Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA LIVE 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display
    From OS: I didn't realize you could use the quick plays for specific players. EA needs to educate the people that have the game more. I'm still lost on the post moves too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fist Of Kings View Post
    You can call quick plays for a specific player by double tapping one of the directional buttons, then the icon button of the player.

up,up + ___ player icon = isolates the player
    left,left + ___ player icon = makes player cut
    right,right + ___ player icon = makes player do a screen
    down,down + ___ player icon = makes player post up

I was just goofing around in practice mode when I found out about this.

First off I'd like to thank the gaming tailgate for the copy I won. The game is OK I guess. I try not to compare it to 2k but its so hard. You can tell that they are trying tho. They just have to get the mechanics right. Also would like to see more spacing on the floor. Seemed a little clustered for me playing the online park mode.

From what I have read from reviews the game just isn't up to snuff again compared with their competition. At this point, the suits have to 100% be considering cancelling the series and laying the Live employees off as its just a better business decision than to continue to put out an inferior product that does not sell.

I think most reviews of the gameplay have been positive. The general thinking has been surprisingly good but not as deep as 2K. The franchise mode and lack of roster editing has been hammered though. I think some people just want a change. With the ore order sales I am curious to see sales numbers for the game.

My daughter likes basketball and actually asked to play a game with me last night. So we played a WNBA all star game and she had fun. First time I used the WNBA teams. No dunks is the main difference and I don't think there is a half time show either. I didn't hit a button to skip and it didn't show up.

From OS, this poster has continues to find good things in the controls. It looks like you can choose your P&R partner when nobody thought it was possible. Same with the quick plays and being able to choose who they are for. The one thing EA has really screwed up is not having a good social media member that can explain more things. WTF is a game changer and he does almost all the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fist Of Kings View Post
    Turns out you can pick your screener. Hold the screen button(LB on xbox one) + hold the left stick towards the player you want to set the screen.

That feature is correct/true, but is bugged - at least on PS4.

The pass icon will be under one player, but when you hold down L1 for the screen someone else will come up and set it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't quite figured out the logic behind it yet (if there is any).

I keep having trouble going into The One Career. I can play Live Run, but if I go into the career mode it gives me an error and closes the game out. I forget the error but will check later on tonight.

CDJ, I played a little lastnight but wasn't able to get on until much later after 10. Game still had to finish downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I keep having trouble going into The One Career. I can play Live Run, but if I go into the career mode it gives me an error and closes the game out. I forget the error but will check later on tonight.

CDJ, I played a little lastnight but wasn't able to get on until much later after 10. Game still had to finish downloading.
    I don't think Shop got free until after 9:30 and I missed his invite by a minute, so I just finished the Pro-Am Tour Events last night. My player is now up to an 88 OVR and I am currently #54 on the leaderboards (311K).

Let me know if that error keeps up. I know XB1 users have an issue with The League, but haven't heard anything on the PS4 side. If it keeps up, I'll pass it on to see what can be figured out.

Yeah one issue I think may have caused it is that I deleted the Demo before downloading/installing the retail copy. All of my stuff transferred over fine but if I try to do any other stuff related to The One with my player that errors seems to occur. At first I thought it was because I didn't have the game fully installed yet. Then I tried it again after game was installed.

Will do other tests but may have to delete my guy and start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Yeah one issue I think may have caused it is that I deleted the Demo before downloading/installing the retail copy. All of my stuff transferred over fine but if I try to do any other stuff related to The One with my player that errors seems to occur. At first I thought it was because I didn't have the game fully installed yet. Then I tried it again after game was installed.

Will do other tests but may have to delete my guy and start from scratch.
    You may want to try re-downloading the demo, trying your guy there, then trying him in the retail version before deleting the demo.

I like the new uniforms they added. I really hope they patch in roster editing but I doubt it.

Just played a game and I still see a lot of driving to the lane but I think there can be fixes on EAs end as well as our own end.

1. CPU will drive to the hoop whenever they think they can. So you have to play good defence on the ball. If you manually defend the PG you better have good defensive skills or switch off and let the CPU play defence for you.

2. Jostle vs Blow by slider is too ineffective. If you play with this slider there isn't a big difference between 0 and 100 imo. EA needs to be clear on what you need to do to improve on ball defence and help defenders stop people from driving too easily. At the same time, there has to be some randomness to this as we don't want people to never be able to drive the lane. Maybe we need to reduce dribble move effectiveness. Either way a slider maxed out should act as a brick wall for getting into the lane. Make it more powerful!

