• No Augusta National in Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR

Assumed by many, on Monday EA SPORTS confirmed through its Twitter account that Augusta National Golf course will not be included in the June release Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR.

The covers for Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12, 13, & 14 all included text or a logo indicating inclusion of The Masters. Once the Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR cover was revealed with no Augusta text or logo, immediate speculation was that the famed course would no longer be included.

The true direction of Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR remains to be seen. The initial teaser video for the game highlighted graphics and the battleship coming ashore during the action. Since that video, the franchise has found itself facing the belief - and concern of some - that the game will feature an arcade focus. As part of their previous deal, Augusta National was allowed creative control over how the golf course was utilized and presented.

This article was originally published in forum thread: No Augusta in Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR started by cdj View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      JBHuskers -

Damn, but good to hear it's possible post-release.

Augusta is difficult to work with though. It was a minor miracle that it was in the game to begin with. They were VERY particular with the way it played, what golfers wore, etc.
      skipwondah33 -
      When Tiger's name was on it was possible

Granted Nike had to give the OK on that apparently haha, since they own the name/rights Tiger Woods

EA doesn't want to shell out the money right now before they see the sales
      CLW -
      Not surprised I suspect Augusta wanted a nice chunk of change and not sure this title sells well enough to pay that kind of $ for one course.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Not surprised I suspect Augusta wanted a nice chunk of change and not sure this title sells well enough to pay that kind of $ for one course.
      They were VERY particular. If a ball bounced the wrong way on the course, they wanted it fixed.
      SCClassof93 -
      100% of the money Augusta received from the game went to charity. Poor EA could not satisfy those very particular folks? If they are so difficult and demanding why pursue opportunities to get them back? ? Unless pursue opportunities is kind of like looking into another patch...
      SmoothPancakes -

#TheScriptIsDead
      SCClassof93 -
      I guess we will find out soon if EA retained rights to the other 3 majors.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      They were VERY particular. If a ball bounced the wrong way on the course, they wanted it fixed.
      Well "If it's in the game....."

IF the ONLY issue was that Augusta wanted their course to be sim then perhaps EA should just start making Hot Shots Golf type games
      skipwondah33 -

IF the ONLY issue was that Augusta wanted their course to be sim then perhaps EA should just start making Hot Shots Golf type games
      Or didn't want terms dictated to them on how to make their game for said course. Surprised all the course/club owners don't require it

Who knows, there are various reasons actual representations or names aren't in video games.

Similarly...there was a reason not many games could feature Michael Jordan in their game officially...although 2K has of course recently licensed him.

That NCAA thing worked out well for them...I wouldn't want to fork out any more money than I had to at the moment lol
      JBHuskers -

I didn't say it was the only issue. I was just saying how particular things had to be to have Augusta in the game. It sounds like they are trying to re-negotiate though.
      gigemaggs99 -
      As long as it's a good golf game I'm still in. It's a shame that Augusta is not there but I'll still buy. I like golf too much. Have they announced a firm release date? Right now I find "June".
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
      Have they announced a firm release date? Right now I find "June".
      They have not.

Complete guess is that they are seeing how the game shapes up down the stretch (to avoid delays or see if one is necessary) and also to determine a solid release date (IE: away from or before Arkham Knight on June 23 and/or other June releases).