• NCAA Football 14

by Published on 07-29-2021 09:33 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. NCAA Football 14,
    3. EA SPORTS College Football
    Article Preview

With the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas in the near future and more conference shake-ups likely, the Custom Conferences feature from NCAA Football may find itself being a necessary addition to the EA SPORTS College Football franchise sooner rather than later.

In NCAA Football 14, the feature allowed users to move teams among existing conferences (with conference size restrictions), import teambuilder teams, rename divisions, set BCS automatic qualifiers, as well as providing other options for the conference.

What options/improvements would you like to see in any future version of the Custom Conferences feature in EA SPORTS College Football?

Share your thoughts and ideas with the community and we'll highlight them in a future edition of The Gaming Tailgate Podcast. ...
    by Published on 06-24-2021 02:47 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. EA SPORTS,
    3. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

Journalist Ben Baskin and his 'Lost in Sports' podcast has devoted an episode to NCAA Football, focusing on the success of the franchise and also what led to its ultimate end.

The 40 minute show features clips from former dev team members Jeff Luhr and Dan Baker, as well as Sam Keller and Sonny Vaccaro, whose lawsuits targeted EA Sports claiming improper use of player likenesses.

Show description: For years, EA Sports produced an extremely popular, and extremely accurate, college football video game— with all the NCAA teams, stadiums, mascots, traditions, and, yes, the actual players. And then it was gone, leaving its cult fanbase enraged and fighting to keep the game alive. Ben explores the NCAA Football video game series, how it was made, why it went away, and how its loss exposed what it really means to be a college athlete.

Follow the link to listen to the show. ...
    by Published on 01-01-2021 08:09 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

A significant update to 'CFB Revamped' has brought updated UI, scorebug, menus, playcall screen, and loading screens to NCAA Football 14 that match this season's ESPN branding.

CFB Revamped helps keep NCAA Football 14 as current as possible with "updated jerseys, helmets, pants, fields, gloves, logos," and even teams as it has added Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina.

What is CFB Revamped? CFB Revamped is an update to NCAA Football ...
    by Published on 10-29-2019 11:45 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

Following legislation in California (and with more states likely to follow) allowing college athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness, the NCAA's Board of Governors board 'voted unanimously to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model.'

The working group will gather feedback through April and then refine its recommendations on the principles and regulatory framework. The board asked each division to create any new rules beginning immediately, but no later than January 2021.

Should the NCAA's ultimate legislation allow for the use of players in video games, it could not only open up for a return of the NCAA Football franchise, but also perhaps NCAA Basketball, College Hoops, and MVP NCAA Baseball, among other titles. It could also provide a boost to existing games such as Doug Flutie's Maximum Football.

Continue on to see the official press release from the NCAA as well as an article from ESPN on this news. ...
    by Published on 07-12-2018 07:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

As we pass the five-year mark of no NCAA Football, SB Nation's Richard Johnson takes a look at how no college football video game ultimately hurts the Madden NFL franchise, at least in one regard - namely, the option.

Throughout the years where EA Tiburon developed both NCAA Football and Madden NFL, gameplay aspects and features could be shared helping to make each game better. With the option being a part of the NCAA Football franchise dating back to its predecessor Bill Walsh College Football, the code and legwork has existed for EA to share and incorporate it into Madden NFL.

However, now that NCAA Football is on ice, the investment that would have been necessarily made for the plethora of teams that run some form of option football - traditional, RPO, spread, etc. - such as Georgia Tech, Navy, and Nebraska would have been added to Madden. Whereas now devoting the time for Madden to do solely for what amounts to situational (or gimmick) playcalls have proven not to be worth the monetary or time investment.

Johnson's article states that the Ravens with rookie QB Lamar Jackson will have zone-read plays in their playbook in Madden NFL 19.

Continue on to read some excerpts of the article, available here in full. ...
    by Published on 02-13-2018 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. EA SPORTS,
    3. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

As part of Court Justice: The Inside Story of My Battle Against the NCAA by Ed O'Bannon and Michael McCann, O'Bannon fires back at what he calls a ridiculous claim: that he is to blame for the end of college sports video games and namely the NCAA Football franchise.

"But the video game comment was the one that I got the most. To be honest, it kind of caught me off guard since it was so wrong and so ridiculous. Yes, it’s true that Electronic Arts stopped publishing college sports games after we led my lawsuit, but let’s think about the facts for a moment. ...

