Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display

Madden NFL 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

The game is expected to be available via EA Access as soon as Wednesday afternoon.

Use this thread to discuss the game and share thoughts once it is available.

I will DL and play the 10 hours and provide detailed impressions... but there is ZERO chance I buy this year. Lack of CFM updates is inexcusable IMO.

It's ALWAYS an easy for me - if I find a decent group of guys for a CFM (and its playable) I'll stay. If not back to GameFly you go.

I played a little tonight and have a few brief thoughts...

Pros
    -visuals are stunning, especially helmets and colour rush unis
    -intros are fairly well done
    -commentary continues to improve
    -holding Rb "skinny" feature works well
    -sun reflecting off helmets... Wow!
    -Chargers stadium looks excellent
    -blocking seems better.... Easy to run up the gut but not so much outside

Cons
    -sidelines are terrible as ever
    -really hate how the score banner at the top says what mode I play
    -normal speed is just too fast IMO
    -coach suggestions are trash as per usual
    -IMO too many CPU jukes during runs
    -CPU QB's hold onto the ball to long and sacks are abundant
    -I don't like the passing game at all this year....

Pretty much what I expected re: gameplay.

Jaymo, what don't you like about the passing game? I haven't enjoyed this aspect lately and with sliders that don't work well became annoyed with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Jaymo, what don't you like about the passing game? I haven't enjoyed this aspect lately and with sliders that don't work well became annoyed with the game.
    The cpu zone D and man D are great and it's tough for me to hit the receivers. I find there is no space and cpu defenders break on the ball too quickly IMO so I have thrown a nuimber of INT's. I struggle getting the ball to my primary target so most stuff is crossing patterns. AS for pass D, human zone and man d are even softer than last year so good QB's will go 90% against you. I have only seen a few bad passes thus far.
    Last edited by jaymo76; 08-18-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Bottom line... if you like Madden 17 you will like this game. 18 is a little more (but not much) polished version of 17. It looks better and the run game seems improved and the pass game is more challenging. I have yet to play longshot but I will today. I will also look at CFM but as there is nothing improved upon (substantial) I'm not too worried about it.

Intros are an improvement but they do seem a bit disjointed. Also I hate seeing sellouts for preseason games.

I ended the game with 8 sacks. Goff was awful but he also didn't throw the ball away.

I really love the stats during the highlight show... O across the board. Plus they still only have QB's and RB's. This 0 glitch is because the starters are pulled at the end of the 1st half (in week two of pre season)

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    The cpu zone D and man D are great and it's tough for me to hit the receivers. I find there is no space and cpu defenders break on the ball too quickly IMO so I have thrown a nuimber of INT's. I struggle getting the ball to my primary target so most stuff is crossing patterns. AS for pass D, human zone and man d are even softer than last year so good QB's will go 90% against you. I have only seen a few bad passes thus far.
    I wish we had better sliders to customize the game better.

Forgot to mention that the cpu definitely enjoys going deep. Each game I am burned with at least one LONG cpu QB completion.

Good lord if its like 17 the CPU secondary is swiss cheese. My problem with playing against the CPU has always been "robo QB" which is your 2nd complaint.

It's a sad day when I'm more excited and can't wait for the new F1 racing game to release on Friday the 25th over the release of Madden.

Honestly, unless I score a free copy from somewhere, until they completely overhaul and actually pay attention to CFM, this game is pretty much on my instant skip list in recent years and into the future. The only reason I've played Madden the last couple years is because I was given a free copy.

Otherwise, Madden just isn't on my radar anymore. The gameplay still needs a lot of work and CFM is the only mode that holds any interest to me. If they're going to essentially ignore CFM, then I'm going to ignore the game as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I played Longshot last night for one hour. The story locks at that point if you have EA ACCESS so I cannot finish it until Madden 18 goes into the Vault. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the mode. The story and development are very well done. Apparently the mode is only three hours but the hour I played was very interesting.

