• FIFA 15 - FUT Adds 'Price Ranges'

On Monday, FIFA Ultimate Team added a new feature to the Transfer Market called 'Price Ranges.' Once in place, all FUT items will have a low and high rice range that each item can be sold for on the Transfer Market. Designed in part to help restrict illegitimate coin transfers on the Transfer Market and to help establish a 'level playing field' and to make the mode 'more fun and fair for everyone.'

The move has been met by criticism by many in the FUT community including some who took to YouTube and other social media outlets to voice their concerns.

Continue on to see the full blog directly from EA SPORTS on Price Ranges as well as some of the community criticism and concerns.

Starting today, we are introducing an important new feature to the FIFA Ultimate Team Transfer Market called Price Ranges.

Once this feature has been activated, all FUT items (players, in-forms, consumables, and club items) in FIFA Ultimate Team will have a Price Range that sets the highest and lowest Coin prices that each item can be sold on the Transfer Market.

These new features are designed to:

• Help FUT gamers understand the value of the players in their Club.
    • Make high-rated players more attainable for all FUT gamers and ensure a level playing field.
    • Further restrict illegitimate coin transfers on the Transfer Market.

Although the new FUT item Price Ranges will differ from current prices, their relative value to other player items on the Transfer Market will remain consistent in order to maintain a level playing field for everyone.

Here are some more important notes about Price Ranges:

• All Price Ranges will be universal across Xbox, PlayStation and PC.
    • When you list an item on the Transfer Market, the range at which an item can be sold will appear. These price ranges will be set by the FIFA Team based on analysis of past Transfer Market prices.
    • Open bid transfers will be unavailable after Price Ranges have been activated. In order to list an item on the Transfer Market, you will have to set a “Buy It Now” price within the Price Range.
    • The Price Range for each FUT item will be set wide enough for you to still enjoy trading on the Transfer Market.
    • The Price Range for certain players may be adjusted in the future as we work to improve this feature over time.
    • New ‘in-form’ FUT player items will receive a Price Range upon release.

We believe the long-term benefits of this new change will make FUT more fun and fair for everyone.

We know that this is a significant change to FUT, and so we want your feedback. We are confident that, in the long run, the FUT community as a whole will come to appreciate the balanced benefits that this new feature will bring to all FUT players, but it’s important you let us know what you think.

In conjunction with these changes, the Transfer Market will remain inaccessible from the Web and Companion Apps.

We look forward to hearing your feedback on Price Ranges. Be sure to follow @EASPORTSFIFA on Twitter, and LIKE us on Facebook to know when the feature has been activated.

Some of the concerns and criticisms from the community:

This article was originally published in forum thread: FIFA 15 - FUT Adds 'Price Ranges' started by cdj View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
      JBHuskers -
      I get how selling off a Messi for 100 coins is wrong, but putting a 5M minimum on it is wrong too. The market for cards in all Ultimate Team modes decline over time for the most part, and this takes away from making it a true market.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      I get how selling off a Messi for 100 coins is wrong, but putting a 5M minimum on it is wrong too. The market for cards in all Ultimate Team modes decline over time for the most part, and this takes away from making it a true market.
      Yeah I don't get it. If I want to sell all my cards to my good friend JB for 100 coins or some crappy cards that is my prerogative. Moreover, creating false markets by creating a minimum ruins the virtual "economy" EA setup.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Yeah I don't get it. If I want to sell all my cards to my good friend JB for 100 coins or some crappy cards that is my prerogative. Moreover, creating false markets by creating a minimum ruins the virtual "economy" EA setup.
      Exactly!
      steelerfan -
      Don't play and don't care but leveling the playing field instead of allowing CLW to give all his good cards to JB seems fair to me.

#TheScriptIsDead
      cdj -
      IMO it would be better for the user if they could see the low-high or average price for a card over a certain time-frame (or maybe historically with high-low and charted average over time) but still sell it for any price they see fit.

Like you guys said, I see this being more of a way for EA to control the market (read: profits).

There is a big issue with scams and illegitimate transactions in FUT, but I don't think this is going to stop that. Instead they have enraged some loyal FUT fans who likely were not trying to game the system.
      JBHuskers -
      Once the bottom line is affected, then it'll change back.
      steelerfan -
      Played my first 2 FUT matches this morning. Had fun, played Deuce.

I didn't realize he was inviting me to a FUT match until after I accepted. My team was a mess (had a 50 GK) but I managed a split (W 1-0, L 3-1).

I just don't ever see playing randoms so I doubt I'll get any real mileage out of it.

#TheScriptIsDead
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Played my first 2 FUT matches this morning. Had fun, played Deuce.

I didn't realize he was inviting me to a FUT match until after I accepted. My team was a mess (had a 50 GK) but I managed a split (W 1-0, L 3-1).

I just don't ever see playing randoms so I doubt I'll get any real mileage out of it.

#TheScriptIsDead
      I didn't really play many randoms, but there are a lot of single player tournaments you can play and earn coins to build your team.
      steelerfan -
      I didn't really play many randoms, but there are a lot of single player tournaments you can play and earn coins to build your team.
      Yeah. Not sure how much I'd mess with that but I may try it out.

#TheScriptIsDead
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah. Not sure how much I'd mess with that but I may try it out.