"If the NCAA had let EA pay us, all of you gamers out there would have your college sports games. So don’t blame me. Blame the NCAA for refusing to change its rules in the face of basic common sense, not to mention consumer demand."

It is worth nothing that under terms of the settlement, EA did not admit any wrongdoing. However, O'Bannon claims in this excerpt that EA "knew that it had used players’ images and likenesses without their permission."

Click here to read a larger excerpt of the book and how O'Bannon believes college sports video games could return to consoles. ...
    by Published on 07-15-2017 03:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

Four years after reporting exiting the EA SPORTS College Football franchise following the aftermath of the player likeness lawsuit settlement, the Ohio State University has been sued by former Buckeye two-time All-American Chris Spielman and other former players over the use of their player likenesses.

Courtesy The Columbus Dispatch: Spielman also said attaching his name to Honda puts him in a difficult situation given a separate sponsorship deal he has with a local Mazda dealership. Spielman said he is fine with Ohio State using his name and likeness for non-commercial purposes. “You can slap your name and logo on banners all you want,” he said. “But as soon as you slap a corporate logo on there, I have rights, in my opinion, to say yes or no, or to negotiate that.”

In 2013, Ohio State reportedly followed the lead of conferences such as the SEC, Pac-12, and Big Ten by withdrawing usage of their trademarks for what may have been known as EA SPORTS College Football 15 as they sought to minimize risks in potential future lawsuits over player likenesses. However, at least in the case of Ohio State, it appears they only made the move to save face at the time and did not have the interests of student-athletes at heart as they would engage in their own form of alleged player likeness infringement and face a lawsuit.

Continue on to read more on Spielman's class-action suit versus Ohio State. ...
    by Published on 07-12-2017 08:57 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. EA SPORTS,
    3. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

On the July 12, 2017 edition of The Bottom Line with Mike'l Severe, former Arizona State and Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller was asked about his lawsuit versus EA SPORTS and the NCAA which proved to the death knell - along with the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit - for the NCAA Football franchise in fall 2013.

When asked by Severe if he accomplished what he hoped to as part of the lawsuit, Keller responded "...I think we did. I enjoyed it and really got behind the principle of why." He went on to add that "My small part of it kind of brought some things to light and kicked things in motion, but it was a small part of a bigger, bigger battle. I think we shed some light on some things and definitely accomplished what we set out to do, but again it wasn't to be a world-changing thing."

The questions regarding the lawsuit were very topical given they came during the same week NCAA Football would have typically been released. However, one has to wonder what was truly accomplished given the debate over 'should players be paid; is a free education enough' (as Keller asks in the interview) have not been seriously answered or addressed by the NCAA, conferences, or member institutions. ...
    by Published on 06-20-2016 01:41 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. EA SPORTS,
    3. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

This time of year is always hard for the die-hard NCAA Football fans. Typically the game would be releasing in the next few weeks and by now, impressions & videos would be coming out of the woodwork making the wait even harder. However, with the absence of NCAA, EA is using this window to talk about the upcoming Madden NFL 17 due out in a couple of months. As part of that, Madden's Creative Director, Rex Dickson was doing an interview at E3. As part of that, the question was asked about the return of NCAA Football.

Continue below to hear his answer. ...
    by Published on 04-08-2016 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. NCAA Football 14
    Article Preview

In an interview with SI Now's Maggie Gray, Big East Commmissioner Val Ackerman stated that she believes the NCAA is currently reconsidering their stance on not allowing student athletes to sign endorsement deals.

Courtesy SI.com: Under the current rules, student athletes may not be paid for the use of their image or likeness or they would forfeit their amateur status and their collegiate eligibility could be affected. When Gray asked Ackerman why students shouldn’t be able to capitalize on the value they bring to their university, Ackerman responded that the NCAA is considering changing that rule.

“That’s one that’s actually under consideration I believe by the NCAA,” Ackerman said. “It’s actually a time right now where student athlete interests are being closely examined. I don’t have an answer for you on that one today but I will say that and a number of other topics are under review, and I think rightly by the NCAA and it’s very possible that over the course of the next year or two as these these ideas work their way through the legislative system you could see changes.”

On-going legislation includes the plaintiffs in the O'Bannon case petitioning the Supreme Court to hear their case and also the Kessler antitrust lawsuit versus the NCAA. ...
    Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast