• Madden NFL 16 Reveals Improvements to Connected Franchise Mode

As Ultimate Team has become the most-played mode in Madden NFL, many long-time fans have claimed that the rise of MUT came at the expense of other modes, such as Connected Franchise. To begin the pre-release news cycle for Madden NFL 16, EA SPORTS levied a lengthy blog detailing some of the changes and improvements coming to the game's career mode.

Throughout the mode, a revamped and streamlined user interface helps users see more pertinent information in one location. This even permeates in-game action as users will be given in-game goals and post-play goal feedback. Some of this feedback appears at the bottom of the screen in a 'ticker,' which has some wondering if scores of other games and perhaps even stats will be shown there, similarly to that found in NCAA Football.

Other improvements include new scouting and combine stats, draft feedback, free practice, and tuning to confidence and owner mode finances. Worth noting are two new commissioner tools: Members List and Sim W/L. The description for Members List sounds similar to that of Dynasty Central in NCAA Football and Sim W/L was a heavily requested feature for Online Dynasty Commissioners for years.

While many of the changes were warranted if not directly requested, some in the community have expressed reservations towards the heavy focus on an XP system and perhaps too heavy of use of numbers throughout the mode. Check out the official EA SPORTS blog and an article from Game Informer with additional CFM details then share your thoughts with the community.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 25 Things To Know About Madden NFL 16’s Franchise Mode started by CLW View original post
    Comments 89 Comments
      Escobar -
      I use certain personnel for certain plays/formations so using a combination of the formation subs and right stick subs lets me set everything up just the way I want. I hate how it is in Madden. (Having to set it every game in CFM, not being able to sub someone out for one play quickly like I can in NCAA). I usually already know what play I want to call as soon as the current play ends and if I want to make a quick swap it adds extra time before and after the next play, and sometimes if I pick that play/package at the last minute may run out of time making the sub.
      skipwondah33 -
      How do you sub someone out in NCAA for another player? If you want your number 3 RB in or #4 CB, or any sub that you didn't think of before the game you are playing. How do you do that in NCAA without pausing the game?

Sure if you have a predetermined formation sub, but in every game I don't feel the same way about my substitutions and who plays. They literally can change on the fly. That is impossible in NCAA.

The TE at WR example...say in I-Form or Singleback Ace Normal. In NCAA either he is always at the WR spot via formation subs (before the game) or you aren't getting him from that spot without pausing the game am I correct? Even with package subs unless you do the RB to WR option (if available). I use that because maybe I am playing a guy who has short or weak CB's and want him there at that very time during the game or I am running a Toss play to that side.

I have plenty of time playing users who pick their plays fast to make subs. Usually I'll do it the very first play on Defense for all the formations I can think of at the time. So that shows you how fast it can be done. And I have ALOT of Defensive formations and still get my play called.

Since we play our League via unranked games, every game is a new game. There isn't a need to have subs carried over game after game say because of injuries, etc.

The game should have both options, maybe for the CFM crowd. But I much rather prefer the method they have over that one if push came to shove. Setting and leaving without having the ability to change what you have already done without pausing of course... leaves little flexibility IMO.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
      Oh I do use it a good bit...even though it still has that timing delay issue I have experienced the past 2 or so versions. Where you will hold the stick and it doesn't seem to move as responsive or quickly as you would think it would. That is limited though. Like the LB Rush package doesn't put your DE's at the DT spots which I like to do.

Even still what if one of my speed backs is rated rather low and 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Wouldn't want to have him at the #2 spot because don't want him to be the "swap RB" back in every formation. Don't want to set him as the starting RB in a certain formation because I wouldn't want that all the time of course. I used the Archer example for Pittsburgh. I don't use Archer as the #2 RB, only on spot duty plays..having that luxury is wonderful because I can't keep pausing to set and reorder my depth chart during league games just for a few subs.

The ability to literally have any RB in any formation at any given time is just so much better to me. Not just RB, any position.

Putting a big TE at WR around the endzone, subbing in a lower rated but faster CB at the Nickel spot on CB blitzes, etc.

