Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Madden NFL 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display
    They may come as a surprise but Madden 18 is satisfying my football game itch. After playing through LongShot, I restarted my player franchise as Devin Wade. I don’t find the team building aspects of Franchise to be nearly as fun as in NCAA’s Dynasty mode so playing as a player only lets me do just the dub part, playing football. I play on Pro and the game is still a challenge. DBs are ridiculously good at closing passing windows and making picks. I’m surprisingly happy with my $18 purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    They may come as a surprise but Madden 18 is satisfying my football game itch. After playing through LongShot, I restarted my player franchise as Devin Wade. I don’t find the team building aspects of Franchise to be nearly as fun as in NCAA’s Dynasty mode so playing as a player only lets me do just the dub part, playing football. I play on Pro and the game is still a challenge. DBs are ridiculously good at closing passing windows and making picks. I’m surprisingly happy with my $18 purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're a better man than me. Though I also liked Longshot, the CFM has just killed my love of video game football. It's by far the least interesting, least detailed, least connected franchise mode of any sports game on consoles. How many years have we asked for a half time show? How many years have we asked for formation subs in special teams? How many years have we asked for an enriching and enhanced draft? How many years have we asked for playoff games to feel different from regular season games? Why are there no rpg elements to free agency? etc. etc. etc. As a 10+ year MADDEN game I want to love MADDEN again but I just can't do it.

Soulja I'm glad that you can get some enjoyment out of the game. I agree with you that LONGSHOT is a total success. I also think Madden plays a solid game of football. I just wish franchise mode was FUN!

Madden NFL 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    You're a better man than me. Though I also liked Longshot, the CFM has just killed my love of video game football. It's by far the least interesting, least detailed, least connected franchise mode of any sports game on consoles. How many years have we asked for a half time show? How many years have we asked for formation subs in special teams? How many years have we asked for an enriching and enhanced draft? How many years have we asked for playoff games to feel different from regular season games? Why are there no rpg elements to free agency? etc. etc. etc. As a 10+ year MADDEN game I want to love MADDEN again but I just can't do it.

Soulja I'm glad that you can get some enjoyment out of the game. I agree with you that LONGSHOT is a total success. I also think Madden plays a solid game of football. I just wish franchise mode was FUN!
    I tried doing an owner mode team building franchise in Madden 17. I did all the contracts and drafting and whatnot but I would sim the games. That’s when I realized that team building just isn’t as fun in Madden as it is in NCAA, at least not to me. Playing just as a player in Madden 18 has made this experience far more enjoyable as my only concern is the football game itself and not juggling the cap and hoping I have the funds for signing bonuses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I tried doing an owner mode team building franchise in Madden 17. I did all the contracts and drafting and whatnot but I would sim the games. That’s when I realized that team building just isn’t as fun in Madden as it is in NCAA, at least not to me. Playing just as a player in Madden 18 has made this experience far more enjoyable as my only concern is the football game itself and not juggling the cap and hoping I have the funds for signing bonuses.

If you want an in-depth experience building a franchise in the NFL, I highly recommend the text-based sim Front Office Football (Steam). It has everything that Franchise Mode does not.

In fact, for a year or so about 15 years ago, FOF was published by EA. In that year, Madden got some serious FM updates and it never really has since.

There is also a college version of FOF but I've never played it and I'm not sure how up-to-date it has been kept (I believe only one version was ever released but has had some updates).

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    If you want an in-depth experience building a franchise in the NFL, I highly recommend the text-based sim Front Office Football (Steam). It has everything that Franchise Mode does not.

In fact, for a year or so about 15 years ago, FOF was published by EA. In that year, Madden got some serious FM updates and it never really has since.

There is also a college version of FOF but I've never played it and I'm not sure how up-to-date it has been kept (I believe only one version was ever released but has had some updates).
    I'm surprised to hear that you play text simulators Matt. What makes this so good?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I'm surprised to hear that you play text simulators Matt. What makes this so good?
    I used to play a bunch of them but haven't in probably 15 years (aside from one year of giving Football Manager a go). However, I recently got the itch to play FOF again and so I bought the most recent version (FOF 8?).

Anyhow FOF is just very, very in depth.

Check out the website and it should give you an idea of it's for you.

http://www.solecismic.com/

I tried to start a coach mode dynasty but it doesn’t seem possible. 🤦🏾*♂️ Maybe next year.