I learned a valuable lesson this morning.... if you highlight a player, when the ball snaps he will not move unless you control him. So if you play a DB, you better be prepared to run the zone/man coverage because unlike previous years, your player will simply sit there.

I played Longshot last night for one hour. The story locks at that point if you have EA ACCESS so I cannot finish it until Madden 18 goes into the Vault. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the mode. The story and development are very well done. Apparently the mode is only three hours but the hour I played was very interesting.
    To reply to myself, I love the commentators in the high school game you play. They are freaking hilarious! This gives me hope that one day maybe two commentary teams will exist in madden CFM.

I appreciate what the devs were trying to do with targeted passing but I won't use it. Honestly, it's too tough for me as I find the players move to fast.

Angry

hi everyone.

I was able to play one game yesterday through EA ACCESS. There were only two interceptions in four quarters and two fumbles.

However, I had a funny situation:
    my pass (49ers) was intercepted at B7 and fumbled and recovered at B5 (by Team B - Cowboys). There was a booth review concerning the fumble. All done automatically. The result of the play should have been 1st down Cowboys at the 5 yard line. That's the rule.
    but..... EA Sports thinks: 4th and 65 at Cowboy's 5 yard line. Ball possession = Cowboys!!! I don't know if we should call this a bug. It's completely nonsense.

as I'm working as an official (football, NCAA) in my country I can't have fun with games and rules mistakes like this. The rules, especially in the NFL, are quite easy. If there was a flag (live ball and dead ball), ok. But EA has just a few fouls. Offside, False Start, Holding. Hardly ever Pass Interference. You are not able to throw the ball beyond the Line Of Scrimmage so that there could be a illegal pass beyond the neutral zone or something like that.

Graphics so far (NFL 18): nice
    Rules implementation: whack

are there any other rules misinterpretations?

Got back from work and game has downloaded, so far here are my impressions,

Graphics, Looks very nice! Frostbite does a nice job on Fifa and Battlefield, the uniforms look super crisp, lots of details. I'm excited to play a game in the rain to see how they get dirty and/or if the field gets torn up like it does in Fifa.

Music: rap is not my first choice, messing with MUT for about an hour I almost lost my mind trying to figure out how to turn off the rap music. If you like rap then you'll enjoy the music, but to me I can't really tell when one song ends and the next begins, it's just the same beat over and over. Kinda like listening to the Barney theme song over and over, makes you want to break something.

New passing mechanics, I learned this in the advanced drills and then took it to the practice field. I think this is pretty sweet, it's nice to be able to change your "go to WR (red WR)" at the LOS pre-snap. It's also nice to be able to lead them where you want on a pass, it's definitely going to take some practice, it can be difficult to scramble away from pressure while leading you WR all at the same time trying to time your pass. I was able to throw multiple interceptions attempting this new skill. I can see it might be very useful when scrambling or rolling out of the pocket, since they do give you this option, and if you master it there will be no more, "WHY THE HELL DID HE THROW IT THERE?"

MUT seems like it will be fun, there are more options to trade in/up cards for better cards, I didn't mess with it much in the past, now it seems to have some added features other than play collect, you can improve them as you go. I spent a decent amount of time trading in 60-64 silver players, 5 for a 65-69 ranked silver, then trading those higher silvers for a gold and so on and so forth.

I haven't gotten to play a game yet, work seems to get in the way, did notice it's HARD though on the skills challenges, I have it set on All Pro and it wants you to do simple things like break tackles w/ the HB, the CPU defender comes down and BIG HITS you ever time, not much breaking those tackles when I'm lying on my back.

So far so good.

Played my first user v user game vs my son tonight. I'm impressed, he also is impressed with the graphics. So far I can say this is a solid purchase.

Madden NFL 18 - General Discussion & Impressions

Hey, once you guys finish Longshot, look at the solo challenges in MUT. You're in for a sight for VERY sore eyes. Trust me.
    Last edited by xMrHitStickx904; 08-23-2017 at 05:40 AM.