That last example I use all the time in Madden. William *** is the Nickel CB in my set. He isn't very fast in Madden terms, but Antwon Blake is so I can swap him in on a blitz, then have him right back out in no time in the same or any other formation. He's like the 5th CB on the depth chart based on rating. Of course I put him as 4th on the depth chart but wouldn't matter if he was 102 on the chart, I'd still be able to put him in any formation on the fly
      An excellent description as to why formation subs are a must for football games. I just don't get why EA/Tiburon doesn't get this???
      Rudy -
      Because all EA cares about is head to head and formation subs could lead to cheese and is not a factor for their bottom line.

Every decision they make is based on 1) will this feature earn me more money and 2) how will it boost online numbers and profit from MUT? The offline gamer and cpu logic has been an after thought for a long time. There is no money in Micro transactions offline so it gets the shaft . There is no excuse for how horrible cpu qb AI is or how poor offline tendencies are. It's about allocating resources and focus and EA stopped caring about the offline gamer a long time ago.

I've about had it with their direction the last few years. Madden 16 officially is listed at $79.99 in Canada and with tax it's a hair over $90. If I don't see real improvements for me I will be voting with my wallet. I have rejected EA football titles in the past. They will have to earn my money this year.
      skipwondah33 -
      Both of those are both correct, though don't think cheese is a factor that formation subs aren't in. Just like NCAA I'd assume there would be limits on who could play what position. Granted I'm sure if there is a way then yes someone would find a way to abuse it heavily.

Think the main reason is that since the online roster changes so frequently it would wreck formation subs and you would find yourself doing them over and over and over on a weekly basis. Now of course that is just the ranked/unranked online only crowd.

That is why I said to put the option in for the CFM crowd. They aren't affected by the roster updates weekly, so if it could be implemented for that and offline it probably wouldn't be an issue.
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Because all EA cares about is head to head and formation subs could lead to cheese and is not a factor for their bottom line.

Every decision they make is based on 1) will this feature earn me more money and 2) how will it boost online numbers and profit from MUT? The offline gamer and cpu logic has been an after thought for a long time. There is no money in Micro transactions offline so it gets the shaft . There is no excuse for how horrible cpu qb AI is or how poor offline tendencies are. It's about allocating resources and focus and EA stopped caring about the offline gamer a long time ago.

I've about had it with their direction the last few years. Madden 16 officially is listed at $79.99 in Canada and with tax it's a hair over $90. If I don't see real improvements for me I will be voting with my wallet. I have rejected EA football titles in the past. They will have to earn my money this year.
      Plus 1
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
      Plus 1
      Yeah its pretty clear EA does not care about the single player experience any longer. It's all about random online play, MUT, FUT, NUT, etc....

Madden remains GameFly rental for a few weeks get the EASY and mail the thing back.
      skipwondah33 -
      That's been the case really since online gaming started to grow. It has just picked up more and more since 2003. It should be no surprise since the majority buy this game to play online.

Playing the CPU is never a fun experience in any sports game I don't believe, though the immersion part is what some may go for over that.
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
      That's been the case really since online gaming started to grow. It has just picked up more and more since 2003. It should be no surprise since the majority buy this game to play online.

Playing the CPU is never a fun experience in any sports game I don't believe, though the immersion part is what some may go for over that.
      More would go for play against the cpu if they would work on the ai. Try mlb15 skip it is great.
      skipwondah33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
      More would go for play against the cpu if they would work on the ai. Try mlb15 skip it is great.
      That needs continual work in general though because even that plays a factor in user vs user games, that's why I always preach for Gameplay/AI improvements over all every single version. I don't care for much else...lighting, visuals, camera angles, draft process, player likeness, sliders...none of that. AI, physics, ball and throw trajectories especially..basically anything that plays a part in the actual playing of the game.

If they ever fixed things like the below video I'd be tickled and liable to buy everyone who wanted a copy of the game on here one. So I apologize if I don't care for anything that everyone else cares about lol. Just let me throw to the damn pylon or where my guy only has a chance for once when I try to.

I haven't been into a baseball game honestly since Nintendo probably. Or I should say I haven't purchased one since. I have heard good things about it though. Do rubix cube combinations need to be done to the sliders to enjoy CPU games?
      SmoothPancakes -
      Not really. Quite a few people on OS and The Show forums play fresh out of the box with default sliders and enjoy the game. Even if you need to edit sliders, it won't take a ton of tweaks.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Not really. Quite a few people on OS and The Show forums play fresh out of the box with default sliders and enjoy the game. Even if you need to edit sliders, it won't take a ton of tweaks.
      But sliders can make a big difference. I know Rudy complains that he doesn't get CPU hitters to strikeout reaching for pitches out of the zone. I do. I get them looking, reaching and swinging at garbage inside.