3. Coaching settings make a difference. I played against Westbrook on the Thunder. My default settings were playing over on all screens and auto on pressure which usually means tight. He drove all the time. I then set the defence to Loose and Under on screens and he stopped driving and started firing threes. Didn't really help the mid range game but did cause them to shoot more threes. Maybe EA needs to randomize how loose defenders play and back off more if the points in the paint start piling up.

Just played against Houston and 36 of their 60 points were in the paint. This is one of the highest volume 3 point shooting teams with a lower paint percentage. The average team is just over 40% so they shouldn't be around 60%. EA has to tweak the drive percentages as teams aren't playing to their style and the mid range game is non existent.

Also, CPU at end of games needs to be smarter and more realistic. Houston beat me by 12 so why is a player heaving a full length shot as time expires? No NBA player would do that when they would just hold on to the ball.

The commentary wasn't updated very much at all. I hear a lot of similar lines from Live 16. It's not bad. Some lines make me laugh but most are recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Just played against Houston and 36 of their 60 points were in the paint. This is one of the highest volume 3 point shooting teams with a lower paint percentage. The average team is just over 40% so they shouldn't be around 60%. EA has to tweak the drive percentages as teams aren't playing to their style and the mid range game is non existent.

Also, CPU at end of games needs to be smarter and more realistic. Houston beat me by 12 so why is a player heaving a full length shot as time expires? No NBA player would do that when they would just hold on to the ball.
    There's no mid-range game and late-game/comeback AI is definitely still an issue.

As you mentioned with Houston, play a game against them and look at the shot chart afterwards. IRL, the vast majority of their shots are beyond the arc with most of the remainder inside. In the game, they are not shooting much from outside.

Trailing in games, it seems the CPU doesn't make adjustments fast enough for a potential comeback. For example, they should go full-court to try and get some steals, but they stay in the same D until very late in games, usually when it is all but over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    The commentary wasn't updated very much at all. I hear a lot of similar lines from Live 16. It's not bad. Some lines make me laugh but most are recycled.
    I hope in the future they get a new commentary team. Breen and Van Gundy are good in real life, but in the game it came make for some very dry moments.

While it's a very small sample size, Live definitely is looked favorably upon when it comes to faces, skin textures and lighting. Now they just have to somehow break down the mentality that the gameplay is still shit, that so many people still think of the game.

https://www.facebook.com/pastapadre/...55881613669073

If they can start to win over people in the gameplay department, and keep further shoring up and refining the gameplay in the game, they could slowly turn back into a true challenger to NBA 2K. They already are given a leg up in the looks department by some of the gaming public, now they just need to win them over on the court.

They have to reduce the driving to the hole and points in paint imo. More screens and pick and roll/pop. The games feel too similar right now and the patch did nothing in this department from what I’m reading. I preferred Live 10 and Live 16 over the 2K versions but the cpu offences are bugging me. Will be taking a break for Shadow of War soon so I can be patient. If they are still doing Synergy maybe that will fix it when the season gets going.

Kind of a cool reward (finally) with the Wilkins throwback, but personally the rare tattoos are not enticing. Whenever they make up 2/5+ of the reward crate, I find myself not wanting to play it.

NBA Live is only C$30 over here right now. Sales are probably horrible and I expect that EA will pull the plug on this series after Christmas. With no roster editing it won’t even keep a niche following. Hope I’m wrong but I can’t see this series surviving any longer on consoles.

Always take Vgchartz with a grain of salt but if their numbers are correct for the first two weeks.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/195579/nba-live-18/Global/

PS4 - 39,000

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/195580/nba-live-18/Global/

Xbox One - 28,000

Same time frame (two weeks) for NBA 2K18

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/174555/nba-2k18/Global/

PS4 - 792,000

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/174554/nba-2k18/Global/

Xbox One - 431.000

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/174556/nba-2k18/Global/

Switch - 17,000

And this is with Live being discounted at $39.99 for pre-orders.

Can't find any PR from EA but 2K seems happy with sales, up to November.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/07/n...-57-from-2016/

Publisher 2K Games, a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive, revealed that it has sold more than 6 million copies of NBA 2K18 into retail. It notes that sell-in as well as sell-through to consumers have both grown over 20 percent compared to NBA 2K17.

spending on microtransactions, downloadable content, and season passes jumping 57 percent year-over-year for the NBA 2K series.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-10-2017 at 06:24 PM.

I see no future for this series. The sales are just too bad.