#TheScriptIsDead
      I kinda figure with your knowledge of players that you might enjoy building a team from scratch.
      steelerfan -
      I kinda figure with your knowledge of players that you might enjoy building a team from scratch.
      I just prefer Manager Career.

However, I'm about to finish a season and there isn't much point in starting another with The Show dropping in 3 weeks. So, maybe I'll mess with FUT when I want to play FIFA.

#TheScriptIsDead
      steelerfan -
      So I've given FUT a little bit of a go. I bought Gary Cahill, Nemanja Matic and Oscar. I've played 3 matches in the lowest tournament and won 15-0, 6-0 and 13-0 (yeah, FUT is *** like that).

After my 3rd match - a 13-0 win over Nottingham Forest - I received ZERO coins. Nice fuckin' glitch.

FUT sucks.

#TheScriptIsDead
      cdj -
      Yeah, anytime you run into an UT issue (connection dropping midgame, poor/zero coin distribution, etc.) it makes you not want to play it again for a while.

I've never played FUT, but I believe LUT pays out in solo games significantly higher than MUT. Getting zero for a solo would be aggravating.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Yeah, anytime you run into an UT issue (connection dropping midgame, poor/zero coin distribution, etc.) it makes you not want to play it again for a while.

I've never played FUT, but I believe LUT pays out in solo games significantly higher than MUT. Getting zero for a solo would be aggravating.
      Yeah. I'm not wasting much more time with it. I've got enough of a team that I can WHOOP Deuce if he challenges me again.

That's all I needed. [emoji14]

#TheScriptIsDead
      CLW -
      I see lots of words liberals love: "fairness" "balanced" "illegitmate"/"fraudulent" (referring to a free market economy) "level the playing field"
      steelerfan -
      I see lots of words liberals love: "fairness" "balanced" "illegitmate"/"fraudulent" (referring to a free market economy) "level the playing field"
      You obviously have NO FUCKING IDEA how much cheating goes on in FUT.

#TheScriptIsDead
      cdj -
      The Guardian has a good article on the changes to FUT and how many are saying the mode is now "broken." (Not sure 'broken' is the right word, but I digress.)

SF is right - there is a LOT of cheating and scamming in the mode, but these 'fairness fixes' are also lessening the experience for some FUT users. EA is in a tough spot, but if UT revenue stays strong this system isn't going away.

Fifa 15 is not broken, insists Electronic Arts

While something needed to be done, many questioned EA’s need to apply a minimum price value to cards. Rather than level the playing field, in many cases it saw FUT players lumbered with unshiftable commodities. For instance, only last week the market was swamped with gold Daniel Sturridge cards, all unsold at their minimum value of 16,000 coins.

Across the series’ official forums it’s clear that most devoted players remain critical of the change. Intriguingly, however, fans do offer some balanced, even positive, feedback via the message boards of individual clubs – suggesting that while these new arrangements don’t suit FUT die-hards, more casual players of the mode are benefitting.

“It’s been better for me,” writes a Crystal Palace fan called Tomo. “As someone who hasn’t been inclined to spend real money, I’ve never really had more than 100K coins at one time, and am more likely to have 30-40K. It now feels like I’m on a more even playing field – that I can prosper with a bit of luck in my packs or by selling a player at the right time. Average players definitely do sell where they wouldn’t before.”

Everton supporter Pablo P agrees. “I can see the benefit if it actually does stop coin sellers – the likelihood of that is slim to none, though,” he writes. “People will still buy coins as the prices [of top players] will still be in the millions.” He feels the company should be prioritising elsewhere anyway: “I’d much rather they invested as much time into their servers, and ensuring that the sweats were match-made against the sweats.” ‘Sweats’ is a term for Fifa fans who only play teams loaded with world class players, or resort to underhand tactics to win games, such as endlessly knocking the ball around their back four after establishing a lead.

The loudest independent voices where Fifa is concerned, however, stem from Youtube, with some channels devoted to the game having a reach to rival EA itself. They remain largely dubious as to the company’s motivations, and cite numerous examples of ways in which they believe the mode to be broken beyond repair.

“I’ve got a load of good players in my club, but I only have 4,000 coins,” explains JMX25, a Youtuber with over 275,000 subscribers, in a video uploaded this week. “The problem is I can’t sell anyone, which means I can’t get any more money to buy other plays.”
      CLW -
      You obviously have NO FUCKING IDEA how much cheating goes on in FUT.

#TheScriptIsDead
      "Cheating" - unless users are creating coins/cards out of thin air (or somehow literally stealing them through some glitch/trick) then there is no "cheating"

If its the user's card he/she should be able to sell it to anyone for any price they want.

I sold my entire MUT team (which I earned by playing the game legitmately) to JB for a bunch of nothing cards. Are JB and I "cheaters"? No I simply exercised my right to sell my property (MUT Team) for a discounted price to a friend.
      steelerfan -
      "Cheating" - unless users are creating coins/cards out of thin air (or somehow literally stealing them through some glitch/trick) then there is no "cheating"

If its the user's card he/she should be able to sell it to anyone for any price they want.

I sold my entire MUT team (which I earned by playing the game legitmately) to JB for a bunch of nothing cards. Are JB and I "cheaters"? No I simply exercised my right to sell my property (MUT Team) for a discounted price to a friend.
      When it's done on a small scale like you've done, it's cheating but it doesn't really affect anything. When there are websites and businesses solely dedicated to selling coins, it's a problem.

#TheScriptIsDead