Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA LIVE 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NBA LIVE 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

Now that the game is available on EA Access and on retail next Friday, feel free to use this thread to discuss the game.

From reading impressions from EA Access members, here seems to be some of the prevailing takeaways:

- Gameplay vastly improved from previous LIVEs
    - Presentation and visuals are great
    - Franchise improved, but no online or connected component
    - No roster or player editing is a big L, but there's some speculation it could be patched in.
    - While some Madden fans get frustrated that too many resources may be going into MUT, some LIVE fans wish LUT would get more. No Draft Champions or Salary Cap mode added, also no sets/collections. Appears the same as 16.

Also, one has to wonder if Irma changed some marketing plans or if EA's marketing mailed it in down the stretch. Little to no effort from them since the demo release, including - to date - no official blogs or info on Franchise Mode or Ultimate Team. People are having to play EA Access (or read impressions from those who have it) to learn what is new or exists in these modes.
    Last edited by cdj; 09-07-2017 at 07:43 PM.

I pre-ordered this game with a nice promotion at EB Games. They are doing double trade value dollars for September. So I got $50 for Horizon Zero Dawn and Live 18 is $53.59 over here that that paid for it. Will have impressions next weekend.

I find it a lot harder to drive past players in Live 18 All-Star than Live 16. My dribble moves need work though. And I have no clue on how to do moves in the post. The demo did not have any good tutorials in these areas.

Disappointed in lack of roster edits. For me it's not a big deal until the offseason where control and edits are huge.

Some detailed controls including quick coach calls.

http://www.gosunoob.com/nba-live-18/controls-list/

I will have a retail copy tomorrow and have been told there is no embargo.

Any requests for screens, info, videos, impressions, etc. are more than welcome.

Chris, I have hot geeen on the shot meter pretty easily in the demo lately. Kind of hoping that 100% make is toned down. The mid range game could be a little better but I've had a lot of fun with the demo.

What difficulty do you play on, Rudy? I wouldn't say I have green mastered on LIVE, but do hit it way more on LIVE than on 2K18 Prelude. I've played quite a bit online and in my experience, the lag is just enough I don't think I have hit a green yet in LIVE Run.

All star. Last two games of demo I must have hit green ten times each.

I am pretty annoyed with the green meter. That does not incorporate ratings at all and makes it too easy and feast/famine. I hope it's not as easy in the retail version. Going to try Superstar to see if it's harder.

Edit - just hit green 5 times in the first quarter on superstar. I like seeing the green but who decided making it 100% was a good idea? It's not.
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-13-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I am pretty annoyed with the green meter. That does not incorporate ratings at all and makes it too easy and feast/famine. I hope it's not as easy in the retail version. Going to try Superstar to see if it's harder.

Edit - just hit green 5 times in the first quarter on superstar. I like seeing the green but who decided making it 100% was a good idea? It's not.
    I haven't been able to master the green timing yet, but most of my playing so far has been with my created player who isn't a very good shooter.

From what I gather, the '100% green' was a response to those who played 16 and would see a very high percentage, but the shot not go in. They didn't understand why that was, so LIVE is copying 2K where you can hit a perfect release and it will always go in.

I'm not a huge fan of it either as 1) basketball players never know 100% a shot is going in when it leaves their hands and 2) even a perfect shot IRL (perfect form & release) isn't 100% going in.

JB currently with some copies of the game to give away:

Nice!

I have played two games of the retail version on 6 minute quarters. Got beat by 25 using Pistons against Raptors. Then I lost by over ten with Rockets against Cavs as I wanted to see more clearly the difference between the demo and retail.

Retail is harder on all star imo. It also seems more centered around points in the paint. Derozan and Lebron were beasts getting to the hole. Drives to the basket seem too easily rewarded if not blocked. Will be tweaking some sliders. I felt there were more steals and maybe more alley oops tried by the CPU. Offensive rebounding seemed a bit strong but it's only two games. I hate seeing offensive boards on free throws too. Especially since most NBA players don't even try on them.

Overall I'm happy. Using EA Sideline camera now which I like better than the other zoomed out version because you can see easier on fast breaks with how the camera rotates out.

I've complained about the green shot meter although that is tied a bit too strongly to the shot contest (and shot off dribble) sliders. Drop them too much and the green gets too easy. I still think wide open vs contested is too wide a gap.

Had a lot of fun. With TWolves vs Charlotte. Lots of points in the paint. Frank K didn't do much for them except get dunked on.

The cpu is too quick to sub out starters. At one point I had 4 on the bench. At least leave one of my top scorers on the floor please! Or if I have auto subs I would like to see the menu pop up at whistles so I can over ride and not have to call a timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    The cpu is too quick to sub out starters. At one point I had 4 on the bench. At least leave one of my top scorers on the floor please! Or if I have auto subs I would like to see the menu pop up at whistles so I can over ride and not have to call a timeout.
    I'm not a fan of the CPU sub patterns either. Even in the demo, LeBron would get pulled at the start of the second quarter and typically only return very late, just before halftime.

It feels like the user (demo too) is better at shooting 3s than the CPU but the CPU is better inside, particularly in the post. I think I am 1-5 on all star in retail now. Definitely harder than the demo.

Edit: just played Pistons against Pistons and I kept I close to about 20-20 and ended up losing 75-50. Reggie Jackson on their team scored 43 on 19-21 shooting and hit all 4 shots from downtown. Just had his way with my team.
    Last edited by Rudy; 09-16-2017 at 08:05 AM.

I need to start using the "pack the paint" defence (double tap up in dpad) as I get shredded sometimes.

Here are what the badges mean. Personally I find the badges too small and similar to pay attention to them too much.

https://www.easports.com/nba-live/the-one/playstyles

I just thought that the other day, Rudy. Too small and no clue what they mean.