However, the game is not bad out of the box, as you said.
      psusnoop -
      So Madden and NCAA take all the good they have and split it between the 2 and never use them together? I could say this is for all EA games. Why not gain a concept, implement it for all and build from that foundation?
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      But sliders can make a big difference. I know Rudy complains that he doesn't get CPU hitters to strikeout reaching for pitches out of the zone. I do. I get them looking, reaching and swinging at garbage inside.

However, the game is not bad out of the box, as you said.
      Oh definitely, you can really change how the game plays with the sliders. And unlike Madden, the sliders really work! You can notice the difference in gameplay when changing various sliders. But yeah, I was just mentioning that some play it straight out of the box with no slider changes, because they have done a great job on the game and it doesn't play bad at all out of the box if you decide to go that route. It won't take weeks and months of slider tweeking and retweeking to try and find the perfect slider set like it does with Madden.
      Rudy -
      I haven't played the show 15 so I can't comment on cpu plate discipline but in the past I felt the CPU was too disciplined on balls outside the zone - mainly breaking ball stuff. I'd like to see less control and discipline on the junk. I could get the CPU to chase with 2 strikes but too many batters had unbelievable eyes early in the count. The free swingers should be swinging more and bad ball hitters should be represented more - guys like Vlad used to be. Some guys just don't walk much and swing at a lot.

That said, playing the CPU in baseball is a lot more fun than playing a human imo. And basketball games can be good too. It's only disappointing in football because the ai is so bad.
      SmoothPancakes -
      You got a point there. I have had some serious fun playing games against the CPU in both NBA 2K and MLB The Show. After a ton of slider tweaks, I was able to finally enjoy games against the CPU in NCAA to keep my dynasty rolling along.

Madden, I don't know, I've never been able to string together a couple games in a row against the CPU that I enjoyed. I would always end up simming games and going through seasons acting like a GM trying to improve the team through trades, free agency and the draft, rather than actually play the games.
      skipwondah33 -
      I didn't care much for games in 2K against cpu. Haven't played it since 2K14 though. I'd much rather play users in all. Nothing like that human element of someone messing up. I really hate messing with sliders. Usually just set to hardest difficulty and play it.

It's rather impossible in NCAA and Madden to play both on default Heisman and All-Madden. They both predict what you will run and you won't stop or sack them for the world. Luckily that's a thing of the past in Madden for me since not in CFM league for a bit
      jaymo76 -
      So here is the fundamental difference between EA Tiburon and EA Canada (Vancouver)... EA Canada listens to its customers and makes changes accordingly. Case in point: a few weeks ago it was announced that player editing was not a priority for NHL 16. The OS forums went nuts and now it has been announced that editing will be available in ALL modes and AHL games will be playable again.

Contrast the above with Madden.
      * Formation subs... no
      * weekly wrap-up... no
      * custom packages... no
      * draft board... no
      * practise roster... no
      * in-game score ticker... no
      * editable rosters in CFM... no
      * cpu vs cpu... no

etc. etc. etc.

EA Canada tries to make a game that players want to play while Tiburon makes a game and expects us to play it the way they want us to play it. EA Canada has its flaws no doubt but at least they listen to what the customer wants. When was the last time you heard someone who plays madden say, "man I wish the game had a goal tracking ticker on the screen"?
      steelerfan -
      To be clear, Rudy, the results in being on MLB15 are the same as MLB14.

I use Quick Counts though so maybe that is why I don't share your frustration.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      To be clear, Rudy, the results in being on MLB15 are the same as MLB14.

I use Quick Counts though so maybe that is why I don't share your frustration.
      It's not a huge frustration, just a minor one. There isn't any one area where the Show is bad at. They are mediocre to great in every area.

And skip, if you don't like sliders then Madden vs cpu is terrible. I can't think of a worse sports game on default sliders than EA football. In the Show you don't have to make crazy changes. In Madden you will use 0 and 100 and still be pissed off at things since the sliders have sucked for awhile. Look at all the sliders nba 2k gives you. Then look at live and they had zero! As an offline gamer sliders are often the difference between loving and hating a game. Some EA developers need to get their head out of their ass in this area.