• Community Review of LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

The LEGO video game series has become a constant in the industry: a franchise where the games are entertaining, family friendly, and most importantly, fun. When it comes to being family friendly, that doesn't just mean it is suitable for children. The LEGO series biggest strength is that parents, children, and those with basic video game skills can have fun playing together.

Continue on to read the rest of cdj's review of LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham is no exception as it captures the same feel as found in its predecessor LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes. The story begins with the heroes of DC Comics facing off once again against the DC villains until a larger threat - Brainiac - threatens the planet, at which point the two sides work together to defeat the extraterrestrial android. (His appearance as the primary antagonist was teased in LEGO Batman 2.) This storyline has some coincidences with the rumored plot for the DC Cinematic Universe which begins in 2016.

For fans of DC Comics, the game features 150+ playable characters which should see most readers favorite personas in the game. However, for those who only follow the mainstream franchises (Batman, Superman, et al.), prepare to spend some time on Google learning more about the more obscure characters.

Playing through the game, it is evident that the developers and design team did their homework and are passionate fans of DC Comics. It is not always evident (sometimes to the contrary) if a studio is truly interested in the subject matter at hand, however that is not the case with the LEGO Batman team.

The game wisely includes characters and a level devoted to the 1960s Batman series. With actors from that show getting older in age, this was a great nod to give them a proverbial tip of the cap. Without that series, who knows if Batman or even comics in general would have been given the television and theatrical treatment they have today. This is not to mention the pop culture influence Adam West and company still have even today. LEGO Batman 3 does such a great job with the 1960s series, I could not help but feel perhaps it deserved its own game or additional DLC at some point.

Speaking of DLC, the Season Pass is relatively inexpensive at just $14.99 for six packs. The packs include: Dark Knight Trilogy, Batman 75th Anniversary, Man of Steel, Arrow, Bizarro World, and the [Suicide] Squad. The DLC levels are rather short, but do include a bevy of additional characters.

While the game builds on the fun factor found in other LEGO franchises, there are some frustrating technical issues within Beyond Gotham. The fixed camera angle in local co-op sometimes will let you move your character off-screen or find it difficult to see to the edge of certain areas in a world. There are also instances where it is extremely difficult to change your playable character, so much so that I have found myself avoiding playing as Superman or Martian Manhunter in Story Mode whenever possible, for example.

Overall, LEGO Batman 3: Beyond is very enjoyable with high replayability as users work to find items using the bevy of characters while earning trophies/achievements. Despite some issues, the game is fun and I would especially recommend it to those who desire for their video games to be accommodating for the entire family.

- 'Details' that show dev team are fans of DC Comics
    - Family-friendly: Suitable for children and easy to learn for video game novices

DISLIKES:
    - Issues with Local Co-op Fixed camera angle (See photo above.)
    - Issues changing characters in some areas (Story Mode) when using Superman, Martian Manhunter, etc.
    - Short DLC levels

Time Played: Over 25 hours, all in local co-op
    Game received as personal gift, not from Traveler's Tales/WB.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham and its Season Pass (PS4) are currently available at Amazon.

- Are you interested in writing/submitting your own community reviews for games here at The Gaming Tailgate? Send a private message to cdj, gschwendt, or JBHuskers for more information. We would love to publish and promote them here at TGT!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Community Review of LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham started by cdj View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Rudy -
      Nice review!
      steelerfan -
      Very nice work, Chris. Excellent job!

Was this played on PS4? I do not follow this series (or any LEGO games) so pardon me of that is a dumb question.

#TheScriptIsDead
      cdj -
      This was on PS4, but I think the game is available (and the same) for almost every console. (Vita/mobile versions likely scaled down or different though. I think current and last gen are the same, however.)
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      This was on PS4, but I think the game is available (and the same) for almost every console. (Vita/mobile versions likely scaled down or different though. I think current and last gen are the same, however.)

#TheScriptIsDead