contested" works. Very late close outs or a defender being off to the side or behind you get too much credit for contesting a shot imo. Also, pump fake never works against the cpu and this is a big part of basketball. My personal 1 on 1 defense sucks too lol.

Haven't spent a dime on VC and don't care about those individual modes. NBA Today is great and will finally start a franchise after the trade deadline at some point.

Well I finally started a franchise after the trade deadline and the new look Pistons are 0-4 in my 29 game season. Ouch. Shooting only 26% from downtown and my turnovers are killing me. Of all the slider issues in the game I think NBA 2K on All-Star is incredibly well balanced except for steals. It's the one area where any adjustment I make is different from me to the cpu. My guys have butter fingers and seem to lose the ball easily compared to the cpu. Going to have to tweak that.

Just went through the entire offseason of franchise. Overall I think the franchise is very well done. Trades, free agency and drafting were good except for draft day trading logic. It is beyond terrible. It is so bad I’m calling it broken. I was shocked by how awful it was.

Cleveland had the much celebrated Nets pick which was #6. They traded it for Dwight Howard! Marvin Bagley went 3rd overall to the Jazz (who traded Gobert and Favors to get the third pick - wow) and rated an 80. Apparently they had remorse since I started drafting at #12 and they offered me Bagley for that pick and a swap of backup PFs rated 70-75)! Why would they ever do that!? Terrible! Heat drafted Ayton high and then peddle him away for the 15th pick and a player. It’s as though the cpu immediately under values the draft pick as soon as they take him.

For everyone raving about 2K franchise I’m just shocked at how awful the draft day trading is.

Last edited by Rudy; 03-17-2018 at 07:53 AM.

That is precisely the reason I turn on the option to approve/veto CPU trades. I just decline/refuse all CPU to CPU trades (unless they make sense) to keep that kind of stuff from happening. It makes the draft sort of boring since it's nothing but picks instead of occasional trades mixed in.

I'm going to have to do that next year. I think the trades during the season are fine but these draft day trades were beyond terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I'm going to have to do that next year. I think the trades during the season are fine but these draft day trades were beyond terrible.
    Yeah, it sucks having to do it since it basically forces you to police the league rather than just focus on your team, but it's better than all those awful trades going through.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk